Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

$800 million in China by January 2018 (most probable release date in China) is very possible. Over $200 million in the UK is also not out of realm of possibility, although the low British pound will make it difficult. I can't see more than $200 million at most in Japan given the low yen, and that's if it's as well received as Titanic. Only one film (Frozen) in the last 15 years has broken $200 million in Japan. And only 3 films in Japan's history has ever broken that milestone- not even the first Avatar managed it. With current exchange rates, Avatar actually adjust to $133 million in Japan. Anything over that would be an achievement. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KP1025 said:

$800 million in China by January 2018 (most probable release date in China) is very possible. Over $200 million in the UK is also not out of realm of possibility, although the low British pound will make it difficult. I can't see more than $200 million at most in Japan given the low yen, and that's if it's as well received as Titanic. Only one film (Frozen) in the last 15 years has broken $200 million in Japan. And only 3 films in Japan's history has ever broken that milestone- not even the first Avatar managed it. With current exchange rates, Avatar actually adjust to $133 million in Japan. Anything over that would be an achievement. 

Kp your awesome guy, I had no clue hitting 200m in Japan is  so difficult at the moment.  Hopefully television is right and by 2017-2018 , the mighty Avatar II pushes the Japanese envelope yet again like Titanic before it. 

2 hours ago, Telemachos said:

I guess it depends on how you define "global cultural impact".

Well you call sws a cultural impact, correct?  Avatar is  sws on steroids.  Getting studios around the world to think of 3d as a tool to tell better stories and not just a flash in  the pan gimic.  The new benchmarks it represents in technology,  causing hundreds of millions of people to give more,  and save the planet, see further enlightenment and understand nature more in its many shapes and forms.  The impact avatar had on science and space travel.. Etc.. I consider Avatar the ultimate embodiment of mass cultural impact... And tele there are 3 more movies left to take the franchise even further.  So pandorian magic is only getting started.  And it's the biggest start in history of all the franchises and that's quite a feat. 

12 hours ago, Cochofles said:

The funniest thing to me is that the biggest purveyors of the "AVATAR SUCKS BECAUSE IT'S UNORIGINAL AND DERIVATIVE AND IT'S ONLY ABOUT SPECTACLE AND SPECIAL EFFECTS!!" notion are huge fans and defenders of the Star Wars and Marvel franchises. Yep...those indie, special-effects-free bastions of originality, creativity, and character-driven unpredictability. :) 

The funniest thing to me is that the biggest purveyors of the "AVATAR SUCKS BECAUSE IT'S UNORIGINAL AND DERIVATIVE AND IT'S ONLY ABOUT SPECTACLE AND SPECIAL EFFECTS!!" notion are huge fans and defenders of the Star Wars and Marvel franchises. Yep...those indie, special-effects-free bastions of originality, creativity, and character-driven unpredictability. :) 

BITCHES

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Kalel009Shel said:

Well you call sws a cultural impact, correct?  Avatar is  sws on steroids.  Getting studios around the world to think of 3d as a tool to tell better stories and not just a flash in  the pan gimic.  The new benchmarks it represents in technology,  causing hundreds of millions of people to give more,  and save the planet, see further enlightenment and understand nature more in its many shapes and forms.  The impact avatar had on science and space travel.. Etc.. I consider Avatar the ultimate embodiment of mass cultural impact... And tele there are 3 more movies left to take the franchise even further.  So pandorian magic is only getting started.  And it's the biggest start in history of all the franchises and that's quite a feat. 

Hahahahaha!

You're a funny guy. 

The producers for Avatar didn't want Jim to put an enviromental message in the film because they feared no one would care.

The Avatar sequels could save the planet, Jim will go down as one of the most important people in saving the Earth from self destruction.

2 hours ago, Jessie said:

Oh. Still not news 

nope.  There probably won't be real news for a while, but sadly, this thread will move on with all the extracurricular stuff anyway :P 

Just now, BKB IS CAPTAIN AMERICA said:

Yeah, I'm thinking of giving ya a big fat NO.. Joss Whedon will actually be remembered for his incredible work on Buffy and for being the 1st to put together the superhero ensemble in The AVENGERS, propelling it to the $$$$$ it's made, resulting in lighting a fire underneath WB/DC's ass to get going on their ensemble movie...

b3fb959f91c1cf7c33b0f188d2f64bf1.jpg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, LinksterAC said:

People are really predicting $800M in China?

Seriously?

I don't mean to discount it as a possibility, because it certainly is, but holy cow folks!  Talk about predicting with your heart.

If you see an insane prediction in this thread, just remember who likely originated it. ;)

• Like 1