RyneOh1040

Friday Numbers - ED 30M+, JP 17 (30M and 17M predicted OW)

Well, I can't argue that but maybe I'm just expecting people to be a bit smarter. How do the film makers know what is scary and what isn't? Fear is subjective. IMO, people who went opening weekend SHOULD have known what they were getting into.

• Founder / Operator

Well, I can't argue that but maybe I'm just expecting people to be a bit smarter. How do the film makers know what is scary and what isn't? Fear is subjective. IMO, people who went opening weekend SHOULD have known what they were getting into.

True, but why should/would they start now? :lol::P

• Like 2

You answered your own question. The reason the CS is low is because horror movies have the hardest time pleasing people. Why? Fear is very, very, very subjective.

• Like 1

• Founder / Operator

CS is useless for horrors. Since most horrors, despite the reviews, get C+/- CS.

Exactly. And it's usually because the sampled audience is so large on a movie like this that opens well that it includes more than just horror fans--whom are likely representing the higher grades in the average.

I will never understand what was scary about The Strangers. It was one of the dumbest movies I've ever seen. It scared me as much as puppy dogs and rainbows do.

Eye of the beholder, I guess.  More real-life, unexaggerated settings tend to frighten me much more.  The fact that a couple was just preyed on and taunted by a group of people who were just insane seemed very real to me, and terrified me.  Also the fact that the characters in the film acted reasonably and STILL don't manage to get out.I can separate things in my mind like the Evil Dead but I have a tough time being alone in a wooded area and not thinking about the Strangers.

Edited by RyneOh1040
  • Like 1

I'm guessing ED is getting a wide spectrum of reactions, from love it, best horror ever, to hate it, worst movie ever. Some people just don't buy into gore as entertainment and the cornier aspects shone through (pretty much all of the Deadite dialogue). I can't imagine it doing any worse than any other unique horror in recent memory, like TCITW.

Horror is all subjective. As I posted in review this movie, I loathed the Evil Dead. It wasn't scary, there was no illusion of "bump in the night" terror- it was all just gore, gore, gore. But alot of people (not in my theater) liked it alot. So it's all subjective. More realistic, slow burn horror scares me alot more than exaggerated gore, but for others, it's vice versa.

• Like 1

Horror is all subjective. As I posted in review this movie, I loathed the Evil Dead. It wasn't scary, there was no illusion of "bump in the night" terror- it was all just gore, gore, gore. But alot of people (not in my theater) liked it alot. So it's all subjective. More realistic, slow burn horror scares me alot more than exaggerated gore, but for others, it's vice versa.

Agreed. I still thought ED was enjoyable, but it was lacking in real scares.

• Like 1

Croods, it seems, might narrowly miss out on 200m. If it follows HTTYD closely from here on, then it will finish with 195m.

I think it'll fall faster than HTTYD. I'm still guessing JP3D will eat into the family audience at least this weekend and cut its legs a bit. And besides HTTYD was a far better movie IMO so I doubt its legs were as good to begin with.

Croods, it seems, might narrowly miss out on 200m. If it follows HTTYD closely from here on, then it will finish with 195m.

Even 170 M is already a good finish. That's better than MEGAMIND and PUSS IN BOOTS.