Neo

Star Trek Beyond | 7.22.2016 | Not an Oscar winner.

4 hours ago, The Gotham Bank said:

Am I the only one who enjoyed Into Darkness more than ST09? :sadben:

I really enjoyed it as well, but then again I've never much cared for Star Trek in general. I'd just catch random episodes of it on the TV as a teen but I wouldn't even know which of its shows I was watching.

What I remember the most is that I liked that Data guy and that Borgs were a scary and fun concept.

19 hours ago, 4815162342 said:

The new Star Trek show is rumored to be set in the original continuity and take place between Star Trek 6 and TNG

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/04/13/new-star-trek-tv-series-rumored-to-be-set-before-the-next-generation?abthid=570ec20bc74142e86f000003

Super pumped about this!!

Final Star Trek Beyond trailer to debut at 50th anniversary fan event
http://www.ew.com/article/2016/04/14/star-trek-beyond-final-trailer-fan-event

Mark your calendars — the final trailer for Star Trek Beyond will debut May 20. 

Justin Lin, who took over director duties from J.J. Abrams for the third movie in the franchise, announced Thursday that the newest glimpse of never-before-seen footage from the July 22 release will be part of a one-time-only fan event celebrating the 50th anniversary of the series created by Gene Roddenberry. Taking place at the historic Paramount Pictures studio lot in Hollywood, California, the cast and crew will join Lin for a Q&A where there are promises of special guest appearances and other surprises. Fans who can’t join in person will be able to watch all the action via https://www.facebook.com/StarTrekMovie Live.

Edited by Black Hawk

On 14/04/2016 at 5:50 AM, The Gotham Bank said:
Am I the only one who enjoyed Into Darkness more than ST09? :sadben:

No, you're not.

I love ST09, but I think it peaks with the first 10 minutes, getting (very very slowly) more and more uninteresting as it goes.

STiD is waaaay more consistent and has a bigger emotional punch. Love the small scale (relatively speaking) and the climax not revolving around a big, explosive set piece. But its biggest plus definitely is the focus on characters, which is this series biggest asset.

STiD is just slightly ahead of ST09, though. 

Both are really close to the best of what blockbuster filmmaking has to offer.

As you can see, I fangirl hard for them.

Edited by Goffe
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Black Hawk said:

I don't mean to start an off-topic conversation here, but...I still can't get over casting a great presence like Idris Elba and covering him up under all of this goofy make-up...which bares a strange resemblance to 90s-era Next Gen make-up (I loved the show, but this definitely feels more Insurrection than TOS).

Combined with a recent assessment of Lupita Nyong'o's lack of establishment in live-action features over the past couple of years...her appearances since 12 Years consist solely of motion-capture performances...I can't help but wonder if an unconscious or possibly even conscious fear or bias against "dark" black actors exists in Hollywood.  This is a longtime historical thing, of course...particularly with African-American actresses.

I just would have loved to see IDRIS face off against Kirk, face-to-face.  I suppose we can always hope for an unlikely, subversive  Scooby Doo mask reveal...?  Unlikely.  His lack of real "face time" will definitely not help audience interest in this film.

Edited by Macleod

I forgot this movie is coming out this year... As a matter of fact, I don't remember seeing this movie being mentioned on FB and Twitter in my social circle. Paramount has some serious marketing to do