Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

41 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Opens reddit

Sees post saying avatar sequels won't all make over a single (ONE) billie

40 likes

Uninstall reddit

Marvel fans are swarming reddit with a lot of negativity about Avatar. You can feel their utter jealousy that the movie came out of nowhere and still towers above everything else. I'm seeing the classic "it was the 3d gimmick!" and "it was the marketing!" all over again. 

They want Avatar to be dethroned so badly. Some part of me hopes Avatar is finally dethroned so the MCU can be the focus of hate, and inflation was always going to kill the record eventually anyway, it's stood for long enough. Besides, Avatar 2 will take back the crown in just a few months, and victory will be all the sweeter because the haters will be out of excuses. :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Deuce66 said:

Hollywood Reporter article: early estimates mirror my #'s somewhere in the $2.3-2.5B range.

Box Office: Can 'Avengers: Endgame' Topple 'Avatar's' $2.8 Billion All-Time Record?

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/box-office-can-avengers-endgame-topple-avatars-28b-record-1205456

It's looking like $2.3-2.5B, but I give 50/50 odds it pushes past Avatar. If it does, that just proves how much foreign markets have grown since the original Avatar, and I expect $4B or even $5B to be within range for Avatar 2 in that case.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Astonished 1

6 minutes ago, Pure Spirit said:

It's looking like $2.3-2.5B, but I give 50/50 odds it pushes past Avatar. If it does, that just proves how much foreign markets have grown since the original Avatar, and I expect $4B or even $5B to be within range for Avatar 2 in that case.

If we have another economic crash we could be looking at 6b

• Thanks 3

Avatar was the first non "Educational" movie I saw in IMAX, and it was actually the reason the theater near my house installed an IMAX....

I honestly do not think this movie is going to do as well as many have hoped, because i think the appealing aspect of the first Avatar, was that it was shot with IMAX cameras..

I honestly think our only  challenge is the domestic crown and getting that 1 bil domestic mark or better Jimbo.  Folks should learn that jim coming off a mega picture may have no equal when it comes to support for his mega franchises that he is personally at the helm.

Avatar 2 will Shatter the 3billion worldwide.

2 hours ago, Pure Spirit said:

Shh don't tell the Avtr wont be hopefuls that. They will realize it when we double the gross os alone of any of the behemoths and we could be looking at a real shot at 3.5 b os or better. Holy crap on the size increases of China, Japan and Australian bo markets.

Folks keep forgetting it took an increase of 80% or better on theaters internationally, huge ticket price jumps and more to even smell numbers near to avtr1 ww. Lol wonder why they think avtr wont double or triple these films in the now expanded market scope when the 2009 model likely wont be touched by anything less than a Jc movie.

5. billion worldwide.

Edited by Sheldon Cr
  • Like 1

On 4/28/2019 at 3:23 AM, IronJimbo said:

Oh my.

Sometimes I wonder if they believe these things becasue they've thought it through, or believe them because they want it to be true.

Folks can dream for Avtr2 to fail it won't be happening. Im more curious on what 64-100 fps Avatar 2 will look like Jimbo. Seen that news post?

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Pure Spirit said:

Marvel fans are swarming reddit with a lot of negativity about Avatar. You can feel their utter jealousy that the movie came out of nowhere and still towers above everything else. I'm seeing the classic "it was the 3d gimmick!" and "it was the marketing!" all over again. 

They want Avatar to be dethroned so badly. Some part of me hopes Avatar is finally dethroned so the MCU can be the focus of hate, and inflation was always going to kill the record eventually anyway, it's stood for long enough. Besides, Avatar 2 will take back the crown in just a few months, and victory will be all the sweeter because the haters will be out of excuses. :)

"No one talks about Avatar anymore."

"Constantly talks about Avatar when any movie makes any serious money."

Point out the error in the above reasoning for 10 marks. :Gaga:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

All this talk about whether or not Endgame will dethrone Avatar, and here I am considering Titanic to have had the most impressive run of any of James Cameron’s movies. 

Probably the most impressive run of all time even if Endgame or the Avatar sequels reach $3 Billion. 

Avatar 2 should have a big curiosity factor that will attract people who might not have even liked the first one. Depends also on how big the connection the sequels will have to the first one.

4 minutes ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

Probably the most impressive run of all time even if Endgame or the Avatar sequels reach $3 Billion. 

Avatar 2 should have a big curiosity factor that will attract people who might not have even liked the first one. Depends also on how big the connection the sequels will have to the first one.

Given Jim's track record on sequels I think we can be assured it'll be better than the original in every way. 

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

"No one talks about Avatar anymore."

"Constantly talks about Avatar when any movie makes any serious money."

Point out the error in the above reasoning for 10 marks. :Gaga:

To be fair, the line about "no one talks about Avatar" probably refers to its plot/storyline and memorable lines. Not memorable at all. The visuals and its BO gross are the only things memorable in Avatar. So the Jim Gang should wish and pray that Jim has new visual innovation up his sleeve so that the audiences will become really curious.

Edited by UserHN

1 hour ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

People remember the visuals from a movie?! Amazing.  

Oh please. People only saw Avatar because it is visually spectacular and because of the 3D craze, no matter how hard the Jim Gang try to deny it. And yes, people remember visuals from movies. Take the 2016 The Jungle Book. It made almost a billion because of its amazing VFX of hyperrealistic animals. I'm also pretty sure the people won't easily forget this year's TLK VFX animals.

• Haha 1
  • ...wtf 1
  • Knock It Off 1

2 hours ago, UserHN said:

Oh please. People only saw Avatar because it is visually spectacular and because of the 3D craze, no matter how hard the Jim Gang try to deny it. And yes, people remember visuals from movies. Take the 2016 The Jungle Book. It made almost a billion because of its amazing VFX of hyperrealistic animals. I'm also pretty sure the people won't easily forget this year's TLK VFX animals.

So just to be clear... you're saying people watch movies for the visuals? STOP THE PRESSES PEOPLE. 

• Haha 5

14 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

JAll this talk about whether or not Endgame will dethrone Avatar, and here I am considering Titanic to have had the most impressive run of any of James Cameron’s movies. 

Of course, Titanic is the most impressive global run of all time.

Here are some of the things it achieved that might not ever be achieved again, even for those who breaks the all time worldwide record, these are not really achievable.

1. Biggest ticket seller domestically in it's first run of all time (~130 Million tickets)

2. Doubled the worldwide highest grossing film within only 4 years of release (Titanic's 1.84 B vs Jurassic Park's 914 Million), this is like if a movie came out in 2013 and doubled Avatar worldwide (earning 5.6 B).

3. It tripled the second highest grossing film world wide that year (Lost World: Jurassic Park)

4. In a rapid growing market like China, Titanic maintained all time highest grossing film for 11 years (1998 to 2009)

5. Set the record for highest grossing film ever in most countries when it was released, still holds the highest tickets sold record in many European countries.

6. not box office related, but getting domestic all time crown, worldwide all time crown in box office, while getting nominated for 14 Oscar, winning best picture, and winning 11 Oscars.... This has got to be a feat that can't be achieved simultaneously again.

Edited by NCsoft
  • Thanks 3