Iron Man 3 (2013)  

144 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

There was laughs, this movie way funnier than Avengers

I agree with this...while the Avengers had a few big laughs (mainly Hulk punching Thor and Hulk beating the shit of of Loki) IM3 is more consistently funny throughout and funnier overall to me too.  I also think IM3 has better pacing...the first 30-40min of TA drags more and more each time I watch it and it seems like there are only two things going on in that movie, the airship and NY, that's it.  I still think TA is better than IM3 and a great movie though.

• Like 3

Dora the Explorer "Limited Edition" watch also proved to be pretty popular both times I watched. Also, did anyone else notice a replacement of said "Limited Edition" watch among the goodies Tony sent to Harley at the end? The new watch was right there next to the note from "The Mechanic". D'awww.  

• Like 1

I didn't mind the twist but its really stupid how it came off as a joke.Ben Kingsley was this close to being the best Villain, had they continued with him being The Mandarin.

• Like 1

The "I don't even wanna work here" line got the best reaction in my screening, and rightfully so.  Up there with the Hulk's big moments in TA as the funniest MCU moment, for me. 

That was a really fun scene. I cannot believe nobody ever thought of doing that even once before in the history of action films!

• Like 2

I didn't mind the twist but its really stupid how it came off as a joke.Ben Kingsley was this close to being the best Villain, had they continued with him being The Mandarin.

Frankly, I'm glad about the twist. Kingsley would have joined the long assembly line of Joker-influenced villains like Skyfall's Bardem and ST's Cumberbatch to name a few if they had played straight with The Mandarin, but the twist made him unique and awesome.

• Like 1

Frankly, I'm glad about the twist. Kingsley would have joined the long assembly line of Joker-influenced villains like Skyfall's Bardem and ST's Cumberbatch to name a few if they had played straight with The Mandarin, but the twist made him unique and awesome.

yeah but Skyfall's Bardem and Heath's Joker (don't know about STID guy yet) are some of the most memorable recent villains (and Joker of all time) and Mandarin could have been so great and I just feel really gypped after the twist.

• Like 3

I have to agree with baumer, ShawnMR, Alfred Beyond the Pines, and others here regarding the film. After thinking it over, I like the movie even less now, and the actual rating I would give it is a C+.

I can't remember what I rated IM2 at, but after some thoughtful consideration, this movie to me is just as mediocre as IM2, just in a different way.

Also to those that claim the movie has "consistent comic book logic", sorry but you're totally wrong. in the comic books, Tony is a genius just like in the films. So by comic book logic, Tony would have had some technology like sensors or radar ALERT him that a missile was coming right at his house. Also Tony would have had SOME sort of protection or defense against a weapon coming towards his house, being the genius that he is. Also by the far-fetched comic book logic of the film, Tony should have EASILY been able to get a suit onto himself and save Pepper from the fall. Lastly going by comic book logic, Killian should have EASILY been able to survive being blown up by Pepper. I hate repeating previous points, but it really annoyed me how *inconsistent* the movie was with its comic book logic.

If Shane Black wanted to make another buddy comedy film, he should have done as such, and should have stayed far away from directing an IRON MAN film, a superhero film.

• Like 4

I'll respond to you since you singled out my comment- You understood that Tony revealing his address was all part of one huge mistake he made, yes? He didn't protect his house or Pepper or himself because he didn't think about the consequences. At all. There's huge differences between actual story plotholes and character decisions. But hey, it's fine if you can't roll with the Extremis stuff because I think that's easily the most questionable part of the movie (though it never really took me out of it). It's never really clear that Guy Pearce is actually dead- he just kind of goes away- unless I missed something someone else picked up on. 

I think Shane Black knows every stock comic book movie storyline there is and he plays with some of them brilliantly. I can't give Marvel enough credit for pulling that Mandarin bait-and-switch. People say these movies are too big to take risks? Well there you go. 

• Like 3

It was different than I expected. Better than IM2, but IM1 still holds the candle as best. I didn't appreciate what they did with Mandarin; they essentially waited three movies to do Iron Man's greatest villain, but then they do dragon Guy Pearce instead? Ugh. Kingsley and Pearce were both fun villains though, and the script was funny but entertaining. The ending surprised me. On first watch, I give it an B, but I'd be surprised if it didn't go down on a rewatch.

The after credits scene was the best scene in the movie. :D

Edited by Blankments
  • Like 1

Yah. I'm not a fan of the twist because I feel you shouldn't mess up the one and only iconic Iron Man villain. Also, one other person said he was hoping that the Mandarin was acting like an actor. For a moment, I also thought that was the case, and I was just waiting for him to say gotcha. It would have been quite epic if that were the case.

• Like 1

:bop:

"How Captain America in AVENGERS gave the true meaning behind everything IRON MAN 3"

Posted Image

Kind of spoilerish, but if you've seen the movie, read on!

Iron Man 3 is Tony Stark's search for the answer to Captain America's question back in The Avengers: "Big man in a suit of armor. Take that away -- what are you?"

Tony had been holding onto his arc reactor chest piece because he thought it defined who he was as Iron Man, which is also why he spent a lot of sleepless nights building and building more armors.

In the end of IM3, with the help of the Extremis formula on Pepper, Tony could use it and also finally let his arc reactor go because he finally understood that Iron Man is the man who "built" the armor (The Mechanic) and not the armor that wears the man.

That similar meaning is also conveyed between Aldrich Killian and the real meaning behind The Mandarin. In other words, Killian was Tony, while The Mandarin was just Killian's suit of armor.

"I am the Mandarin" was what Killian said to Tony during their final battle, which did two things: 1st it highlighted probably Mandarin's most famous line "You'll never see me coming." 2nd it also reverberated the last thing Tony said before the end.

And despite that Tony no longer has any Iron Man suits to wear, it didn't matter anymore because like Tony said in the end of the film even without the armor, "I... AM Iron Man".

P.S.

On a different sidenote, Killian was the human version of The Mandarin's Fing Fang Foom complete with dragon tattoos and fire breath!

Posted Image

Great analysis of how Avengers left off and IM3 starts and continues!

Edited by Star-Lord
  • Like 1

I'll respond to you since you singled out my comment- You understood that Tony revealing his address was all part of one huge mistake he made, yes? He didn't protect his house or Pepper or himself because he didn't think about the consequences. At all. There's huge differences between actual story plotholes and character decisions. But hey, it's fine if you can't roll with the Extremis stuff because I think that's easily the most questionable part of the movie (though it never really took me out of it). It's never really clear that Guy Pearce is actually dead- he just kind of goes away- unless I missed something someone else picked up on. I think Shane Black knows every stock comic book movie storyline there is and he plays with some of them brilliantly. I can't give Marvel enough credit for pulling that Mandarin bait-and-switch. People say these movies are too big to take risks? Well there you go.

The Stark-Banner end sequence should have been after the intitial credits and then at the very end should have been Killian reforming and getting away.

I give it a C.

I felt he wasn't in the suit enough.  Didn't like the whole kid detective side story.  Pepper going wild at the end was a little cheesy.  The Mandrian/Killen Twist was over the top.  Warmachine part was so in and out it came off pointless.  The Airplace Rescure did deliver.  Tony mansion attack was cool.  The Home Depot Homemade weapons attack part I kinda liked.  The Ending Credits scene was pointless and really did nothing to get us ready for The Avengers.  Overall it was uneven.  The same hate Spidey 3 got and Xman 3 got I think IM3 kinda deserves some criticism.  It's just an uneven film.  Also The Lethal Weapon homages made me laugh (The Boat Peir shoot out, using a Nail Gun) Shane basically turned IM to a buddy cop movie.  Overall I was disappointed.  I think IM2 and IM3 are in the same boat at just being average films.  Iron Man was the only great film of the series and The Avengers Tony performance was great.  So Here's how I rate the Series:

IM1: A

IM2: C 

The Avengers: A

IM3: C

• Like 5

IM3 was a film for general audiences and not for marvel fanboys...

Even so I enjoyed it a lot and had a blast as whatever the failing of the story was made up with some cool action scenes and a lot of funny parts.

I think people can say WOM is okay but its well above IM2... 

I think when Stark's house gets attacked the film really goes off with much better action and funny scenes...

I do agree this felt like a buddy action film at times but it was quite fun and better then any big film so far this year by a mile and is miles ahead of Im2

8/10

Its no TA but its no IM2 either. 

They need to get a life when they post ad nauseum about it. I've never seen something so little blown up so big on the fan sites the way they did. Some even went out of their way to spoil the movie because they were mad their shitty character wasnt trasnlated 100% to the comics never mind half the characters in the first movie weren't either.

The thing is If you are going to have someone called the Mandarin have him be Chinese or at the very least raised or influenced by something from China.

Fair enough for business and box-office purposes they changed his ethnicity. But where is the logic calling a man Mandarin who looks Indian  supporting terrorists groups in Afghanistan and so on, making videos with dragon statues and Chinese attire when there is not one mention of anything Chinese in the damn movie?!!!! Forget translating a character 100%, they only translated his name to the screen...

Im trying really hard to reconcile that plot hole but i can't seem to figure it out.

Also you would think Tony would have a sensor/radar system to detect helicopters coming and firing missiles.  

Plus they kidnapped the PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES! Where the fuck is S.H.I.E.L.D???

I'm not a big Iron Man fan but i was really enjoying the first half of the movie. Feel disappointed that that momentum didn't carry it to the end.

If anyone has seen the China version, can you tell me if  the extra footage sorts this Mandarin plot hole out???

The thing is If you are going to have someone called the Mandarin have him be Chinese or at the very least raised or influenced by something from China.

Fair enough for business and box-office purposes they changed his ethnicity. But where is the logic calling a man Mandarin who looks Indian  supporting terrorists groups in Afghanistan and so on, making videos with dragon statues and Chinese attire when there is not one mention of anything Chinese in the damn movie?!!!! Forget translating a character 100%, they only translated his name to the screen...

Im trying really hard to reconcile that plot hole but i can't seem to figure it out.

Also you would think Tony would have a sensor/radar system to detect helicopters coming and firing missiles.  

Plus they kidnapped the PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES! Where the fuck is S.H.I.E.L.D???

I'm not a big Iron Man fan but i was really enjoying the first half of the movie. Feel disappointed that that momentum didn't carry it to the end.

If anyone has seen the China version, can you tell me if  the extra footage sorts this Mandarin plot hole out???

Umm Mandarin was changed precisely because of China ... they are strict with the portrayal of Chinese and if he was this OTT offensive chinese villain they would ban the film 

At World's End had to cut Chow Yun Fat's character cause of film's primitive portrayal of Chinese 

btw its the least problem with the film 

uneven pacing, plot holes and numerous other things are much more important 

• Like 1