Cinderella (2015)

40 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it:

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

I absolutely loved it. Obviously the technical stuff such as sets and costumes were wonderful, but the script here is really good here in general, not just for a fairy tale movie. Both the Grand Duke and the Wicked Stepmother are three-dimensional characters, and even in the end, you feel bad for Lady Tremaine and the lot she was dealt in life, even though she is still utterly despicable. A lot of that is thanks to Blanchett's performance which is both hammy and grounded. Lily James and Richard Madden both become stars here, the former anchoring the movie with a optimism that makes Ella more than just a princess, a human being, and the latter who is appropriately charming but also has the best acting scene of the movie with Derek Jacobi near the end of the film. Branagh's direction is fantastic, and honestly, I can't really think how someone could remotely not find enjoyment in this movie. It's funny, heartfelt, and there's a lot of depth to it. A+

On Frozen Fever... it's kinda way too self-absorbed to be that enjoyable, and the plot is paper-thin, even for a short. Wasn't a fan, but the movie more than makes up for it.

EDIT: Forgot to mention the music. Utterly beautiful; Hail Doyle.

Edited by Blankments
  • Like 7

I absolutely loved it. Obviously the technical stuff such as sets and costumes were wonderful, but the script here is really good here in general, not just for a fairy tale movie. Both the Grand Duke and the Wicked Stepmother are three-dimensional characters, and even in the end, you feel bad for Lady Tremaine and the lot she was dealt in life, even though she is still utterly despicable. A lot of that is thanks to Blanchett's performance which is both hammy and grounded. Lily James and Richard Madden both become stars here, the former anchoring the movie with a optimism that makes Ella more than just a princess, a human being, and the latter who is appropriately charming but also has the best acting scene of the movie with Derek Jacobi near the end of the film. Branagh's direction is fantastic, and honestly, I can't really think how someone could remotely not find enjoyment in this movie. It's funny, heartfelt, and there's a lot of depth to it. A+

On Frozen Fever... it's kinda way too self-absorbed to be that enjoyable, and the plot is paper-thin, even for a short. Wasn't a fan, but the movie more than makes up for it.

woah you liked it more than I did. I did loved it though. Lily James was great in her role as Cinderella, and portrayed her with this calm strength and everything is dealt with so gently and the script just works really well. Kenneth Branagh's director is really what carries this film though. The cinematography was also excellent, and the score was just exquisite. I'd say that a best costume and art direction nom is pretty much in the bag for this. some scenes were just breath taking to look at. it was very close to the original animated film. but it added depth to the story and character development. and Richard Madden! was just perfect! Blanchet, was really good as perhaps an even crueler stepmother than the original. and Helena Bonham Carter's take as The Fairy Godmother was scene stealing. I did feel that maybe the voice over narration was a little overused. but overall an excellent film. by far the best live-action take Disney has done so far. A-

Also agree with you on Frozen Fever. total cash grab. for all the love behind Frozen you'd think they could put more work into a seven minute short! C for that.

Edited by Kalo
  • Like 5

The movie was absolutely perfect, spectacular and magical  :wub:  Every shot was stunning. Story is flawless, wonderful acting from the whole cast. Seriously, this was the best movie Disney has made in years. Go see it asap. You won't be disappointed.

Also, shame on the people who left the theatre after the Frozen short (which was crap btw) ...like wtf :angry:

• Like 5

The movie was absolutely perfect, spectacular and magical  :wub:  Every shot was stunning. Story is flawless, wonderful acting from the whole cast. Seriously, this was the best movie Disney has made in years. Go see it asap. You won't be disappointed.

Also, shame on the people who left the theatre after the Frozen short (which was crap btw) ...like wtf :angry:

people actually left after that??  :sick:

• Like 1

It's amazing in itself that Disney's straightest, truest live-action adaptation of their animated canon is their best, by a landslide. Sweet, gorgeous, and-- wouldn't you know it--a tried and true sense of ethics. This was perfect for Branagh's strengths as a director. 

• Like 6

• Community Manager

Helena Bonham Carter absolutely steals the show. She's an absolute delight and actually brings the movie to life for the little part that she's in it.

While Cinderalla is pretty to look at and has a great cast (Lily James is the perfect Cinderella while Eloise Webb is the perfect young Cinderella and obviously Cate Blanchett knocked it out of the park) and had a good director and a decent script...it lacked any real narrative momentum and tension. Sure, I knew how this story would play out but you can have tension even if you know the outcome..

B-

Edited by Water Bottle
  • Like 1

It's a nice film to pass the time. Liked that they gave more attention to the prince's side of the story and I especially loved his interplay with the captain. Branagh was definitely a smart choice to direct as he brings a fully realized sense of production design and dialogue to the proceedings giving it the feel of a mature period drama. Though I'd be lying if I said the emotional beats hit me much at all since he is so dang faithful to the story, and I question the decision to have the mice characters communicate with an obnoxious litany of squeaks and chirps. 

B

• Like 1

I loved the movie!

Finally a more faithful fairy tale retelling from Disney! No silliness about Alice being Xena, or Maleficent being good all along. Lily James was Cinderella in real life. Everyone was well cast, standouts were Cate Blanchett as Lady Tremaine and Helena Bonham Carter as The Fairy Godmother. The Stepmother felt much more developed as a character than the animated movie with the extra scenes they gave her in this. This is the first time Prince Charming has a personality! YES! Prince Robb "Kit" Stark was a likable guy.

The movie looked GOOD. Nice sets and gorgeous costumes. The story remained the same with a few twists, which worked out. I love that they brought back Lucifer and the mice. It'll be hard to find any CGI mice as cute as them. This was easily my favorite of all of Disney's live action retellings so far.

Frozen Fever was pretty much a cute music video, and the new song was thankfully good. It was great seeing all the Frozen characters again... now the sisters have new DRESSES! I love all the cameos from Oaken, Hans, and Marshmallow. All the scenes with the Snowgies were fun. Best part was hearing the squeals of delight coming from the children in the audience when the short began.

A+

• Like 2

I quite loved it. Such a majestic movie with tense/heartfelt emotion, and a great musical score by Patrick Doyle. The sets, costume, acting, and makeup was sensational. Lily James, Cate Blanchett, and Richard Madden were all highlights. HBC had a minimal roll!

Edited by FrozenBuff

Easily surpasses both Alice in Wonderland and Maleficent to become the best of Disney's recent line of live-action interpretations of their animated classics, and surpasses Ever After for the title of the definitive live-action version of the Cinderella story. Sure, it brings nothing new to the story that wasn't already covered in the animated classic and every other version, but Kenneth Branagh has unearthed the still immense appeal of this story to give it a fresh new spin. The cast is also wonderful across the board: Lily James makes for an highly appealing Cinderella, Richard Madden is better here than he ever was on Game of Thrones, and Cate Blanchett delivers us a wicked stepmother audiences will love to hate without going over the top. The production values, especially the costumes (which must get at least an Oscar nomination), are sensational, as one could expect. A terrific update that deserves to be treasured along with the animated classic, not to live in its shadow. A-

• Like 2

Let me just start by saying, I am in no way the target demographic for this film unless a 25 year old male is who they were aiming this at. Having said that, this is one of the best movies I've seen in a long time. The team that put this together showed us that you don't have to have a particularly deep plot to tell a profound story. Sometimes the simple stories are the most difficult to pull off, but the immensely rewarding when they do.

Everything worked here. The acting, directing, costumes, effects, music. Everything. It was the perfect Fairy Tale. Light years ahead of the animated version. I don't think this story could have been told much better. Kenneth Branagh is a genius.

Anyway, it's an A+ for me.

• Like 2

Let me just start by saying, I am in no way the target demographic for this film unless a 25 year old male is who they were aiming this at. Having said that, this is one of the best movies I've seen in a long time. The team that put this together showed us that you don't have to have a particularly deep plot to tell a profound story. Sometimes the simple stories are the most difficult to pull off, but the immensely rewarding when they do.

Everything worked here. The acting, directing, costumes, effects, music. Everything. It was the perfect Fairy Tale. Light years ahead of the animated version. I don't think this story could have been told much better. Kenneth Branagh is a genius.

Anyway, it's an A+ for me.

Absolutely, I agree with this 100%. I am in no ways the target demographic for this movie like you, and 4 days later after my showing, I'm still in awe of how wonderful the movie was. The movie, scene by scene, I was just blown away. Felt like I was in a completely time and place. I don't mind a movie being predictable if it well made and the story and everything is done right. I give a lot of credit to Kenneth Brannagh. Great, great job. What I really love about this movie is how beautiful and colorful it is.

Can't quite get it to A+, but it does get a solid A.

• Like 2