Shawn Robbins

Saturday #s pg 19 ROAE 16.4,MRP 14.4,NS 7.1,LM 5.4

200k+ PTA isn't outstanding? Highest ever for a non-Disney film? Okay, whatever. Just keep talking about 300 2.

Yawn.

I've never had the urge to see any Wes Anderson film because I haven't liked what I've seen from him before....but Grand Budapest Hotel looks pretty fucking awesome, so there's that. My mom feels the same way, too. Anecdotal evidence, but we'll be seeing this. 

Moonrise Kingdom's opening PTA is 127k. This will open maybe 60% better. I don't know why this is 'standard'.

So do you think it will do 60% better than Moonrise?

Arguing that TGBP's opening isn't impressive because it still won't make much is like arguing that any Twilight film had a bad opening because it barely got to a 2x multiplier. There are many perspectives to look at this, and while there are negative ones, there's no need to ignore the positives.

Edited by Spaghetti
  • Like 4

I think it is time to put to rest all of the jaw dropping posts. when a limited release does big numbers. In my opinion there is really nothing jawdropping about Budapest number. In fact its pretty standard now for films with niche audiences to have giant PTAs on opening weekend. All it means is thathis fans rushed out to see it. Call me if a Wes Anderson film ever results in a gross of more than 70 mill.

THISTHISTHISA million times this. I don't know how many times we've seen this, then the film goes on to make less than $20m.
  • Like 2

Well, color me impressed. I really thought a sub 30M weekend would happen. Oh well. If it does crack 40M, it will be a big struggle to get past 100M. But at least its not the massive disappointment it could have been.

• Like 1

I think it is time to put to rest all of the jaw dropping posts. when a limited release does big numbers. In my opinion there is really nothing jawdropping about Budapest number. In fact its pretty standard now for films with niche audiences to have giant PTAs on opening weekend. All it means is thathis fans rushed out to see it. Call me if a Wes Anderson film ever results in a gross of more than 70 mill.

His films don't have to make $70 million domestically to be profitable hits. He's an artist, he doesn't care if his films reach blockbuster status.

His films don't have to make $70 million domestically to be profitable hits. He's an artist, he doesn't care if his films reach blockbuster status.

He's an artist?  lol.  Yea, I'm sure thats why they fund his films....for arts sake.  Hollywood is a business.

• Founder / Operator

Where's the fun in that Shawn? Who doesn't enjoy a Friday evening, cozying up to your laptop with a bottle or three and reading Nikki updates?

I mean mainly in terms of reporting them. I've dipped my toes in it now, but passing along someone else's unverified numbers that are going to be wildly inaccurate half the time isn't part of my wheelhouse. Never has been, though it's definitely part of my inner geeky box office enthusiast fun to occasionally base hypothetical projections on them.

Edited by ShawnMR

Remember when How to Train Your Dragon's $43 million was considered low for the spring DWA release? Now here we are saying how relatively normal Peabody's $30 million-ish will be.

The times they are a-changin'

• Like 3

I mean mainly in terms of reporting them. I've dipped my toes in it now, but passing along someone else's unverified numbers that are going to be wildly inaccurate half the time isn't part of my wheelhouse. Never has been, though it's definitely part of my inner geeky box office enthusiast fun to occasionally base hypothetical projections on them.

The inaccurate afternoon numbers have led to some hilarious meltdowns though. The longest one being the Catching Fire mid-afternoon numbers which ended up being almost 10-12M less than actuals.

• Like 1