Shawn Robbins

Saturday #s pg 19 ROAE 16.4,MRP 14.4,NS 7.1,LM 5.4

Wrath opened with 12.3M OD on his way to a 33M OW. If this follows Wrath it will end with 48M OW. Impossible, but 40M are well within reach.

Edited by CJohn
  • Like 1

That 300 number is pretty weak considering the Thurs. preview #, at least it's up from the earlier 12-14 estimate

Weak compared to what?  Most people had this opening to about 30 only a few weeks ago.

• Like 1

I'm guessing about $38-39m weekend then.More than I was expecting actually.

It'll do 43.  No way it misses 40 imo.  

I think with the help of the original doing well on home video was well as many copycats including the reviving of "Spartacus" as well as this moving from August really helped it.  I don't know what the legs will be but I think 300 part 2 is a success with those numbers.  

• Founder / Operator

And 300: Rise of an Empire, ladies and gentlemen, is proof positive of why early numbers aren't to be heavily trusted.

Fantastic opening day, all things considered.

• Like 2

The 300 sequel was never going to come close to the first one.  For me this is up there with Lone Survivor's wide release and The Lego Movie as a major 2014 box-office surprise.  The previews absolutely suck and we've been inundated with copycats over the last 7 yrs.  Plus, the original cast is largely absent from this one.  Yet, it will manage to make $40-50m OW and definitely finish north of $100m.  *applause*

• Like 1

So, about 14.41m sans previews. Earlier I was saying it needed at least 14m without the previews to make it to 40 so now it's in that range. Depending on how it holds I'd say 38-42 is the range now.

Your IM is too low IMO...kids are on spring break.  $41-46m

• Founder / Operator

The 300 sequel was never going to come close to the first one.  For me this is up there with Lone Survivor's wide release and The Lego Movie as a major 2014 box-office surprise.  The previews absolutely suck and we've been inundated with copycats over the last 7 yrs.  Plus, the original cast is largely absent from this one.  Yet, it will manage to make $40-50m OW and definitely finish north of $100m.  *applause*

Agreed. WB was extremely wise, in retrospect, to delay the film from last August.

• Like 4

Weak compared to what?  Most people had this opening to about 30 only a few weeks ago.

I thought it could do 20 after that preview number came in. And it went up again, was 17 flat when I posted that

Still a very good opening for it.