Olive

Guardians of the Galaxy OS Thread($768M WW Total )

Yes it is, it is the territory where the studios get the biggest part of the gross.

How do you know that? The percent made from China is well known, but I have never heard what the percent is elsewhere, I don't know if Europe, Japan etc. is much different from domestic in that regard.

Edited by Tower

How do you know that? The percent made from China is well known, but I have never heard what the percent is elsewhere, I don't know if Europe, Japan etc. is much different from domestic in that regard.

A few years back in Germany 53.5% for the distributer. Some complains about distributers trying to get more...

• Like 1

And? That doesn't matter when most blockbusters are making 2x to 4x as much internationally. The discrepancy in percentages is obliterated.

Yeah many blockbusters behave like that when they are sequels or/and carried by an international star whoo can draw masses overseas on his/her name alone. 

When they are not,  it's usually the rule, not the exception to behave the otherway around or having a more divided ratio. First Twilght, The Hangover,1, Transformer1, Hunger Games, all fall into those statistics.  Only HP1 didn't as it is more of an overseas/UK property.

When it's a new property there is usually a 50/50 or 40/60 or 60/40 ratio domestic versus foreign, including in CBMs with new characters less known ovrseas than at home.  Every single new property in Marvel phase 1 had that type of ratio.  

Even the Xmen didn't have the typical sequel ratio before their 7th movie and the SpiderMen franchise had an excessive domestic take to have that X2 overseas at a time when there were no asian expanding markets. Same with BB and Stark Treck that had both a ratio 60/40 domestic versus foreign.

Edited by Ent

I hope not.. Despite all the praising in this room, this film does not deserve to beat Cap2 WW or domesitc.

Great movie , but its not a Cap2.. I think it should pass 640M WW. TIme will tell

Sorry but it was better than Cap2, this one should do 1B, only that isn't posible

Hmm, looks good but hard to really tell how it's holding with Wed & Thur openers.  Did it have any other big territories it opened this week in aside from France and Spain?  When is this opening in Germany?

28 August

• Like 1

according to IMDb - page 1 here is a bit out of date...

France 13 August 2014  
Kuwait 13 August 2014  
United Arab Emirates 14 August 2014  
Spain 14 August 2014  
Hungary 14 August 2014  
Iraq 14 August 2014  
Lebanon 14 August 2014  
Netherlands 14 August 2014  
Luxembourg 18 August 2014 (Kirchberg & Belval, Luxembourg) (premiere)
Nepal 22 August 2014  
Austria 28 August 2014  
Germany 28 August 2014  
Greece 4 September 2014  
Cyprus 5 September 2014  
Japan 13 September 2014  
China 10 October 2014  
Switzerland 22 October 2014 (Italian speaking region)
Italy 22 October 2014  

• Like 2

Guardian‘s international cume is at $166.8M for a worldwide gross of $364.3M.

http://deadline.com/2014/08/box-office-expendables-late-nights-unimpressive-819983/

UPDATED, Saturday, 7:30 AM:

In second place will be, as expected, Disney/Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy which is still looking like a $23.75M three-day to bring its three-week cume up to $221.4M. It has now raked in over $500M worldwide.

$221.4M + $166.8M =  $388.2m

It did open up in some new markets, and will get some out of the already open markets too, but $112m+ since your post and/or ~ $140m+ since 10 August international derails, as stated at BOM?

• Like 1

Over 400m seems more plausible, I think it's a typo.

Yeah, i don't know how it would have reached $500M yet....$400M seems more likely.

Hence the reason I asked,... So it had a very high OD in France (#3 MCU movie there), but that has still to be under '19m (as in recognizable deeper) as #2 opened so

Spain,... isn't that a great MCU result delivering country, biggest was Avengers with an OW of something over $7m, the others were mostly nearly $3m to $5m something

=> it does well in some other countries 2nd and 3rd week, but....

Twice added?