Neo

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny | June 30 2023 | Very mixed reviews out of Cannes

9 hours ago, Bob Train said:

Most people don't care about whatever Disney/Desantis conflict exists. Hatred towards Disney is, by and large, by terminally online conservatives and doesn't extend to real people. Also not sure if people associate Lucasfilm with Disney, because they sure as hell don't associate Fox or Marvel with Disney.

Millions of people fall into the category of chronically online conservatives though? It’s not an insignificant audience at all. Minimizing that serves no one. 

I'm worried they turn Fleabag into Rey Skywalker, while Indy is brought back as mentor type just to get killed off.

Wouldn't surprise me if Ford only came back because he wanted Indy to die. He wanted Han to die for decades, and finally got his wish with TFA.

Edited by Mojoguy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mojoguy said:

I'm worried they turn Fleabag into Rey Skywalker, while Indy is brought back as mentor type just to get killed off.

Wouldn't surprise me if Ford only came back because he wanted Indy to die. He wanted Han to die for decades, and finally got his wish with TFA.

Harrison Ford loves Indiana Jones. He had been wanting to do another film for a while. 

2 hours ago, Mojoguy said:

The spoilers I am hearing makes me think Indy getting killed off might not be that bad of an idea. It might be less humiliating than what I am hearing. Let's wish those spoilers are nonsense.

Edited by scytheavatar
  • Haha 1
  • Astonished 1

4 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

Harrison Ford loves Indiana Jones. He had been wanting to do another film for a while. 

Important to note that Ford is blatantly a giant hypocrite, he talks about how much he love the Indiana Jones role yet he phoned in a super lazy, heck care performance for Crystal Skull. Meanwhile he constantly shits on the Han Solo role yet he gave a great performance for TFA.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Bob Train said:

Most people don't care about whatever Disney/Desantis conflict exists. Hatred towards Disney is, by and large, by terminally online conservatives and doesn't extend to real people. Also not sure if people associate Lucasfilm with Disney, because they sure as hell don't associate Fox or Marvel with Disney.

I've been trying to look for actual data on this stuff and it really does seem to be real.  As I've flagged elsewhere, Disney's seen a massive plunge in the Harris-Axios "Corporate reputation poll from the top of the list of ~75th place. That's being powered by declines in stuff like "character" and "citizenship" and "ethics" which sound a whole lot more like cultural-political backlash than something like anti-live action reboot #22. It really seems that if you just write down people's opinion of Disney pre/post pandemic you see significant declines for the company. 

Otherwise, yeah, I agree. "Disney" as a brand seems pretty strongly defined by pre-Iger Tentpoles and theme parks. Even if people know Indiana Jones or Iron Man are owned by Disney it doesn't seem to translate in same way. 

https://www.axios.com/2023/05/23/corporate-brands-reputation-america

58 minutes ago, ThePhasmid said:

I'm not saying this is going to be a good Indy film, but I think some of us are underestimating how much people want to see this type of film again. In my eyes, this is critic proof. We shall see, though.

I think some of us are overestimating how much people want to see this type of film again. Indiana Jones wannabes are super cliche and common, we know with the the box office of Uncharted that there's a sizeable audience for these types of movies. I am just not convinced you can get way more in box office than Uncharted just by slapping Harrison Ford in.

Will the old people crowd really show up for this one? They showed up to Top Gun because it was actually good. And based off the trailer and marketing it doesn't exactly seem like Disney is targeting them (with lines like "it's called capitalism" and sidelining Indy in favor of PWB). Top Gun 2 did it much better, but legacy sequels don't always succeed.

Edited by Bob Train
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, ThePhasmid said:

I'm not saying this is going to be a good Indy film, but I think some of us are underestimating how much people want to see this type of film again. In my eyes, this is critic proof. We shall see, though.

I think a lot of people here just have it in for this film for some reason.

• Like 2

On 5/31/2023 at 7:29 PM, Bob Train said:

Will the old people crowd really show up for this one? They showed up to Top Gun because it was actually good. And based off the trailer and marketing it doesn't exactly seem like Disney is targeting them (with lines like "it's called capitalism" and sidelining Indy in favor of PWB). Top Gun 2 did it much better, but legacy sequels don't always succeed.

honestly my dad is exactly the kind of old man who'd be up for this, loves Indiana Jones, loved Top Gun 2 but even him when i tell him about this movie his reaction is "but he's so old???"

• Like 2

On 5/31/2023 at 9:33 AM, ThePhasmid said:

How is this critic proof? We've never gotten and Indy film with poor reviews before? Even KOTCS had roughly 80% RT. Nothing in the franchise has ever indicated that it's in the vein of F&F or Jurassic World.

• Thanks 1