Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

3 hours ago, The GOAT said:

I'm going under Force Awakens.

If it makes more than Endgame and Avatar 1, I will make Jim James Jimbo Cama-ron, my personal Lord and Savior. 

If it makes more than Endgame and avatar 1 wouldn't that easily top TFA ?🤷

2 hours ago, Reddroast said:

I have it penciled in for 1.5-1.85 billion WW and I'm a Doubter. It's insane

yeah 1.5 billion is 100% "doubter" numbers, the sequel to the biggest movie of all time making TGM numbers ww would be pathetic 

• Like 3

Imax CEO Bets Big On ‘Avatar: The Way of Water’ China Box Office Prospects

Richard Gelfond told an investors conference James Cameron's long-awaited sequel has reached "one of the highest pre-sale levels we’ve ever seen" ahead of its Dec. 16 global release.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/imax-avatar-the-way-of-water-chinas-box-office-1235271424/

Imax CEO Richard Gelfond predicts big box office in China and elsewhere worldwide for James Cameron’s long-awaited sequel Avatar: The Way of the Water. 

“Avatar and Imax share a synergy, a DNA,” Gelfond told the Wells Fargo TMT Summit conference during a session on Tuesday. He recalled Imax in 2010 having 250 theaters worldwide at the time and his company pulled in around $250 million in box office for the original Avatar movie.

The sequel will open on 1,700 Imax screens in 89 countries on Dec. 16. Gelfond said the pre-sale numbers for Avatar can’t be made public yet, but he did add: “It’s one of the highest pre-sale levels we’ve ever seen. So I’m extremely excited about Avatar getting into China.”

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Deuce66 said:

“It’s one of the highest pre-sale levels we’ve ever seen. So I’m extremely excited about Avatar getting into China.”

Must be PR thing as each day more and more cinemas in China are closed, today only 37% are open.

18 minutes ago, adaros said:

Must be PR thing as each day more and more cinemas in China are closed, today only 37% are open.

Definitely not referring to China presale since presale has not started, but it is entirely possible that the presale so far in other markets that opened for IMAX screens is one of the highest, at this stage anyway. I'd be surprised if it is not, since this film would skew IMAX so much. 

Edited by NCsoft
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, NCsoft said:

Definitely not referring to China presale since presale has not started, but it is entirely possible that the presale so far in other markets that opened for IMAX screens is one of the highest, at this stage anyway. I'd be surprised if it is not, since this film would skew IMAX so much. 

what was endgame's ww imax opening?

does avatwo have a shot?

11 hours ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

what was endgame's ww imax opening?

does avatwo have a shot?

I think Asia would need to pick up the slack of some western countries to hit it. Endgame definitely had more show times in IMAX than Avatar has here in the UK for example. Plus it had a midnight launch which added at least one or two extra shows to the weekend which Avatar doesn't have.

• Haha 1

It’s been a very, very long time since I’ve logged on here, there’s probably only a few people still on the boards that remember the BOM forum days before this website was created by Shawn.

Anyways hello all from a former active user! Watching Avatar 2’s coming box office run has brought me back.

Avatar was a crazy behemoth at the box office that only 1 or 2 people predicted correctly. It broke every box office rule we knew for months. Still remember locally months later it was selling out shows. I watched it 10 times in theaters. Most people who watched it went multiple times. I can’t wait to relive this experience again in theaters and in real life and to follow a new chapter in the Avatar universe at the box office.

Edited by Mattrek
  • Like 9
  • Astonished 1

1 hour ago, Mattrek said:

It’s been a very, very long time since I’ve logged on here, there’s probably only a few people still on the boards that remember the BOM forum days before this website was created by Shawn.

Anyways hello all from a former active user! Watching Avatar 2’s coming box office run has brought me back.

Avatar was a crazy behemoth at the box office that only 1 or 2 people predicted correctly. It broke every box office rule we knew for months. Still remember locally months later it was selling out shows. I watched it 10 times in theaters. Most people who watched it went multiple times. I can’t wait to relive this experience again in theaters and in real life and to follow a new chapter in the Avatar universe at the box office.

(if one will pardon "crossing the [franchise] streams" here)

Edited by Porthos

On 11/23/2022 at 7:34 PM, Deuce66 said:

Let's assume Way of Water costs $300 million + $200 million for worldwide marketing. 

Total cost = $500 million 

Cost of production is $500M or so. Including interest, overhead and marketing, total cost are around $1B. 

That still doesn't mean it will need $2B. $1.2B would be enough for breaking even with non-theatrical revenue considered.

Cameron gotta deserve couple of hundreds of millions for this. So participants gotta be very high.

Edited by charlie Jatinder
  • Like 1