grim22

Barbie | July 21, 2023 | Warner Bros | Margot Robbie is Barbie. Ryan Gosling is Ken. | Second most profitable movie of 2023

Grace Randolph seems to be hintiing the movie's themes and ideologies are extremely political and if we thought Disney vs Conservatives was badI I personally think it's hilarious), Mattel seems to want to fight conservatives as well.

I mean I'm all for fighting bigotry so maybe this movie is a middle finger to conservative beliefs. If it bombs I'm sure the idiots are gonna be like "THis iS WHaT HaPPEns WHeN YOu gO WOAk!"

Edited by Cappoedameron

Just now, Cappoedameron said:

Grace Randolph seems to be hintiing the movie's themes and ideologies are extremely political and if we though Disney vs Conservatives was bad, Mattel seems to want to fight conservatives as well.

I mean I'm all for fighting bigotry so maybe this movie is a middle finger to conservative beliefs. If it bombs I'm sure the idiots are gonna be like "THis iS WHaT HaPPEns WHeN YOu gO WOAk!"

And if it's a hit they'll claim it was a conspiracy, that they paid folks to see it, etc. Best not to give these fools who wallow in self-pity and wish everyone else was as miserable as they clearly are any attention.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

As someone who didn't like the earlier teasers, this was better than those earlier teasers but I haven't exactly liked the humor in these teaser/trailer so far. Not even sure why they wasted so much time in trailer for that flat foot joke...was awful. The part where Barbie goes to real world looked bit more interesting

33 minutes ago, MrPink said:

Feel like Aqua was sensing how big this was gonna be and changed their mind.

This is way too big to be last minute. Mattel fucking hated that song.

As for the movie itself, it looks good but box office wise I don't see it having too wide appeal.

Edited by SpiderByte

8 minutes ago, Cappoedameron said:

Grace Randolph seems to be hintiing the movie's themes and ideologies are extremely political and if we thought Disney vs Conservatives was badI I personally think it's hilarious), Mattel seems to want to fight conservatives as well.

Yeah but you know actors. They're full of shit. The movie is probably about sending her back to Barbieland to monetize her and the actors are like, "well it has a deep economic and socio political message that holds a mirror to our times and transcends time and space" blah blah blah and Grace is just responding to that. 

Loved it and once again is blowing up on social media 

I do think there will be a dissonance in audience reception tho … young woman and gays overall seems to be loving it a lot, but i don’t think it will hit the same spot for people beyond that since they’re not getting the appeal 

Still think it will do very well but i doubt it will be a phenomenon, seems too specific for that 

6 minutes ago, Flopped said:

Yeah but you know actors. They're full of shit. The movie is probably about sending her back to Barbieland to monetize her and the actors are like, "well it has a deep economic and socio political message that holds a mirror to our times and transcends time and space" blah blah blah and Grace is just responding to that. 

Nah, every time they screened the movie we have tons of reactions saying the movie is indeed very political 

And I honestly doubt Greta and Noah would be on this if it weren’t for the political meta approach 

I just don’t think this will matter, they’re clearly targeting the movie for an audience that wants this post modern irony with social commentaries package into this slightly absurdist tone

I’m sure a lot of straight weird dudes will riot and produce tons of content talking about how it’s woke but they wouldn’t watch a Barbie movie anyway so whatever

• Like 1

Even before the marketing started and while the Internet was having fun with the set pics this seemed like an obvious $30-40M opening/$120-130M total sort of movie, which is solid for a piece of summer counterprogramming amidst all these action franchises. They chose this date knowing it would have clear sailing for a while as the dog days of summer will be fast approaching when this comes out, and the empty nature of August in general this year (the most high profile releases that month are...TMNT, Meg 2, Gran Turismo, Blue Beetle - all wild cards that could go either way) means theaters won't be in any rush to get rid of their holdovers from earlier in the season still hanging around, so all it needs is good reviews/WOM and they have a hit on their hands.

2 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

I do think there will be a dissonance in audience reception tho … young woman and gays overall seems to be loving it a lot, but i don’t think it will hit the same spot for people beyond that since they’re not getting the appeal 

Not sure I like the idea that only those audiences will love it because of the aesthetic. I know plenty of guys and straights (myself included) excited for this lol. Like yeah sure I doubt some 60 yr old guy living in rural Texas will watch this, but they were never going to watch a Barbie movie. Like this appeals to literally any young person living in a big city. Just in terms of male/female split, I doubt this goes much higher than 40/60.

29 minutes ago, Flopped said:

Wrong

14 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Not sure I like the idea that only those audiences will love it because of the aesthetic. I know plenty of guys and straights (myself included) excited for this lol. Like yeah sure I doubt some 60 yr old guy living in rural Texas will watch this, but they were never going to watch a Barbie movie. Like this appeals to literally any young person living in a big city. Just in terms of male/female split, I doubt this goes much higher than 40/60.

I’m not saying only women and gays are loving it, i just said the bigger portion of the hype for this movie is coming from them. But of course there will be straight dudes excited for it as well, there’s nothing offensive on the movie for them, i just don’t see the same type of excitement, this is what i said with “I doubt it will hit the same sweet spot”.

I’m sure women and gays won’t be 90% of the audience, is just that this will skewed way more for them than most movies and the marketing is targeting more on them, just look at the artists on the soundtrack.

Edited by ThomasNicole