Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

As it has in recent years, CinemaCon sponsor Dolby has outfitted the Colosseum — CinemaCon’s main venue at Caesars Palace in Las Vegas — with Dolby Atmos immersive sound and Dolby Vision, meaning they are installing the company’s premium 4K, high dynamic range, high frame rate and 3D capable laser-based projection system. Dolby has also prepped thousands of 3D glasses for CinemaCon.

The Colosseum also houses both Christie and Barco laser projectors for this week’s event. With such capabilities, it would seem Cameron, producer Jon Landau, and Disney/20th Century intend to dazzle delegates.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/avatar-2-cinemacon-james-cameron-1235131009/

• Like 3

The full Hollywood Reporter article - I have to say I'm really envious of everyone who will be seeing footage tomorrow, you just know the display will be at 100% quality. 

Avatar 2’ Expected to Preview at CinemaCon

The exhibition community is readying for the sequel to James Cameron's 2009 blockbuster (which made more than $2.8 billion at the box office). Cinema tech firm Christie confirms it's working with Cameron's Lightstorm to advance theatrical capabilities.

While Disney is keeping tight-lipped, CinemaCon attendees are expected to get a first glimpse at James Cameron’s wildly anticipated Avatar sequels — the first of which is scheduled to open Dec. 16 — during its slate presentation Wednesday at the theater owners confab.

Meanwhile, on Tuesday, projector maker Christie and Cameron’s Lightstorm Entertainment announced their 16-year partnership includes collaborating on advancing theatrical display capabilities for 3D and high frame rates for Avatar 2.

Avatar‘s immense impact on movies — from production to exhibition — can’t be understated. Cameron’s 2009 Avatar is the highest-grossing movie of all time with $2.84 billion, and exhibitors no doubt hope for more of that magic in the pandemic era. Avatar also played a large part in cinema innovation, from playing a key role in ushering in the digital 3D movie era to introducing new production techniques in areas such as performance capture and virtual production.

As it has in recent years, CinemaCon sponsor Dolby has outfitted the Colosseum — CinemaCon’s main venue at Caesars Palace in Las Vegas — with Dolby Atmos immersive sound and Dolby Vision, meaning they are installing the company’s premium 4K, high dynamic range, high frame rate and 3D capable laser-based projection system. Dolby has also prepped thousands of 3D glasses for CinemaCon.

The Colosseum also houses both Christie and Barco laser projectors for this week’s event. With such capabilities, it would seem Cameron, producer Jon Landau and Disney/20th Century intend to dazzle delegates.

It is understood that, when released, Avatar 2 will be offered in a variety of formats to support the range of movie theater configurations in the U.S. and around the world, including 3D and 4K, and incorporating a high frame rate of 48 fps.

The partnership between Lightstorm and Christie began in 2006 and has included providing Lightstorm with Christie’s newest projection systems as well as support. “Over the years, we’ve worked closely with the team at Lightstorm,” says Brian Claypool, executive vp of cinema at Christie. “With our range of Xenon and RGB laser projectors with Real|Laser technology, Lightstorm has been able to review footage at various stages of production, to ensure the final product looks as intended on the big screen.”

Part of Lightstorm’s production process includes a Christie 4K, high-frame-rate-capable projector installed into a “pod,” used to review footage as it’s filmed on set. Additionally, Lightstorm has Christie projectors installed in multiple postproduction environments, allowing Cameron to work on creating the final images to be used in Avatar 2.

“Christie has been a good partner. We’re using their projection systems at all our production sites, in the U.S. and New Zealand,” says Cameron in a released statement. “Wherever I am, I can view progress on my films in high quality stereo 3D, just as the audience will see the movies in theaters when they come out. This is essential to our working process.”

Cinema tech developers at CinemaCon are focused on the theatrical exhibition of Avatar sequels. Among them is Cinionic, the cinema company that offers Barco projectors. “He’s pushing the boundaries again on technology, we are really looking forward to that,” Cinionic CEO Wim Buyens said of Cameron.

Buyens tells The Hollywood Reporter that Barco projectors are installed in 100,000 cinema auditoriums worldwide, with 30,000 of those being the higher brightness laser-based systems. He adds that 25,000 screens are additionally equipped with the Barco Alchemy media servers that enable high frame rate projection. “On 3D, we are doubling down and getting a lot of questions from customers, because 3D has been a little in the background, but [the industry is] trying to get back to a great 3D presentation. We are working together with partners like RealD and others to make that happen.”

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Deep Wang said:

Well, too bad because studios don't like numbered sequels anymore lol.

I know. But I miss times when Dirty Harry sequel was just Sudden Impact, or The Dead Pool. Years ago people didn't affraid of making Goldfinger, not "OO7: Goldfinger". It can't be The Winter Soldier anymore, it has to be Captain America: The Winter Soldier. If it has to have main title in it, I preffer titles without " : " anyway, like The Bourne Identity > The Bourne Supremacy > The Bourne Ultimatum, or Rise of the Planet of tha Apes > Dawn of the Planet of the Apes > War for the Planet of the Apes, or The Wolverine > LoganBatman > Batman Returns > Batman Forever > Batman & Robin > Batman Begins, and so on. Cameron himself is an author of Aliens (brilliant title). Now even Catching Fire or New Moon can't be just that, it has to be The Hunger Games: Catching Fire / The "Twillight" Saga: New Moon. Idiotic.

Now, after Avatar sequels titles, only Apes, Bond, Bourne and Batman are the last franchises with no "Title + 2 dots + subtitle" I can remember. I hope it would last as long as possible.

Edited by Juby
  • Like 1

https://twitter.com/HertzBarry/status/1519038193881944064?s=20&t=TZsAy6Pc9ivsS79bavc_XA

Edit: guy below me actually knows how to post, its the same Barry Hertz tweet

Edited by interiorgatordecorator

10 minutes ago, BruiseCruise said:

What is North Atlantic Treaty Organization doing here ?? 🤨

Spoiler

Edited by Issac Newton

5 minutes ago, MultiverseXXR said:

2D IMAX for me.

cringe

36 minutes ago, BruiseCruise said:

Rest of the remarks

It is understood that, when released, Avatar 2 will be offered in a wide variety of formats to support the range of movie theater configurations in the U.S. and around the world, including 3D and 4K and incorporating a high frame rate of 48 fps.

In fact, there will be more versions  Avatar 2 than any movie “in the history of movies,” asserted John Fithian, president and CEO of the National Association of Theater Owners, at CinemaCon on Tuesday. “We are talking about high resolution, high frame rates, 3D, IMAX, PLF, different sound systems and in 160 different languages.

“He is working very closely with our members around the world to show his movie in the best possible way,” he says. “Jim is uniquely driven. He’s brilliant.”

On this ambitious plan, Fithian adds, “There may be only a couple hundreds screens in [some of the formats] but he wants [Avatar 2] on those screens. It’s time to make sure your light levels are correct and everything about the picture is correct. We’re excited about it.”

• Knock It Off 1

2 hours ago, Juby said:

I know. But I miss times when Dirty Harry sequel was just Sudden Impact, or The Dead Pool. Years ago people didn't affraid of making Goldfinger, not "OO7: Goldfinger". It can't be The Winter Soldier anymore, it has to be Captain America: The Winter Soldier. If it has to have main title in it, I preffer titles without " : " anyway, like The Bourne Identity > The Bourne Supremacy > The Bourne Ultimatum, or Rise of the Planet of tha Apes > Dawn of the Planet of the Apes > War for the Planet of the Apes, or The Wolverine > LoganBatman > Batman Returns > Batman Forever > Batman & Robin > Batman Begins, and so on. Cameron himself is an author of Aliens (brilliant title). Now even Catching Fire or New Moon can't be just that, it has to be The Hunger Games: Catching Fire / The "Twillight" Saga: New Moon. Idiotic.

Now, after Avatar sequels titles, only Apes, Bond, Bourne and Batman are the last franchises with no "Title + 2 dots + subtitle" I can remember. I hope it would last as long as possible.

The Apes series includes the "brand" in the title, same with all the Batman movies.  I can see how people would be confused as hell with a movie just called The Winter Soldier or Civil War though.  

Everything today is about branding and awareness, if a studio isn't 100% confident in their product, there's nothing we can do.