Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

It's funny to read some of the comments now and then remember the reactions to the first Avatar trailers. Some reactions are quite similar: it's meh, visuals but not a plot, this is a Cameron stravaganza, this gonna disappoint, I miss Cameron preTitanic... The only difference is social media noise, but that won't hurt. Awareness is there and GA is already really waiting for this.

With every day I am more and more convinced this gonna explode again like crazy.

I certainly get the concerns about the lack of a clear narrative hook in the trailer (similar to the teaser it leans on the awe and wonder) but conceptually there’s some really fascinating stuff being teased with reincarnation and the spiritualism in this world. Curious if we’ll get a more narrative third trailer.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, stripe said:

It's not like he has done many movies after Titanic... Well, in fact, he actually directed just another movie, Avatar.

Yeah but my issue is that everything around the two avatar sequels has spanned 25 years and the product is well still good but not great. 

We have waited 13 years for the sequel and for now it's just looks exactly like 2009 with a big spectacle at the end which also happens like the final battle in the first movie.

Love spectacle when  its well built up but the 2010s have been filled with spectacle cinema .  Just seeing that trailer was dissapointing.  

Even the posters look similar.

Let's see what the film . The Navi will break or make the film because the plot feels very similar which is dissapointing by Cameron standards.

Yeah he has taken all 13 years and the visuals look great but is the story worth the wait?.

20 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

This is a 190 minutes movie from a director known for making brutally changes in his sequels

I think is really naive to complain about "it's too similar to the first one" based on 5 minutes of footage that doesn't even show anything relevant about the story

Not gonna lie, if Cameron does a reverse Terminator and makes Jake the villain in this one I'll be very impressed.

Edited by Hatebox
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, stripe said:

It's funny to read some of the comments now and then remember the reactions to the first Avatar trailers. Some reactions are quite similar: it's meh, visuals but not a plot, this is a Cameron stravaganza, this gonna disappoint, I miss Cameron preTitanic... The only difference is social media noise, but that won't hurt. Awareness is there and GA is already really waiting for this.

With every day I am more and more convinced this gonna explode again like crazy.

I think trailer didn't show much on purpose to keep some secrets compared to what first Avatar trailer did explaining all of the plot in 3 minutes. I see plenty of guys who already made their verdict on A2 being a copycat of A1, yet curious if they complain about tens of MCU/DC movies showing same stuff all over again with different heroes over years. Let's first see A2 in cinema and then we can say if it was copycat of first movie.

Edited by adaros
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, adaros said:

I think trailer didn't show much on purpose to keep some secrets compared to what first Avatar trailer did explaining all of the plot in 3 minutes. I see plenty of guys who already made their verdict on A2 being a copycat of A1, yet curious if they complain about tens of MCU/DC movies showing same stuff all over again with different heroes over years. Let's first see A2 in cinema and then we can say if it was copycat of first movie.

MCU has had complaints about it's format for a while now.

27 minutes ago, Liiviig 1998 said:

Yeah but my issue is that everything around the two avatar sequels has spanned 25 years and the product is well still good but not great. 

We have waited 13 years for the sequel and for now it's just looks exactly like 2009 with a big spectacle at the end which also happens like the final battle in the first movie.

Love spectacle when  its well built up but the 2010s have been filled with spectacle cinema .  Just seeing that trailer was dissapointing.  

Even the posters look similar.

Let's see what the film . The Navi will break or make the film because the plot feels very similar which is dissapointing by Cameron standards.

Yeah he has taken all 13 years and the visuals look great but is the story worth the wait?.

Visually it's very related to the first movie. Why shouldn't it? It's the same world.

Take a look at the teasers of the first Avatar. They didn't focus on story either. There was a final trailer to tease the plot, and I think they are following that strategy with the sequel.

I am sure Cameron won't go the same route as first Avatar plot wise.

I don't get your concern with the big spectacle third act. Every single Cameron movie had it, same as every action/scifi/adventure tentpole. Anyways, we still have no clue about that third act or the plot.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, adaros said:

It was the last Avatar trailer that explained all the plot in 3 minutes. Before, we had teasers hidding the story and focusing on the visuals.

1 hour ago, Borobudur said:

About 18m views on main trailer after first 24 hours, is it good? 

Mediocre. Other channels haven't blown up like the first teaser which did well on other official YouTube channels ex: fox star studios India. Also, twitter / facebook count is less compared to teaser. Don't know about china. Hard to predict box office, but I think TGM will be #1 domestic.

Teaser: 33.9m views on YouTube at 24 hours (10.7m main channel)

Trailer: 31.3m views on YouTube at 24 hours (18m main channel)

Will note also that there was an issue where most non-official uploads of the trailer were copyright claimed and unavailable to anyone outside of India for about the first 7-8 hours of the trailer's release yesterday.

Edited by hw64

18 minutes ago, adaros said:

Uncompressed top vs YouTube 1080p bottom:

test.png

Problem is that there are gonna be SO MANY people like me that just can't tell a difference.  Like if I zoom in and look at small details I *think* I see it, but it's a coinflip.  

But I have terrible eyes, so who knows?

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

I think it’s a little odd to say that this looks just like the first one, while also acknowledging that the trailer doesn’t tell you much about the movie. 

Exactly, also this were only 2:28min of a 3hour movie. Amazing that some people can judge a whole movie by just seeing 1,3% of it.