fmpro

Weekend Estimates (Easter 2013) pg 13

Why are people saying GI Joe 2 is dissapointing? It wasn't expected to match the first domestically wasn't it?

when a sequel goes from 150M to 100M, that is generally considered disappointing, even if you can see it coming.

• Like 1

I don't think Tyler Perry movies are bad. I just don't think largely white-washed movie critics and internet fanboys understand their appeal. I'm white, but growing up in Miami, the large majority of my friends are black or Hispanic. Quite a lot of them saw Temptation yesterday and see the Madea movies, because they enjoy and connect with them. Just because Roger Moore doesn't get it, doesn't make it a bad movie. 

• Like 2

It's gonna do more than 100m though. It should be past 50m by Tuesday. From 150m to 130m is not a big drop.

It's also a little unfair, since I'd attribute some of that drop is due to the first movie anyway (since it wasnt all that well liked).Not to mention, the budget on this film is a decent bit lower than the first film. And this seems like itll def outgross the first film internationally, and in the end overall worldwide.I'm having a hard time saying this Ida disappointment. Costs less, makes more, and is better received....doesn't equal disappointment in my book, especially since it'll prolly be profitable.Saw the movie myself today. Fun movie, enjoyable action flick. I thought the first movie sucked balls. Edited by kowhite
  • Like 1

1. GI Joe: Retaliation (Paramount) Week 1 [Runs 3,719] PG13Wed/Thurs $10.5M, Friday $15.5M, Weekend $40.0M, Cume $50.0M

2. The Croods (DreamWorks Animation/Fox) Week 2 [Runs 4,065] PGFriday $10.7M (-8%), Weekend $26.8M, Cume $88.9M

3. Tyler Perry’s Temptation (Lionsgate) NEW [Runs 2,047] PG13Friday $9.3M, Weekend $21.7M

4. The Host (Open Road) NEW [Runs 3,202] PG13Friday $5.2M, Weekend $12.3M

5. Olympus Has Fallen (FilmDistrict) Week 2 [Runs 3,106] RFriday $4.7M (-52%), Weekend $13.7M, Cume $54.4M

6. Oz The Great and Powerful (Disney) Week 4 [Runs 3,324] PGFriday $4.3M, Weekend $10.5M, Cume $197.1M

7. The Call (TriStar/Sony) Week 3 [Runs 2,439] RFriday $1.7M, Weekend $4.7M, Cume $39.4M

8. Admission (Focus Features) Week 2 [Runs 2,161] PG13Friday $1.1M (-44%), Weekend $3.2M, Cume $11.8M

9. Spring Breakers (A24) Week 3 [Runs 1,379] RFriday $1M, Weekend $2.7M, Cume $10.0M

10. Incredible Burt Wonderstone (Warner Bros) Week 3 [Runs 1,575] PG13Friday $490K, Weekend $1.2M, Cume $20.5M

I thought the first GI Joe was pretty cool in theaters (I saw it because the coaches took the football team), but then I rewatched it on Redbox and I was like "wtf is this video game? this is stupid". The theater really provides a whole other experience. Honestly though, GI Joe 1 is good at being rewatchable on cable on a Saturday when there's nothing else to do.

Edited by jandrew

SUNDAY 3 AM, 7TH UPDATE: Writethru coming with full analysis. I  wanted to wait to see more weekend grosses. Saturday was flat and even down compared to Friday.

1. GI Joe: Retaliation (Paramount) Week 1 [Runs 3,719] PG13
Wed/Thurs $10.5M, Friday $15.5M, Saturday $15.2M, Weekend $41.5M, Cume $52.0M

2. The Croods (DreamWorks Animation/Fox) Week 2 [Runs 4,065] PG
Friday $10.7M, Saturday $9.4M, Weekend $26.0M (-40%), Cume $88.1M

3. Tyler Perry’s Temptation (Lionsgate) NEW [Runs 2,047] PG13
Friday $9.3M, Saturday $8.1M, Weekend $22.5M

4. Olympus Has Fallen (FilmDistrict) Week 2 [Runs 3,106] R
Friday $4.7M, Saturday $5.7M, Weekend $14.0M (-54%), Cume $54.7M

5. Oz The Great and Powerful (Disney) Week 4 [Runs 3,324] PG
Friday $4.3M, Saturday $4.2M, Weekend $11.5M, Cume $198.2M

6. The Host (Open Road) NEW [Runs 3,202] PG13
Friday $5.2M, Saturday $3.4M, Weekend $10.7M

Edited by kayumanggi

That is quite good for Joe. It stayed flat which is pretty amazing considering is Easter weekend. With 50,000,000 dollars in 4 days it will easily sore past 100 mill. Plus with Monday being a day off for a lot of schools it should have a good hold on Monday. However as been mentioned before the domestic gross really is not all that important. It is having a huge numbers internationally. Nikki reports its at 70 mill internationally. So a debut of 120-130 mill WW.

That is terrible for the THE HOST.

It is indeed. Surprisingly good hold for GIJoe though. Much better than expected.

What happened to CROODS ? It should have hold better than Joe, right ?

Croods is more of a kids/family movie, so it's going to be more hurt by Holy Saturday and Easter Vigil services.

• Like 1