Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

On 11/15/2022 at 8:33 AM, kayumanggi said:

Ant-Man 3 having better visuals than Avatar 2? 😭😭😭 No. Just no. 😂

One thing people are forgetting is the effect of football world cup 2022. Will be sucking away hype for the next month. Finals are on 18th Dec. So the business on 16, 17 and 18 could be lesser than expected especially 18th.

Edited by marveldcfox

5 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

One thing people are forgetting is the effect of football world cup 2022. Will be sucking away hype for the next month. Finals are on 18th Dec. So the business on 16, 17 and 18 could be lesser than expected especially 18th.

Especially if Canada and the USA or England have deep runs

8 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

It has happened before! Age of Ultron didn't have a bigger opening wasn't bigger was because of the Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacicao fight

1 hour ago, Reddroast said:

Especially if Canada and the USA or England have deep runs

my guy really just brought up the possibility of the US of A reaching the wc semifinals as if it were the most normal thing in the world

cope has consumed that man's mind

Edited by interiorgatordecorator
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

my guy really just brought up the possibility of the US of A reaching the wc semifinals as if it were the most normal thing in the world

cope has consumed that man's mind

Honestly I wish. A major sporting event isn't direct competition to Avatar and is a perfect opportunity to be BLASTING ADS 

So these are the problem matches.

SEMI FINAL #2 | Wed Dec 14 - 7pm GMT

3RD PLACE MATCH | Sat Dec 17 - 3pm GMT

GMT WC FINAL | Sun Dec 18 - 3pm

Many countries are getting an early release on the 14th, Austria, Sweden, France come to mind. Definetly could hurt EU box office.

3rd place match, people will watch it but will 100% skip to go see Avatar 2. So long as their national isn't one of the two teams playing.

WC Final. Brutal, could cost $100m of box office worldwide. No joke. Maybe 10m domestic?

Edited by IronJimbo

5 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

So these are the problem matches.

SEMI FINAL #2 | Wed Dec 14 - 7pm GMT

3RD PLACE MATCH | Sat Dec 17 - 3pm GMT

GMT WC FINAL | Sun Dec 18 - 3pm

Many countries are getting an early release on the 14th, Austria, Sweden, France come to mind. Definetly could hurt EU box office.

3rd place match, people will watch it but will 100% skip to go see Avatar 2. So long as their national isn't one of the two teams playing.

WC Final. Brutal, could cost $100m of box office worldwide. No joke. Maybe 10m domestic?

3RD  place matches were never interesting. The viewer count was always were low, even in the countries who participate in those matches.

I don't see the World Cup affecting Avatar business at all, in fact I think all it can do is help, whatever the level of hype. All I see is millions of people sitting at their TV watching ads. and you know Disney will use that as an opportunity to advertise the movie.

So maybe you will get a lower opening weekend, but it's not like Avatar is leaving theaters anytime soon after the World Cup ends.

Someone enlighten me if I'm wrong

• Like 1

On 11/14/2022 at 2:08 PM, Deep Wang said:

Original Avatar had Sherlock Holmes, Alvin and the Chipmunks, and It's Complicated opening on it's second weekend with a combined $132m dollars and Avatar still BARELY dropped.

Please do not remind me - I've tried very hard to black those weeks out of my memory 😬

On 11/14/2022 at 2:08 PM, Deep Wang said:

Okay, so maybe I'm crazy, but having no competition isn't always a good thing.  Christmas is the one time of the year, that I think competition is good.  

I was there in Dec 2017 and I saw with my own eyes people not being able to get into Jumanji, so they went to TLJ(not every single time of course).  There's no way to quantify this obviously, but especially during December movies perform JUST fine with lots of competition.  The Christmas break is basically nonstop Saturdays for 2 weeks except for the two Eve's.

But I'm with you on this. Not just for spillover effects, but having larger number of high interest titles becomes additive, in that movie-going becomes habitual, a weekly/bi-weekly event. When there is a lack of product, people just seek out other leisure activities altogether. A dead week here or there is fine, gives a chance to circle back to other titles they may have skipped/missed and produce good holds, but a light release slate is not a good thing. I don't think its a coincidence that we've had very good periods (last October-December, March-July this year) and then some VERY weak off months.

By mid-December, most everyone will have seen BPWF, we'll be lamenting how poor Strange World did, and all the adult titles will be nearly if not completely dead. So that leaves an animated Puss in Boots, a handful of adult-skewing titles, and Avatar 2. The busiest Christmases I've experienced are when there is something for everyone - 2018 & 2019 are both good examples -  but here not really much for the GA besides Avatar, and many may just check out for Christmas

• Thanks 1