Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

15 minutes ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

The first movie was a pretty amazing theater experience, but to me it was just another great movie, my "disney-will-cancel-the-mcu-in-shame"-tier expectations (which seems like they werent met) came from other factors that didnt really have to do much with the first movie; 13 years, cameron interviews, the /tv/ guy, the sheer magnitude of the whole undertaking, the box office potential of avatar but better, how personal it all promised to me, etc

Heres why I began dooming as soon as I saw the first reactions; for a lot of people, not including me, but including my dad (probably his favorite movie) and some high profile critics, avatar 1 was more than just a great movie, it was something really special, in a way personal, and from none of the reactions, even the ones that rave the most, do I get the impression that 2 makes them feel the same

It'll get its BP nom, it'll get its 2 billion, it'll get its fan fiction, but it wont be the new star wars and it wont get 3 billion

Of course its possible that fanboys wars have poisoned the well, and that general audiences adores it, but so far it seem James Cameron could have failed, failed both my expectations and the ones he set for himself (mostly through interviews)

shame because I saw glimmers of hope in the 2nd released trailer ("the way of water connects all things" one)

I will of course begin the avatar 3 shilling campaign shortly (blame Zoe Zaldaña for that)

disclaimer: I am under the assumption that reactions and their relationship with both the final critical consensus and the opinion of audiences will be similar that of other movies

E16556C9-201D-44AD-B5CD-06BA2E9E6148.jpe

thats the most damming review to me

Don't get me wrong but you are dooming yourself hard that movie is failure based on what you read from random people you don't even know. How about instead of absorbing hundreds of reactions wait for release and see it for yourself and then have your own real opinion. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Nikostar said:

A lot of people have criticized the story and pacing based on reactions.

I've seen much more praise than criticism for the story. As documented, even the critics cited by Metacritic were mostly positive about the story and characters. 

9 minutes ago, NCsoft said:

Agreed, not seeing any reason to lower my very high box office expectations from these reactions; the elements that made a Cameron blockbuster hit with the general audiences are clearly all there, perhaps done better than before.

Totally agree with @NCsoft here — the repeated praise of the third act is an especially important takeaway from these reactions.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

stuart360 said:

>I think 2bil is already locked bud, even if the RT score ended up int he 40's or 50's (and it wont).

>The question is if it can get to 3bil and become the biggest of all time.

yeah, but thats just meeting basic expectations, ive seen very little that would indicate it surpasses the expectations of those already hyped for it

Hitting 3bil and becoming the biggest film of all time is 'meeting basic expectations'?, not in 2022 it isnt.

Unless you were talking about the 2bil, on that i agree.

dbc44pzkle4a1.jpg

A while ago Cameron said "Basically, if you loved the first movie, you're gonna love these movies, and if you hated it, you're probably gonna hate these. If you loved it at the time, and you said later you hated it, you're probably gonna love these."

I think he was pretty on the money

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, adaros said:

Don't get me wrong but you are dooming yourself hard that movie is failure based on what you read from random people you don't even know. How about instead of absorbing hundreds of reactions wait for release and see it for yourself and then have your own real opinion. 

I refuse (dooming is fun)

and though of course im exagerating a bit, I say avatar 2 being just great, constitutes a failure since it probably cost us 2-3 cameron films

• Knock It Off 1

3 minutes ago, stuart360 said:

Hitting 3bil and becoming the biggest film of all time is 'meeting basic expectations'?, not in 2022 it isnt.

Unless you were talking about the 2bil, on that i agree.

yeah I was talking about 2 bil

• Thanks 1

Just now, interiorgatordecorator said:

and though of course im exagerating a bit, I say avatar 2 being just great, constitutes a failure since it probably cost us 2-3 cameron films

That's good fren, thought you are getting depressed by that. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, FilmFincher said:

dbc44pzkle4a1.jpg

A while ago Cameron said "Basically, if you loved the first movie, you're gonna love these movies, and if you hated it, you're probably gonna hate these. If you loved it at the time, and you said later you hated it, you're probably gonna love these."

I think he was pretty on the money

This quote is probably the reason i'm feeling very good right now and a few ppl in here seem to be freaking out. Everything is within calculations so far, these reactions are great

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

"just great"

It's supposedly better than the first movie... which was more than great

3 minutes ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

We would all of loved the film to get near unanimous praise, like Top Gun got, but that was never going to happen with AVATAR. Just too many agenda's against it, too many people against it.

2 minutes ago, stuart360 said:

We would all of loved the film to get near unanimous praise, like Top Gun got, but that was never going to happen with AVATAR. Just too many agenda's against it, too many people against it.

Eh, agendas is a strange thing to blame when the first film had some mixed and negatives in there too. Cameron can be cheesy at times and that doesn't work with everyone. Shouldn't be a problem as long as it works for you.

I expected the first film on steroids with better plot and characters, looks like it is exactly what I'm getting so no complaints here.

Edited by JustLurking
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Worth noticing that a LOT of these reactions are not only from critics but also members of awards and associations 

The fact that is getting mostly great reactions from these people are a very good sign 

that was one the things I was wondering and what lead to the disclaimer in my long post; will the usual "reactions exaggerate quality relative to reviews" praxis still apply considering how many different people are seeing it ?

Edited by interiorgatordecorator

2 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

Eh, agendas is a strange thing to blame when the first film had some mixed and negatives in there too. Cameron can be cheesy at times and that doesn't work with everyone. Shouldn't be a problem as long as it works for you.

Well i'm not blaming anything as the film is getting what i expected, mostl;y very positive reviews, with a few dodgy reviews from the cool kids.

I always expected a 80 something RT score, regardless of how good the film is. I just feel with it being AVATAR, it was always going to get some dodgy reviews, and you really only need a handful of those reviews to take a score well under 90.