Neo

Star Trek Beyond | 7.22.2016 | Not an Oscar winner.

3 hours ago, Mojoguy said:

I always thought it was very stupid how Kirk and Spock, the captain and first officer always went down to dangerous planets.

Thats because Kirk didn't give a crap about Starfleet regulations lol. He didn't do everything by the book. 

13 hours ago, Blanks McCoy said:

I mean, it's sorta disposable, but when it's this good of a cast, I'm okay with one more focused on characters getting moments to shine than overall "epicness"

Although Elba kinda pissed me off because why bother hiring him if you're gonna cover him in makeup and modify his voice. Legitimately sounded like Immortan Joe at points lol

Exactly my argument... One could say "Don't blame it on Elba"...but he signed up for the damn thing.

(No, I haven't seen this, yet)

• Like 2

I thought that Elba got totally lost under the mask. 

It's a special skill acting through all that latex.  And if you watch enough Trek, you will find plenty of actors who aren't able to project a great performance through the makeup (as opposed to those who can, like Armin Shimerman and Marc Alaimo).  Surprising that Elba wasn't able to do it, though, considering how great an actor he is.  You really have to go big, and maybe he's just too nuanced an actor.

Just saw a teaser for the new TV show and um... if their intention was to lower my hype they succeeded. Look for yourself...

I understand they threw something together quickly for SDCC but even still. I'm not one to bitch about CGI but this looks so bad it's embarassing. Would have been better to show nothing. And that ship design is ugly as hell. Looks like a cross between a Klingon and Federation ship. Hmm... maybe it is...

• Like 1

I just saw it!!

I'm not a proper Trekkie, I like these movies starting with 09, and didn't particularly watch much of the prior stuff. 

Having said that, I left this movie very happy with it.  I loved the action scenes (and there were a lot) and most of the interpersonal dynamic.  There were a few things I rolled my eyes at, and a joke that went on too long (not major nor long enough to be a big deal), but this was fun.  I put it above SID but below 09 which I really really liked.  This has a lot of the fun feel of 09, but it isn't as precisely put together, and the overall characterization wasn't as complex and engaging as 09, but was better, to my mind, than SID. 

I saw it in 2D because that was the time that worked for our schedules, but I could see where watching this in 3D could be really worth it, and I don't like 3D except for certain types of films.  I will probably see this again, though, and when I do, it will be in 3D.

2 hours ago, Elessar said:

Just saw a teaser for the new TV show and um... if their intention was to lower my hype they succeeded. Look for yourself...

I understand they threw something together quickly for SDCC but even still. I'm not one to bitch about CGI but this looks so bad it's embarassing. Would have been better to show nothing. And that ship design is ugly as hell. Looks like a cross between a Klingon and Federation ship. Hmm... maybe it is...

I should NOT have watched that coming directly from the movie.  That CGI was terrible in comparison.  Or just terrible.

Is that a different name than Enterprise on the ship as well?  Is it going to be a different crew?  Yech.

Edited by trifle
  • Like 1

On July 23, 2016 at 4:44 PM, Elessar said:

My company is going to be doing the promos for the new show.

Edited by Jay Hollywood
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Elessar said:

Eh, why does it look like a computer game?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

Eh, why does it look like a computer game?

That's even bad CGI for a computer game, imho, and I pretty much just watch computer games over other people's shoulders.

I am watching 09 now, on demand, because I don't want to fish through my dvds to find it, I want to watch it NOW.

I enjoyed the movie. I have about 2 questions from the plot but otherwise it's a very straight forward enough film. Pacing is well done.

Grade: B+

As for that USS Discovery TV promo, it was just a first look. No doubt they'll work on it after some feedback. 

Gonna start doing extended projections just like @WrathOfHan does:

Weekend 2: 30.7M (-48.5%) cum: 117.9M

Weekend 3: 14.1M (-54.2%) cum: 147.7M

Weekend 4: 8.9M (-36.9%) cum 164.1M

Weekend 5: 5.6M (-37.4%) cum 174.0M

Weekend 6: 3.6M (-35.4%) cum 180.1M

Weekend 7 (3-Day): 3.3M (-7.5%)

Weekend 7 (4-Day): 4.5M (+125%) cum 185.9M

DOM: 197.857M (3.319x)

WW: 454.381 (56.5% foreign share)

• Like 1

Will this have much better midweekdays than previous two Treks? Probably not. Even though it's July, due to it skewing older it's not profiting much from younger people having schools off. I mean, STD dropped 63 % on its first monday, STB probably will drop close to 60%, too. Or at best maybe 55%.

On July 23, 2016 at 6:44 PM, Elessar said:

Yea, that was rough looking lol

They should have waited until they worked on the CGI some more before releasing that. 

And the ship looks like crap. I know it's based on some McQuarrie concept art but there's probably a good reason it was never used lol

• Like 2

I'm very happy with the OW number. After all that's been said about the marketing, $59 is barely below from the $62M of Into Darkness and it's in the very high end of the expectations. Plus, with all the great reviews it could be said Paramount has transitioned successfully from JJ Abrams as a director.