grim22

Barbie | July 21, 2023 | Warner Bros | Margot Robbie is Barbie. Ryan Gosling is Ken. | Second most profitable movie of 2023

2 hours ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

That's WB's flex date but I wouldn't drop it there.

Week before at least or Thanksgiving. Are they spiting Nolan or that confident?

They're clearly aiming for counterprogramming. At the moment The Little Mermaid is the only other Summer 2023 release that will be mainly targeting females, and this date means they'll still get summer weekdays and play well through Labor Day weekend. Makes sense given the major sunny vibes coming from the first image. Robbie looks great.

Although it is hilarious they've placed it against the first Nolan joint in eons without any of their involvement though. What a way of sending a message of "we'll be just fine without you."

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

They're clearly aiming for counterprogramming. At the moment The Little Mermaid is the only other Summer 2023 release that will be mainly targeting females, and this date means they'll still get summer weekdays and play well through Labor Day weekend. Makes sense given the major sunny vibes coming from the first image. Robbie looks great.

Although it is hilarious they've placed it against the first Nolan joint in eons without any of their involvement though. What a way of sending a message of "we'll be just fine without you."

Sure but counter programming can work with this movie at any time unless you're sticking it same weekend as a female or family film. I wouldn't do it same weekend as Nolan, even if the female interest rate for that film is .5%. At least a week before or something

It was probably part of Mattel's licensing agreement for this movie (there will certainly be dolls made in Robbie's likeness when it comes out) given that they tried to sue Aqua over the song back in the day. Disappointing but can't say I'm surprised.

Seems like someone on twitter found Margot Robbie's letterboxd. Has a bunch of movies like Truman Show and Demy films in her watchlist for Barbie.

She's also seen Josie and the Pussycats and Spice World (and I had a feeling for ages that had seen those movies), which have the vibe I want with this film.

Edited by lorddemaxus