Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

35 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

That's why I say to temper expectations. All those 3-4 billion WW numbers floating around here was based on the assumptiom that it would get overwhelmingly positive reception by critics and all. 

It has failed to do so for whatever reason.

And honestly, I am not seeing that positivity and excitement needed for this movie to truly breakout big time. I have doubts on is wom and legs as well. 

Won't be shocked if it does considerably less than expectations of certain folks. 

I said 2.5bil from the start, and i have seen nothing yet for me to change my mind.

A lot of critics are praising the film, and a lot of those are saying its a better film than the first.

I still feel this will have great wom overall, and the legs IMO are going to be in the 4-5x range. And its about to have a 500-600mil WW OW, so do the math.

Honestly some people are acting like its just got a 10 RT score or something.

1 hour ago, Danhjpn said:

Question: Is the visual aspect alone can drive people (from kids to grandfather) to the cinema to watch this movie to achieve the best cinematic experience in life?

I'm pretty sure back then, 2009, that is the only reason making the monster legs for Avatar 1. Avatar 1's story and characters are mid/average at best and have been criticized very much. Even for Avatar 2, most of the critics agree that it has better story/plot/character than Avatar 1, and of course all of them (both negative and positive) praised the visual aspect to the high sky. 

How many movies in the top 100 worldwide grossers have a good story or characters? Very few. The vast majority of the movies there made their money because of their action and/or effects. AVATAR is being held to a higher standard than other movies to create a stick to beat it with.

For the longest time this franchise has been labeled as something that doesn't have much of a cultural impact, so I was actually surprised to see OW predictions of at least 150 M when I came back to these forums. I thought they were high. I think this will still be about the legs. It might not be as leggy as the first one, but it will still be leggy especially with the lack of big competition. Avatar had to compete with two 200 M grossers.

14 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

For the longest time this franchise has been labeled as something that doesn't have much of a cultural impact, so I was actually surprised to see OW predictions of at least 150 M when I came back to these forums. I thought they were high. I think this will still be about the legs. It might not be as leggy as the first one, but it will still be leggy especially with the lack of big competition. Avatar had to compete with two 200 M grossers.

I think that the "lack of cultural impact" argument has some validity to it, but I think people misuse it to claim diminishing BO for Avatar 2, when in reality Avatar didn't need to have a substantial cultural impact, because this one is gonna have the same pull as the first one regardless of how pop culture was impacted

• Like 1

I hope I dont wake up tomorrow to the news that james cameron has fucked up on the biggest stage possible 

still in the fog of war, but sime possible hints that audience reactions might simply be pretty good, and not amazing

Edited by interiorgatordecorator
  • Like 1

For balance, here is a very negative review: https://www.thedailybeast.com/obsessed/avatar-the-way-of-water-review-a-bad-big-loud-shiny-mess but once again it's from someone who never liked Avatar. It's also  the most critical review I've seen of the visuals, not just the HFR but saying the Na'vi look bad and bemoaning Jake & Neytiri's "physical unattractiveness."

Edit: Forgot to warn people this review is extremely spoilery.

Edited by danziger

Just came back from the midnight screening (IMAX 3D HFR).

Hmmm...... mixed feelings. For long stretches the movie meanders, i wasn't that into it, to be honest. Last third is pretty lit, though. Need to watch it again, maybe i just wasn't in the right mood, or tired. ;)

Expectedly, it's a feast for the eyes. Amazing stuff especially considering most of it is CGI.

Now i'm going to bed....

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Elessar said:

Hmmm...... mixed feelings. For long stretches the movie meanders, i wasn't that into it, to be honest. Last third is pretty lit, though. Need to watch it again, maybe i just wasn't in the right mood, or tired. ;)

Expectedly, it's a feast for the eyes. Amazing stuff especially considering most of it is CGI.

Now i'm going to bed....

Midnight screening for a movie this length. Wow. I wouldnt do that for even my favorite franchises.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Elessar said:

Now i'm going to bed....

Thanks for the review, hope you have a much better time if you see it again.