grey ghost

Ghost in the Shell | March 31, 2017 | Scarlett Johansson | Paramount | New Trailer on page 43!!!

I wonder if they'll relocate everything to america and have all Hollywood actors in supporting roles or whether they'll fill it with the 'go to' Asian actors to try and give it some kind of credibility. The names that spring to mind would be Lee Byung-hun, Li Bing Bing and/or Sung Kang. Of course none of them are Japanese though...

Matrix was R. It could work for GITS too. (And by that I mean work at the box office

Matrix was R in 1999.

GITS frankly could easily be PG13. There's barely any bad language and it's not over the top in terms of Action. Unless they go with all the nudity, I don't see any reason why this couldn't be PG13.

• Like 1

Uh, Disney means PG-13.

No interest now.

This is DreamWorks/Touchstone, not Disney. It could still conceivably be R (but knowing Hollywood, they'll probably still go PG-13 to cast that wide net).

Also, I'm remembering that The Fifth Element somehow got away with showing naked Milla Jovovich's sideboob with nipple and still got a PG-13. Even back in 1997, that was still unusual.

Also, due to safety reasons, there is no way they would film Scarlett, or her stunt double, actually fighting nude with no protection whatsoever. They'd probably have to be in some skintight outfit, with the nudity CGI'ed in later...

I know nothing about GITS, so correct me if I messed anything up.

Edited by TServo2049

So which one is better, Ghost or Akira?

Akira, at least for the manga. GItS is fun, but Shirow's earlier work (Appleseed, the Dominion series) is better.

For the anime, still probably Akira, if you're just comparing films. GitS was good, but Akira is one of the most visually interesting animated films ever. (And if you get the newer version that isn't the Streamline translation, it actually makes sense.)

The newer GitS TV series (Stand Alone Complex and Arise) are pretty keen, though. I like them better than Akira.

• Like 1

WTF??

Why should we be watching a cartoon - especially now when it's being updated to a normal, expensive movie??

You never seen it have you?  Its like asking why watch the Disney cartoon Cinderella when we got a live expensive version.

That's a perfectly normal and valid question!!

I would NEVER watch the cartoon Cinderella. It will be even more stupid than the live one, and much uglier, of course.

GitS1&2 I have seen though - and I like them pretty much visually. Although the story is nothing to write home about, the ideas and concepts are pretty cool. I am actually a BIG fan of Anime movies - but only a rare few cinematic ones, my favourite being Ninja Scroll. I would never watch series, hate TV.

That being sad, I am quite glad they are finally making a big movie adaptation of one of the good animes. This could make for a great movie, if done right - though horribly Americanized beyond doubt.