Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

2 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

New interview where Jimbo hypes Avatar

https://www.thestar.com/entertainment/movies/opinion/2018/04/26/james-cameron-had-to-wait-for-science-to-catch-up-to-his-sci-fi-ambitions.html

Read all of this one to be honest guys Jim is hyping the shit out of the Avatar sequels

God is he eloquent. I know just how much effort the man puts into his projects, and this is on another level. 

Anyone doubting him is insane. Calling it now - $100B worldwide - 10 month run in China. 

1 minute ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

God is he eloquent. I know just how much effort the man puts into his projects, and this is on another level. 

Anyone doubting him is insane. Calling it now - $100B worldwide - 10 month run in China. 

not like you to lowball

• Haha 2

What sort of opening weekend in America&Canada are you guys expecting? When Avatar came out it was the biggest opening weekend for an original release but now it's the sequel to the highest grossing film of all time.

It's hard to say because I think even if it opened to like $180m or something it could still gross more than Avatar.

Regardless of muricah overseas will be incredible no doubt, $3b WW is the floor.

Edited by IronJimbo

The first one did

Dec 18-24: $137 million

Dec 25-31: $145.6 

$282.6 in the first two weeks 

The Force Awakens for the same date range did $390.8 and $261.1. 

It will depend on the promo, the teasers/trailers and the initial buzz they generate. I don't think the hype will match the insanity of The Force Awakens. 

I think they would be happy with anything north of $350-$400 million for the first two weeks with a movie that has legs and a lot of repeat viewers, if it's anything like that Flight of Passage of video that I've watched a dozen times already in far less than ideal conditions they can count on me as a repeat for sure. 

I get a feeling the visuals alone will knock people on their asses, if the story matches up = MAGIC.

13 minutes ago, Deuce66 said:

The first one did

Dec 18-24: $137 million

Dec 25-31: $145.6 

$282.6 in the first two weeks 

The Force Awakens for the same date range did $390.8 and $261.1. 

It will depend on the promo, the teasers/trailers and the initial buzz they generate. I don't think the hype will match the insanity of The Force Awakens. 

I think they would be happy with anything north of $350-$400 million for the first two weeks with a movie that has legs and a lot of repeat viewers, if it's anything like that Flight of Passage of video that I've watched a dozen times already in far less than ideal conditions they can count on me as a repeat for sure. 

I get a feeling the visuals alone will knock people on their asses, if the story matches up = MAGIC.

I'm thinking $190m into a nutty second weekend of over $110m then chugging on like a trooper to 850 or so. Then of course worldwide picks up the slack and we got soaring.

It sounds as though we're in for some magic by the way

"we’re going to a depth of character and a depth of storytelling that the first film didn’t have"

" In writing the new films, I've come to realize that Avatar's world, story and characters have become even richer than I anticipated, "

Edited by IronJimbo
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

I'm thinking $190m into a nutty second weekend of over $110m then chugging on like a trooper to 850 or so. Then of course worldwide picks up the slack and we got soaring.

It sounds as though we're in for some magic by the way

"we’re going to a depth of character and a depth of storytelling that the first film didn’t have"

" In writing the new films, I've come to realize that Avatar's world, story and characters have become even richer than I anticipated, "

400M OW and 450M second weekend. You read it here first. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

I think that drop is too harsh for the second weekend. The way the calendar is set up for December 2020, Avatar 2's second weekend will be boosted by Christmas and Boxing Day. TFA dropped under 40% in its second weekend despite a record-breaking $248 million OW.  

• Like 2

Guerrasio: I need to bring up "Avatar," Jon, what are the challenges of shooting two movies at the same time?

Landau: Well, we are doing a little more than two. 

Guerrasio: Oh, I thought you were shooting just two right now simultaneously.

Landau: Two and a little more. 

Guerrasio: Ah, ok. 

Landau: I think what we had to get our heads around is the first “Avatar” was a marathon. Now we're running a triathlon. We have to gauge ourselves and our crew to handle that long-term thing. But when you break it down, what we are really doing here is a miniseries on a super scale. There are segments of that miniseries that need to come to completion for the story arc. And then you build upon that. Once we got our heads around that we're really telling one big story, we were able to figure out how to plan it and schedule it. The cast is there and they are doing scenes from movie two today, movie three tomorrow. But we explained to them it's not different than doing just one movie. You do the end scene on day five and another scene another day. It's just communicating that to people. 

What does Landau mean by two and a little more? I thought the 3 year gap between 3&4 meant they would only be doing 2&3 scenes for now and not touching 4&5.

Could Landua be hinting at something else? He didn't explicitly say they were shooting 3 or 4.

Edited by IronJimbo

11 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

Reading comments that IW could beat 1A has me laughing. I'm not sure people realise just how much A1 made. 

I haven't seen anyone that deluded on BOT, where are you seeing them?

1 hour ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

Reading comments that IW could beat 1A has me laughing. I'm not sure people realise just how much A1 made. 

These people don't know how to use a calculator or have no idea how quickly Marvel movies fade at the box office, they burst out of the gate really fast but start dropping 40-55% per week starting in week #2. Ultron hit $260 million in China, even if you give Infinity a boost to $500 million it will have a hard time getting to $2 Billion. 

3 minutes ago, Deuce66 said:

These people don't know how to use a calculator or have no idea how quickly Marvel movies fade at the box office, they burst out of the gate really fast but start dropping 40-55% per week starting in week #2. Ultron hit $260 million in China, even if you give Infinity a boost to $500 million it will have a hard time getting to $2 Billion. 

they're letting the big opening weekend faze their minds, it's like they're expecting a 40% drop or something

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Deuce66 said:

These people don't know how to use a calculator or have no idea how quickly Marvel movies fade at the box office, they burst out of the gate really fast but start dropping 40-55% per week starting in week #2. Ultron hit $260 million in China, even if you give Infinity a boost to $500 million it will have a hard time getting to $2 Billion

Oh if it does that much in China then it's definitely reaching 2B, even Titanic is within reach. It'll won't do $500M in China though, there's a ceiling to how much Hollywood film can make in China now, that is still at $400M. Cameron films are known to completely blow away these "ceilings" though.