Neo

Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves | March 31, 2023 | Paramount | Amazon Prime advance screenings March 19 @ 2 PM

On 3/7/2023 at 6:59 AM, RobrtmanAStarWarsReference said:

no one cares about these outside of cRPG diehards nowadays

I am pessimistic about the movies  chances but, boy are you wrong about the popularity of D and D .

On 3/4/2023 at 8:35 PM, Pinacolada said:

When they are budgeting these things, do they not stop to think about the potential that these brands have? Like to me its pretty obvious that DnD is still generally seen as a "nerd" thing. There aren't any popular books, or games, or anime that has made it breakout over the popular culture other than its passionate, but still not huge fan/player base.

Just on paper, a DnD movie probably only goes over $100m domestically by just a little bit. And that's not factoring in the fact that the movie has to be good (which I actually think it will be). But then also add on the fact that it's sandwiched in-between John wick4 (which will without a doubt be bigger domestically) and Mario (which could Damm well be a worldwide juggernaut). There's a solid chance DnD won't even be the #1 film in the US the week it releases.

I think best case, it opens around $30m (could go under), and it would need that at least to get to just $100m domestically. I really don't see it opening to like $40m+

So again, what are they thinking

You are not looking in the right places then. Stranger Things and the easiness of playing or running 5e compared to earlier versions has led to a boom period for the franchise!  ( hasbro nearly forced that to end but they seemed to have backed off.)  and then we get to critical role... A beast so massive they have a 1st look deal at amazon for tv, films and video games

• Like 1

“There is that stigma that you have to get over that this isn’t just for the nerds,” Daley says. “There’s something bigger and more cinematic.” They briefly entertained the idea that the film could be about people playing the game, but quickly ruled it out, especially after the release of 2019’s “Jumanji: The Next Level,” in which regular people become embodied as avatars within a video game.

“The moment ‘Jumanji’ came out, we said, ‘No, we can’t do this again,'” Daley says. “Also, it does a little bit of a disservice. It reduces D&D to just a game and I think that there is so much that can be explored within that world. And it’s hard, stakes-wise, to care about a character that you know as an audience is being played by someone who’s safely in their home.”

Instead, the directors let the action of the story be informed by the open-ended nature of how players approach the game, in which a party of fantasy archetypes try to figure their way through an elaborate campaign.

As someone whose only DnD experience is occasionally reading those giant rule guides on a lazy weekend and listening to The Adventure Zone, I'm willing to give it a try.

https://variety.com/2023/film/news/dungeons-and-dragons-directors-sxsw-the-flash-1235548380/#recipient_hashed=ec91b969b65d1e1745d3ef92ae48fb9ae6e7786603732f927ee0a9c0e8b204e4&recipient_salt=0cf33522f912c84da366a7402b8d7f5962ad423e429fab7d5c22cc1fb292afa3

I´m not entirely surprised because test screenings for this went very well just like for Evil Dead Rise [and both ended up premiering on SXSW], but seems like it will get decent reviews 

Hopefully it can open to at least 30M and then maybe crawl into 100M with good WOM

• Like 1

Based on reactions this seems to be exactly the kind of movie I was expecting. This almost seems like it would be better suited as a summer popcorn flick? I hope the competition in march doesn't completely cut out the legs for this, it would be nice to see multiple movies make money at the box office and carve out a market for themselves.

I always take first reactions with a grain of salt but I guess you'd rather see reactions like this as opposed to more tepid/indifferent reactions.

I'm surprised that there seem to be a lot of people mentioning and praising the amount of practical effects? Not something I was expecting. This is making me more excited to see it on the 19th!