ChD

Live By Night | Christmas Day limited release, wide release on 01/13/17 | Ben Affleck/Warner Bros. New trailer on page 8

37 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Affleck will bounce back from Live from Night, every director has a dud once in a while. It'll be interesting how it is received by the general audience since The Accountant which had mixed reviews did decently 

I think it's a given that Patriots Day will emerge the winner when they open wide head to head on January 13.

• Like 1

Yup, if anything, it'll bolster him up even more to make a great Batman film. The latest reviews for Live By Night have been more positive though, seems there's plenty to love there, but it suffers from the short running time. I hope we'll get an extended cut on BD/UHD BD like The Town & Argo had.

Live By Night should make some dough though, it being a Ben Affleck film, and there's a crowd for gangster films, the budget being "only" 65 million helps too. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jonwo said:

Affleck will bounce back from Live from Night, every director has a dud once in a while. It'll be interesting how it is received by the general audience since The Accountant which had mixed reviews did decently 

I think it will do decently as well and I agree with you that one dud does not a bad director make, people just like to overreact.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, narniadis said:

We live in a boom and bust society any more and negative press sells more than it ever has. He will recover but it doesn't take long to go down the Shyamalan road. 

One dud doesn't define a career unless it's really bad, Zemeckis has had back to back flops and Spielberg hasn't had a big hit since Lincoln but both will be fine. 

35 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

I think it will do decently as well and I agree with you that one dud does not a bad director make, people just like to overreact.

Pretty much, it'll just provide some of the internet trolls with some ammo as to why The Batman film is bound to be a failure. Then again, it's not because it might end up rotten that the film will reflect that. 

And yes, as narniadis says, negativity sells, there's really a hard-on for cynicism and a focus on negativity online, it's been happening for a while, and it's frankly tiring. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, filmlover said:

I think it's a given that Patriots Day will emerge the winner when they open wide head to head on January 13.

The Boston Bombing didn't happen that long ago and they're already profiting off of it...

Boston Globe said something similar in their review

Spoiler

Peter Berg’s movie, starring Mark Wahlberg in an invented role, is neither great nor gawdawful. It’s professionally made, slickly heartfelt, and is offered up as an act of civic healing. At best, it’s unnecessary. At worst, it’s vaguely insulting.

I repeat: Everyone involved with this movie believes they’re acting with respect, even when they’re not. That includes director Berg, who pans with tasteless irony across the legs of Jessica Kensky (Rachel Brosnahan) and Patrick Downes (Christopher O’Shea) as they make love on the morning of the Marathon. It includes the five-man writing team (Berg included) that stages the interrogation of Tamerlan’s widow (Melissa Benoist of TV’s “Supergirl”) by an FBI agent (Khandi Alexander, “CSI: Miami”) as a sub-“Homeland” test of wills.

Some of the story lines feel less compromised but still cooked for our acceptance. The doomed arc of MIT officer Sean Collier (Jake Picking) is made sadder because of his ongoing flirtation with a pretty student (Lana Condor). The Tsarnaev brothers’ hijacking of a car owned by Dun Meng (Jimmy O. Yang) is pure you-are-there tension and the least forced of the many tangents. J.K. Simmons has so much fun inhabiting his role as Watertown police Sergeant Jeffrey Pugliese that matters of fidelity briefly become secondary. The many actors, local and imported, who play the citizens and police officers of Greater Boston perform with spirit.

Look, this is human nature, the retelling of catastrophe in an effort to sift the rubble for meaning. It’s how the sinking of the Titanic becomes a love story for teenage girls, why there are nearly 50 films dealing one way or another with the 9/11 attacks. Audiences know when they’re being played, too — when filmmakers overshape the material and amp up the drama as if what’s there isn’t good enough. Michael Bay’s “Pearl Harbor” is seen as a traducing of real events. Last year’s “Spotlight,” by contrast, parlayed a style of muted realism — a concerted effort to avoid melodrama — into an Academy Award.

It says something that the only moment during the “Patriots Day” screening that I felt myself tearing up over — a response confirmed by others I’ve spoken with — was the real-life footage of bombing survivors and first responders at the end. It’s also worth noting that the current HBO documentary “Marathon: The Patriots Day Bombing” (produced in association with the Globe, but don’t let that stop you) puts a viewer right back in the thick of April 15, 2013, and in the panicky days and long, hard weeks of recovery that followed, with an immediacy and an empathy that make “Patriots Day” seem a sham.

The only meaning you need is right there in the faces of the victims, their families, the people who saved them, and you and I in the crowd. No movie stars necessary.

PATRIOTS DAY

• Like 1

Trying to stay optimistic, I think Live By Night getting trashed is not that bad for the upcoming Batman movie. Sometimes, Ben is too much full of himself. The failure of Live by Night will help humble him and let him know his artistic limits and have a better and realistic vision for the Batman movie. Take a step back ,reign in your ego, climb a stair, and you will see further. I have to believe Live by Night's failure has a meaning of contributing to the greater picture. I have to. Or else, DCEU will be so void of hope and MCU/Star Wars will dominate forever. 

What the hell is this? Ben Affleck is really humble if you've seen serious, long interviews (like the DP/30 ones) of him talking about his films. And lol about Live By Night's "failure", dude, there are barely 20 reviews or something in the fold so far, chill out. Plus, he also likes to use self-deprecating humor sometimes and he just likes to have a laugh or two.

WeneedtotalkaboutKevin, I don't know who the f you are or what planet you're from but you've got some weird agenda going on in every post I see you write, bizarre to say the least. I don't see how saying he's making sure he has the goods before making a mediocre Batman film with a subpar script makes him anything less than humble & a guy who's really passionate about his craft. 

32 minutes ago, TimmyRiggins said:

What the hell is this? Ben Affleck is really humble if you've seen serious, long interviews (like the DP/30 ones) of him talking about his films. And lol about Live By Night's "failure", dude, there are barely 20 reviews or something in the fold so far, chill out. Plus, he also likes to use self-deprecating humor sometimes and he just likes to have a laugh or two.

WeneedtotalkaboutKevin, I don't know who the f you are or what planet you're from but you've got some weird agenda going on in every post I see you write, bizarre to say the least. I don't see how saying he's making sure he has the goods before making a mediocre Batman film with a subpar script makes him anything less than humble & a guy who's really passionate about his craft. 

Ben Affleck has always been somewhat of a polarizing figure throughout his career, whether it was because of his dubious movie choices (in his younger years when Hollywood tried to make in the next big thing, at least) or his many relationships with famous actresses that made him a tabloid magnet.

Well, I'm fully aware of that, but some people have a seriously warped perception of him for some reason. He joked around in an interview a couple of days ago about the whole fuss made on his comments on the Batman film like "well yeah, of course you want a good script before making any movie" :D

6 hours ago, TimmyRiggins said:

I have no agenda other to see the films in their best possible form. Especially the batman movie. The character really means a lot to me. Live by night being trashed by critics is an objective fact and Ben having his ego problem is my subjective supposition which you don't need to agree on. I just want to make something positive out of the situation and move on and look to the future from a brighter side. I don't know what's wrong with that. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Apparently the movie was beautifully shot. The problem is the story/script. 

Let's hope that doesn't become a complaint for Batman as well... Not sure how much it matters how good of a director someone is if the story they are directing is crap.

Its limited release numbers were less than half as much as Extremely Loud and Close and we know how that did. Not saying it will go that low.

Due to the solid marketing though, it can pull a Lovely Bones (where it flopped completely but did modest numbers) and still crack $20M in its 4-day weekend when it comes out on MLK weekend. However, it will need a lot of good OS numbers to cover its big budget. 

Edited by BenedictL11