Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

We should just stop acting as we're still in 1998 or 2009 and Titanic and Avatar weren't two original or not sequel movies.

Avatar 2 is higly frontloaded as every sequel. Cameron made these long legs thing two times not 45 times and with two original movies. 

200-220M first weekend. 600-650 final a chance.

135M first weekend 500-550 final. 

And in the actual scenario this means still great legs because of A cinemascore, Christmas bla bla bla. Or with 135M opening nowdays you came for 350-400 total.

Edited by vale9001
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, vale9001 said:

We should just stop acting as we're still in 1998 or 2009 and Titanic and Avatar weren't two original or not sequel movies.

Avatar 2 is higly frontloaded as every sequel. Cameron made these long legs thing two times not 45 times and with two original movies. 

200-220M first weekend. 600-650 final a chance.

135M first weekend 500-550 final. 

And in the actual scenario this means still great legs because of A cinemascore, Christmas bla bla bla. Or with 135M opening nowdays you came for 350-400 total.

At least 4 times and with 2 sequels

T2 and Aliens both had exceptional legs relative to other sequels and for the time period

10 hours ago, Mr Roark said:

Frankly, it’s not surprising that a country like the US is gonna like movies with homemade superheroes filled with patriotic and nostalgic vibes more than a movie that’s basically about how Western culture won’t stop destroying the nature and subdue innocent minorities…

Not trying to start any fanboy bullshit here but making an observation:  Its interesting how the blatant MIC/recruitment ad/rah rah American exceptionalist propaganda movie(TGM) is going to trounce the environmentalist anti-western/colonial/imperialist movie at the BO, at least domestically.

• Like 2

On 12/21/2022 at 4:54 PM, cookieleeann said:

I don't understand the criticism about the story being paper thin. I mean yes Jim obviously wanted to show off the VFX & it's a cinematic achievement but I actually liked the story in this one better than the first. I also think this one has a more memorable character arc than the first one. I don't think this film will be forgotten for it's characters like some people think. Everyone was just much more compelling to me here, the kids, the Sully's as a whole, the new tribe, etc.  

I was expecting to go into this being disappointed by the story just based on some reviews and I came out the theater very pleased with what I saw.

I agree. As someone that wasn't looking forward to Avatar becoming a franchise after the first movie, the 2nd one did wonders for me to the point where I'm looking forward to the next movies. The story was pretty simple but the character arcs and the Sully family dynamics were pretty effective. Lo'ak and especially Kiri are characters that I'm excited to see where they go next. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Ozymandias said:

Not trying to start any fanboy bullshit here but making an observation:  Its interesting how the blatant MIC/recruitment ad/rah rah American exceptionalist propaganda movie(TGM) is going to trounce the environmentalist anti-western/colonial/imperialist movie at the BO, at least domestically.

I maintain that a large part of TGM’s success can be attributed to a yearning for “the good old days” on the part of boomers and Gen X people. TGM is basically comfort food, while TWoW is a reminder of how much humanity sucks. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Ozymandias said:

I don't remember where I saw it, it's been a few years, but I know there was something that showed anti-war movies were bombs and pro-war movies were successful.  

Because America!

17 minutes ago, Deep Wang said:

I don't remember where I saw it, it's been a few years, but I know there was something that showed anti-war movies were bombs and pro-war movies were successful.  

Because America!

Because I'm me:

Can get more than a little blurry though.  RotJ isn't exactly subtle with its Vietnam parallels.  Then again, one of the reasons RotJ was viewed more harshly was because of the Ewoks.  Entire prequel trilogy is even less subtle in its politics, and the backlash was more explicit there.  Though, again, gets complicated quickly due to personal opinions of the actual qualities of the films.

Still, The Phantom Menace, no matter what one thinks of it or its potential ceiling at the time, made bank, so...  As I said, "complicated".

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1

thought it was bs at first considering the source, but if 2 and 3 were initially one script then I guess I can see how a rough cut of the 2 and 3 together could be 9 hours long (I know thats not exactly what theyre saying but it makes sense to me)

Edited by interiorgatordecorator