Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

45 members have voted

1. 1. Rate Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

I gave it an A. I really hadn't a clue what Harry Potter was, so decided to pick it up on DVD for my little cousins who seemed to be in it, and I just thought the story, the kids, the atmosphere, all was done wonderful. It truly was a magical movie that jump started it all.

This just might be the most magical film I've ever seen. This is immeasurably better than its sequel despite their familiar direction, and that's mostly because the story here is much more compelling. I'd rank it number four or five in the series, but this was the film that had the largest effect on me as a kid. This film started my love story with Potter.

The kids are insanely enjoyable despite their occasional hiccups, the music is enchanting, and has some of the most witty lines in the entire series. "Now, if you two don't mind, I'm going to bed before either of you come up with another clever idea to get us killed - or worse, expelled."

The Mirror of Erised scene actually moves me to tears. Colombus absolutely nailed that scene and John William's music is so beautifully sad.

A

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xwTRuflLuo

Edited by Noctis
  • Like 2

It was the perfect way to start off the franchise. It was a huge event for my teenage self and my family to see Potter on the big screen for the first time and the film captures the initial optimism and sense of wonder of the first book magnificently.

A

Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 1

The last time I went back and watched all the Harry Potter movies was just before DH2, so I've decided to do it again and see how it pays off now that I've seen the whole series. I originally thought this was the worst HP movie out of all of them, and then I saw GOF again. I will see how this measures up upon a repeat viewing again, and even thought there are A LOT of problems with this one, I doubt it will be the lowest grade I give a Potter movie. The reason for that is, there's just something about it that feels so fresh and groundbreaking about the first one. Some of the special effects seem incredibly dated, but some also look much, much better than other blockbusters from the early 2000s. Gosh, there's so many classic scenes I remember referencing a billion times since I was 5, but the best ones would have to be the scenes between Ron and Hermione. "You've got dirt on your nose", "It's Levi-O-sa not lev-i-o-sa", "She needs to sort out her priorities", "I think we're a bad influence on her", Hilarious!The score is so brilliant, and watching it again is incredibly nostalgic. I'm bumping this from a B- to a B+

• Like 3

Just re-watched 1-7 this week, gonna get to 8 tonight or tomorrow.

This maybe the perfect family adv entire movie. The start to the best produced series of all time??

It will live on to be a classic. A

My faith in you was just restored :P

• Like 1