LexJoker

Thursday #s (1/2) | FRZ 5.2, DOS 4, WOWS 2.7, AM2 2.6,AH 2.5(Rth)

So some dude registers here just to insult the members of this site? Enjoy your shortass stay here.

Whatever man. All I'm saying is, it's a very open category and she's currently runner-up to a very shaky frontrunner. My own opinion about her performance or the movie or whatever is completely irrelevant here. Critics reviews are the ones that matter and those are stellar, plus she already won a big award. She's very much in the race, not only for a nomination but for the win.

Whatever man. All I'm saying is, it's a very open category and she's currently runner-up to a very shaky frontrunner. My own opinion about her performance or the movie or whatever is completely irrelevant here. Critics reviews are the ones that matter and those are stellar, plus she already won a big award. She's very much in the race, not only for a nomination but for the win.

That's fine.  You don't have to be confrontational.  You have three posts here.  Try integrating yourself here instead of screaming, "I want to be a pariah".  

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/paul-walkers-fast-furious-character-668241

Universal to 'Retire' Paul Walker's 'Fast & Furious' Character

Sources tell THR that Walker's character, Brian O'Conner, will not be killed off in the film, now set for release April 10, 2015.

Instead, the plan is to "retire" the character in a way that the studio hopes will satisfy fans of the franchise and make use of the existing footage of Walker, who died about halfway through theFast 7 shoot.

• Like 9

After the Academy gave Waltz his second, I definitely wouldn't underestimate Law sneaking in another win. She's the industry's "it" girl right now; that means something.

She won last year, so I really don't see her winning this year. But I never expected Waltz to win last year so...

• Like 1

Really glad that they're trying to find a way to retire O'Connor that doesn't involve killing them off. That would have been kind of tasteless IMO. I wish the writer the best of luck, definitely isn't going to be an easy job.

• Like 5

She won last year, so I really don't see her winning this year. But I never expected Waltz to win last year so...

Still can't believe Waltz won that. He's good in the film, but he's not best in show and his performance in Basterds was better and more original. And to win over a legend like Tommy Lee Jones? Crazy. 

• Like 1

Really glad that they're trying to find a way to retire O'Connor that doesn't involve killing them off. That would have been kind of tasteless IMO. I wish the writer the best of luck, definitely isn't going to be an easy job.

It'll be a thankless job as no doubt he'll be criticized no matter what. 

It's a Catch-22 for certain. 

Universal also wants to be able to make more Fast films after this one so the core of the "team" needs to feel secure. Having Brian "retire" means they can lead happy lives in spite of all the risk afterall. Brian dies, they all quit and go about separate lives. 

Edited by Captain Craig

Still can't believe Waltz won that. He's good in the film, but he's not best in show and his performance in Basterds was better and more original. And to win over a legend like Tommy Lee Jones? Crazy. 

Tommy Lee Jones weren't all that. Phil Hoffman shoulda won.

• Like 1

I apologize to everyone for my wild entry here. I found the statement I initially replied to so outrageous that my emotions got the best of me. Won't happen again.

Bottom line is: When it comes to predicting awards, never ever let your own opinion cloud your judegment. People here seem to be rather cold on American Hustle in general which led to the movie itself and everyone in it being severely underestimated, and that's a mistake. Just look at the facts. NYFCC is huge. It's one of the two biggest awards you can win in December and unless you win for some obscure movie or are completely unknown, it automatically catapults you into the Oscar race. Hustle won Picture, Supporting Actress and Screenplay there and it is considered the favorite to win the Comedy Globe (probably along with at least one other win in Screenplay or acting).

Hustle and Lawrence got amazing reviews. Critics love the film and the vast majority of them considers Lawrence to be the standout, and while critics love doesn't always translate to Oscar love, AH seems to be a very Oscar friendly film. Especially the acting branch of the Academy will eat this up. If 12 Years a Slave stumbles, this is the most likely alternative. 

So if you combine the reviews, the NYFCC win, her being in what is likely a Top 3 contender for Best Picture and her biggest competition being rather unknown, you may see that the possibility of Two-time Academy Award Winner Jennifer Lawrence isn't far-fetched at all.

Edited by Amon

I apologize to everyone for my wild entry here. I found the statement I initially replied to so outrageous that my emotions got the best of me. Won't happen again.

Bottom line is: When it comes to predicting awards, never ever let your own opinion cloud your judegment. People here seem to be rather cold on American Hustle in general which led to the movie itself and everyone in it being severely underestimated, and that's a mistake. Just look at the facts. NYFCC is huge. It's one of the two biggest awards you can win in December and unless you win for some obscure movie or are completely unknown, it automatically catapults you into the Oscar race. Hustle won Picture, Supporting Actress and Screenplay there and it is considered the favorite to win the Comedy Globe (probably along with at least one other win in Screenplay or acting).

Hustle and Lawrence got amazing reviews. Critics love the film and the vast majority of them considers Lawrence to be the standout, and while critics love doesn't always translate to Oscar love, AH seems to be a very Oscar friendly film. Especially the acting branch of the Academy will eat this up. If 12 Years a Slave stumbles, this is the most likely alternative. 

So if you combine the reviews, the NYFCC win, her being in what is likely a Top 3 contender for Best Picture and her biggest competition being a complete unknown, you may see that the possibility of Two-time Academy Award Winner Jennifer Lawrence isn't far-fetched at all.

You have to do whatever we want for one full week.  That is your punishment newbie (you won't be a noob after 10 posts).   ;)

Welcome to the forums!

• Like 1

Production Budgets:

"at least $175m" 47 RONIN
$100m WOLF OF WALL STREET
$91m WALTER MITTY
$40m GRUDGE MATCH

[*]Not sure I saw $100m on the screen for Wolf but then again there was shooting involved overseas and some CG.  *shrug*

[*]47Ronin...Wow.  Why would the studios think this would make half its budget?  Are they banking(see what I did there?) on Asia markets coming through and taking a L on the domestic side?