Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

24 minutes ago, PenguinXXR said:

Price increases beat all records eventually.

Yep — that, and market expansion, although we seem to have hit peak market expansion over the past decade or so, whereas ticket prices increases were more modest (only +23% over a whole decade, from the domestic Q4 2009 average of $7.61 to the Q4 2019 average of $9.37).

That now seems to be reversing, in that it appears that ticket price growth will now be the main driving force behind unadjusted gross inflation, with market expansion taking a backseat.

Edited by hw64

10 minutes ago, BruiseCruise said:

titanic worldwide

Oh I think that can fall, though it will be difficult. @charlie Jatinder Did some calculations a while back that put Titanic at roughly ~410M worldwide ticket sales while Endgame had around ~380-390M. So another Endgame level event (perhaps even Avatar 2) could possibly achieve it. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, BruiseCruise said:

titanic worldwide

Market expansion will do away with it, unfortunately. It's probably extremely unlikely that any movie in the rest our lifetimes will ever have as big a box office run as Titanic had, but in terms of ticket sales, there's now hundreds of millions more ticket sale potential for a movie globally than there was in 1997 due to massive expansion in markets like China, Russia, South Korea, Brazil, Mexico, India, Indonesia, etc., which, as is the case for unadjusted records, makes Titanic's global ticket sales record a potential target for a less successful film. The fact that no movie has touched the record despite nearly 25 years of global box office market growth is only a testament to how fucking huge Titanic was.

And if Titanic's ticket sales record has to fall purely due to the effects of market expansion, and not because we get another Titanic-tier box office run, then it would be fitting if Avatar 2 were the first movie to do it (and I'm kinda betting that it will, assuming China). The lack of Russia as a market hurts its chances at that a little, but perhaps it gets a release there a few years down the road.

Edited by hw64
  • Like 1

Is China going to screw with the release date at all? I would think no way since they love it but they loved End Game and China has basically banned Marvel what feels like forever.

Without China it does less than NWH.

35 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

Is China going to screw with the release date at all? I would think no way since they love it but they loved End Game and China has basically banned Marvel what feels like forever.

China Film Group may invest the movie. They will treat it gently if that happen.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Porthos said:

You know, a thought just struck me.

For a film that completed principal photography ages ago and has been in the hands of vfx shop(s) for gawd knows how long, there has been a… curious silence from the scooper/leaks community.  At least as far as I know.  Just took a super quick glance and I didn’t see much of anything out there.

It’s refreshing to see, but I do wonder if there are second order implications here.  The first, and obvious, layer of implications is that Jim and co are running an incredibly tight ship, which is nothing short of miraculous given the lead time, even with draconian NDAs.  The second layer is that the scooper bros and gals out there aren’t furiously digging for dish/making stuff up, which is… 

Well, on the one hand, they’re all busy with Marvel/DC/SW/whatever intrigues, but it does show a lack of curiosity on their part, I would think.  Does mean that Jim and Disney will have a freer hand to shape the rollout of this film.  But kinda wonder when the hype machine from the scooper community is gonna get turned on, or if it will at all.

Not that I think this film will need it to be successful.  Just struck me as a little odd, is all, and wanted to point it out.

The scoop community was pretty active with this around 2010-2015 when there was a lot of "in the process of developing the first-draft script" pieces, and a lot of the high-level info like its underwater setting came out around then. When the project stalled I can imagine reader interest in hearsay pieces faded, and I think many people still are just not gonna buy it's actually coming out until the first trailer is released.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, cdsacken said:

Its making more than NWH, even without China. This will be an event for theatres whereas NWH, as fun as it is will be just as entertaining watching at home. Comic book movies will always have a limit, something Avatar wont have

• Like 2

23 hours ago, AniNate said:

The scoop community was pretty active with this around 2010-2015 when there was a lot of "in the process of developing the first-draft script" pieces, and a lot of the high-level info like its underwater setting came out around then. When the project stalled I can imagine reader interest in hearsay pieces faded, and I think many people still are just not gonna buy it's actually coming out until the first trailer is released.

Nothing ever "stalled" on these Avatar films...it was always being worked on.  

46 minutes ago, Macleod said:

Nothing ever "stalled" on these Avatar films...it was always being worked on.  

Either way the release date kept getting pushed back. I don't think they were targeting a 2022 release for a sequel when they originally got the greenlight (granted the last two years were out of their hands).

15 hours ago, Tarintino said:

Its making more than NWH, even without China. This will be an event for theatres whereas NWH, as fun as it is will be just as entertaining watching at home. Comic book movies will always have a limit, something Avatar wont have

Yeah when Marvel wins they just re-release Avatar.

48 minutes ago, BruiseCruise said:

Endgame was re-released with special features just to beat avatar in the first place

They just added some extra scenes. It wasn't re-released.

Either way Marvel beat Avatar so pretending Avatar is infinite while Marvel is limited makes no sense.

Maybe if Marvel peaked at Avengers 1 like some here predicted then maybe.

3 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

They just added some extra scenes. It wasn't re-released.

Either way Marvel beat Avatar so pretending Avatar is infinite while Marvel is limited makes no sense.

Maybe if Marvel peaked at Avengers 1 like some here predicted then maybe.

he specifically mentioned nwh not avengers and so you admit the original avengers endgame wasn't enough to beat avatar so they added new content to get people to come back again.