Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

The biggest movie ever made and NOBODY EVER TALKS ABOUT IT. ZERO CULTURAL IMPACT.

It just depends on where you look. If you are looking for geek fandom, I don't think Avatar is that type of film. It's audience is more general movie goer. If you say movie with blue people, people get what you mean.

Cirque du soleil is doing a show inspired by avatar, I wouldn't say it has zero cultural impact. https://www.cirquedusoleil.com/toruk

• Like 2

I understand the zero cultural impact argument since it s kinda true in geekdom, fandom but the movie had a very wide appeal.

And it won t prevent Cameron to deliver great movies so I am not worried.

So, I guess we can now add TA2 to the list of sequels to movies that made more than $600m adjusted where the sequel was considered a disappointment either critically or commercially. It joins ESB (yes, many considered it inferior to ANH when it first came out), Jaws 2, The Exorcist II, JP: TLW, IJ&TOD, The Godfather Part II (not a critical disappointment, but made less than half the first), Grease 2 and TDKR.

So basically if more than 70 million people saw your first movie, the higher expectations are gonna fuck up the reception for the second. Will Cameron join the club?  :stirthepot:

Edited by Darth Homer

So, I guess we can now add TA2 to the list of sequels to movies that made more than $600m adjusted where the sequel was considered a disappointment either critically or commercially. It joins ESB (yes, many considered it inferior to ANH when it first came out), Jaws 2, The Exorcist II, JP: TLW, IJ&TOD, The Godfather Part II (not a critical disappointment, but made less than half the first), Grease 2 and TDKR.

So basically if more than 70 million people saw your first movie, the higher expectations are gonna fuck up the reception for the second. Will Cameron join the club?  :stirthepot:

Will the real sequel master please stand up.

Fortunately for Avatar, it doesn't have the kind of monumental opening weekend expectations to live up to that Avengers did. Once again legs are going to be the key.

Yep that's what i said in the TA2 OW. Its success will rely much less on a mega opening that TA2 does. Relatively low hype sometimes is a good thing.

Still remember an article on Entertainment Weekly after the ow of the movie saying it was kind of disapointing for such a supposed event movie yaddi yadda ...

Then the second week end happenned ...

I'm surprised at some people's insistence that Avatar 2 will reach the heights of the original. Blind faith, i guess. They will learn the hard way. I have been saying for ages that it'll drop, long before AOU. Sequels to phenomenons always drop and Avatar was a phenomenon everywhere, unlike Avengers. China might soften the drop but it'll drop. There's no way they can catch that lightning in a bottle again, no matter how good the sequels are, the novelty is gone. Before anyone mentions Cameron's feat of making the biggest movie ever twice, that's different. Titanic 2 would have dropped as well.

There couldn't be a sequel even if they wanted one. The ship sunk.

It always makes me laugh when people say "no one talks about AVATAR", well how do you know?, and no one talks about AVATAR on forums like this?, well its not a geek/nerd film like superhero movie for example.

Plus its just one film, no decades of comics behind it, no tv show, no cartoon, no lore etc, its just one film. Even the die hard fans on AVATAR forums will be struggling to find something to talk about.

People said the same when it finished its box office run "no one cares about AVATAR and its Blu-Ray sales will show it", well yeah the biggest selling Blu-ray of all time showed that for sure (Frozen has now sold more though).

This is not a geek style film, it won't have a record breaking opening (150mil would be amazing for this), what it will have is legs and universal appeal, just like the first film.

• Like 3

Cameron can write populist scripts. I wouldn't doubt A2's legs for a moment.

The more pressing question is how many people are going to be burnt out on 3D. If the answer is 'a lot', then they'll need some new kind of technological progression that piques everyone's curiosity. Or just pretend they have in marketing (what's the difference).

There was talk of the sequels venturing underwater, which sounds potentially immersive and makes me intrigued. But if it's just returning to the same forest world of Pandora with the same archetypal characters then count me - and I suspect quite a few others - out.

Cameron can write populist scripts. I wouldn't doubt A2's legs for a moment.

The more pressing question is how many people are going to be burnt out on 3D. If the answer is 'a lot', then they'll need some new kind of technological progression that piques everyone's curiosity. Or just pretend they have in marketing (what's the difference).

There was talk of the sequels venturing underwater, which sounds potentially immersive and makes me intrigued. But if it's just returning to the same forest world of Pandora with the same archetypal characters then count me - and I suspect quite a few others - out.

Terminator 2, ALIENS............er Piranha 2 :wub:

Cameron knows how to make sequels, he will be 'fucking eyeballs' all over again with this.

This will drop BIG domestic. You cant go back to the same thing. For JC to have same impact with another movie he needs to make another original movie.

Of course Avatar will make tons of money globally. It has potential to grow in Asia/Latin America. But drop big in developed markets( Domestic, Europe, Australia etc).

Terminator 2, ALIENS............

... all had far better protagonists and antagonists than anything we saw in the first Avatar.

Trust me, I'm an optimist compared to many on this thread, but I don't think Cameron has left himself much to work with character-wise. The sequels need another unique setting, and I hope those underwater rumors are true.