Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

17 hours ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

Spider-verse delayed to 2023, meaning that if Untitled 20th Century Studios Film (releasing wide of september 23 2022) is the avatar re-release itll have 3 weeks of puss in boots being its only real competition, I also dont think halloween ends will use 3d, so it can hold onto the vast majority of 3d screens for 4 weeks until black adam

That of course only applies if theres demand for it, and I think there is

Spideverse is a SONY film not a Disney film.Disney really has not much control over when Spideyverse comes out.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Elessar said:

I don't think there's any guarentee that there will be an Avatar re-release. Where do the people get the idea? There might have been an intention or plan to do it a long time ago but thinks change or don't develop further.

It'd be pretty stupid not to give it some kind of new theatrical exhibition in the runup to the release, though I don't think it's going to be pumped up as a big event in itself.

23 hours ago, Elessar said:

I don't think there's any guarentee that there will be an Avatar re-release. Where do the people get the idea? There might have been an intention or plan to do it a long time ago but thinks change or don't develop further.

I think it's a no brainer. Couple it with marketing from Avatar 2 and it's basically free money. If there is one thing people generally agree on with Avatar is that it's something that needs to be seen in a theater, and there is a whole new generation who didn't get a chance to see it on the big screen, I'm sure some of them want to know what all the fuss was about.

The re-release did pretty well in China too (better than the new Batman movie lol)

• Like 1

Just now, Elessar said:

Just saying don't assume it's gonna happen like some people do, like it's a certainty.

They may also just do some double features in December, nothing big.

Yeah, the idea of a wide release playing for an entire month right before the new movie comes out sounds like a terrible idea.

At most you do a limit engagement at IMAX/Dolby locations for a single week.

Double features the day of release are of course perfectly normal, and I'm sure we will see more than a few of those.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Deep Wang said:

Yeah, the idea of a wide release playing for an entire month right before the new movie comes out sounds like a terrible idea.

The implication here being that a full re-release of Avatar might reduce demand for Avatar 2?

I wouldn't agree. Lucas did it with not one, but three Star Wars re-releases only a few months prior to Episode I (those of course being the special editions), and I don't think there's really an argument to be made that they had any real effect on Episode I's box office performance, which was very good.

The difference in potential between an Avatar re-release and Avatar 2 is so great that, even if you were to posit that 50% of the people who watch the Avatar re-release decide for some reason that they now don't want or need to see Avatar 2 (which is itself absurd), it would have very little impact on Avatar 2's box office total.

Just now, hw64 said:

The implication here being that a full re-release of Avatar might reduce demand for Avatar 2?

I wouldn't agree. Lucas did it with not one, but three Star Wars re-releases only a few months prior to Episode I (those of course being the special editions), and I don't think there's really an argument to be made that they had any real effect on Episode I's box office performance, which was very good.

Yeah, those Special Editions came out in '97, two full years before The Phantom Menace.  

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Deep Wang said:

Don't think there's really any precedent for us to compare it to, but considering avatar is the 3d movie i'm sure there's going to be demand for it, and I doubt there's too many people, specially if the audience is mostly made up of big fans and newcomers, who after seeing avatar in 3d wont want to watch the sequel.  

The probably shouldn't do a month long re-release with a massive marketing campaign, but having it run for 2 weeks with an avatar 2 trailer attached should do more good than bad

Edited by interiorgatordecorator

53 minutes ago, Deep Wang said:

Yeah, those Special Editions came out in '97, two full years before The Phantom Menace.  

Oh yeah, sorry — I knew Episode I came out in 1999, but 1997 was in my head for some reason.

In any case, I would revert to my other argument, which is that the potential audience of an Avatar re-release (which is the box office equivalent of hundreds of millions of dollars at best) is so small compared to the potential audience of Avatar 2 ($2, $3+ billion box office equivalent) that even if a large proportion of the audience for the Avatar re-release decide not to tune in for Avatar 2 — and there's no reasonable argument for that being the case — it would make very little difference to Avatar 2's box office potential.

Any reasonable estimate as to how much of Avatar 2's potential audience might be put off by an Avatar re-release would be on the 'droplets in a bucket'-type scale — tens of millions at best in a movie that's going to be making multiple billions. And when you weigh it up against the portion of the audience that will decide to see Avatar 2 based off of watching the re-release, the idea that a wide re-release of Avatar will have any net negative impact on the potential gross of Avatar 2 — let alone a significant one — seems silly.

Edited by hw64

51 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

Just do a one week rerelease in the post thanksgiving weekend, close enough to release to be Marketing, plus gives theaters a new release in a usually dead weekend. 

I think it should be timed to the release of the final trailer, whenever that might be.  Wanna see the IMAX trailer in 3D?! 

Maybe even do a Nolan-esque IMAX playing only in front of this Avatar rerelease?

7 hours ago, Deep Wang said:

I think it should be timed to the release of the final trailer, whenever that might be.  Wanna see the IMAX trailer in 3D?! 

Maybe even do a Nolan-esque IMAX playing only in front of this Avatar rerelease?

A month has been pretty common for final trailers lately 🤷‍♂️

Puss in boots moved from what seems to be the avatars re-release tentative release date to Marios december 21 spot

A september 23 avatar re-release would have 0 competition now, 3 billion theres for the taking (I think). And Puss is a smaller project than Mario (I think), so these 2 delays are a net positive for James Cameron's Avatar franchise

The Polish distributor confirmed today that the official Polish title will be Avatar: Istota wody - which means the official title of the film in fact IS Avatar: The Way of Water. You can change the name of this topic.

Shame. I don't like "Title: subtitle" kind of titles in films.

Edited by Juby

3 hours ago, Juby said:

The Polish distributor confirmed today that the official Polish title will be Avatar: Istota wody - which means the official title of the film in fact IS Avatar: The Way of Water. You can change the name of this topic.

Shame. I don't like "Title: subtitle" kind of titles in films.

Well, too bad because studios don't like numbered sequels anymore lol.

9 minutes ago, Deep Wang said:

Well, too bad because studios don't like numbered sequels anymore lol.

If you put a number in front people assume you got to watch the previous ones to fully enjoy it.

I hope everyone is ready for the incoming hype train on wednesday when 20 minutes of footage is release you'll have 500 people with small to large twitter followings going bonkers.

Probably the beginning of the hype train for the regular audience, espcially after the Teaser in front of Doctor Strange.

Edited by IronJimbo