Shawn Robbins

Weekend Discussion: IM3 @ 175.3m wknd est

• Founder / Operator

Marvel films previews were never really big.

But they also opened at midnight. This is new territory.

How does BOM or BO.com report these numbers? I mean is everything 3-day?

Technically, yes. We report them in the system as the studio reports them. But, for asterisk situations like this... that's what the analysis section is for. ;)

To think studios whined about WB "cheating" including the 10 PM screenings into their first day grosses for Superman Returns and now its the norm.

Heh. If you can't beat 'em, join 'em?

$15m is an excellent #, if expected.  It's funny how so many of us on this site being good at predicting #s sometimes makes finding the actuals out somewhat a little boring...OW looks to be heading to an amazing $160m-ish, but since that was a very popular prediction, it lessons it a tad.

Very true. The most exciting weekends are the breakouts that do way more than expected....Or the bombs, in which case the meltdowns are just as entertaining.

I would have thought those would have been higher than this time. "The Avengers bump" we kept hearing about. Still a great number.

Didn't you predict 335m for its total though?  :P

I think if BD2 is any indication, the 12:01 crowds tend to spread out over the three hours if shows start at 9:00. So I'll be curious to see how 15m-18m translates to today's gross, and even more curious to see how much of a family bump it gets tomorrow. 

• Founder / Operator

What were the last big movies to have a lot of previews? HOBBIT and BD2?

I was actually thinking of At World's End. It debuted at 6pm Thursday:

Thu (from 6pm): 13.24m

Fri: 42.9m

Sat: 37.7m

Sun: 34.1m

If we combine AWE's Thursday with Fri, it comes out to $56.24m with the Thu portion accounting for 23.5%. Very similar to Avengers' midnight percentage of Fri.

I think it probably ends up closer to 25%, but hard to say until that preview number is hardened a bit more.

Avengers had a 23.14% midnight ratio of Friday.

Very true. The most exciting weekends are the breakouts that do way more than expected....Or the bombs, in which case the meltdowns are just as entertaining.

There had better be some meltdowns!

• Like 1

Based on last night, midnight shows were busier then 9 pm shows so I think it would have made a similar amount on midnight.

Just because shows started 3 hours earlier does not mean it is going to perform like TDKR now..

I doubt opening day will be below 65 million...

Business today should match IM2 Non midnight +3D of around 51 million.

Not the big issue is what will be the Saturday drop as Friday has a boost to it..

Even so, I think if Im2 increased from Friday non midnight so will this.

Edited by Lordmandeep

• Founder / Operator

I'm definitely not ruling out the lack of effect of 9pm shows. We're all just guessing at this point. There's not a good comparison that I can find yet.

I was actually thinking of At World's End. It debuted at 6pm Thursday:

Thu (from 6pm): 13.24m

Fri: 42.9m

Sat: 37.7m

Sun: 34.1m

If we combine AWE's Thursday with Fri, it comes out to $56.24m with the Thu portion accounting for 23.5%. Very similar to Avengers' midnight percentage of Fri.

I think it probably ends up closer to 25%, but hard to say until that preview number is hardened a bit more.

Avengers had a 23.14% midnight ratio of Friday.

I'm pretty sure AWE was 8 PM. I remember going to an 8 PM show and there weren't earlier shows. Here is an article by Variety that says 8 PM as well:

http://variety.com/2007/film/news/disney-moves-up-pirates-opening-1117964457/