grim22

Barbie | July 21, 2023 | Warner Bros | Margot Robbie is Barbie. Ryan Gosling is Ken. | Second most profitable movie of 2023

8 minutes ago, joselowe said:

If the reaction was REALLY that positive why reshoot AFTER those “positive reactions” came out? 

as someone that used to work in the television industry in programming, reshoots are expensive and never a good thing. 

Filmmaking is a complicated process. Sometimes, movies have to undergo a severe bout of reshoots mere weeks before their debut in cinemas, which has led to some films being radically altered just in time for their release. 

While these reshoots are mostly minor adjustments that hardly influence the film’s plot or their characters, some other films have to go through more than a few adjustments to ensure a box-office success — with mixed results.”

https://www.fortressofsolitude.co.za/12-famous-movies-that-underwent-extensive-reshoots/

Re-recording audio (ADR)last minute isn’t an issue and that’s acceptable, many times there are audio issues when filing scenes but reshooting a scene means something completely different.

Every movie have reshoots and pickup shoots, and they are planned in advance and that is included on the budget 

Long reshoots are unusual and shows something is wrong, this didn’t go through long reshoots, it was 3 days, get over it 

11 minutes ago, joselowe said:

If the reaction was REALLY that positive why reshoot AFTER those “positive reactions” came out? 

as someone that used to work in the television industry in programming, reshoots are expensive and never a good thing. 

Filmmaking is a complicated process. Sometimes, movies have to undergo a severe bout of reshoots mere weeks before their debut in cinemas, which has led to some films being radically altered just in time for their release. 

While these reshoots are mostly minor adjustments that hardly influence the film’s plot or their characters, some other films have to go through more than a few adjustments to ensure a box-office success — with mixed results.”

https://www.fortressofsolitude.co.za/12-famous-movies-that-underwent-extensive-reshoots/

Re-recording audio (ADR)last minute isn’t an issue and that’s acceptable, many times there are audio issues when filing scenes but reshooting a scene means something completely different.

yeah reshoot most times are just for technical issues. 

Margot did just one scene again.

Stop selling the idea "warner has reshoot the movie" cause it's false. 

Edited by vale9001

Also i remember people here complaining about elvis being "too crazy" and what audience it can find?. Then it was a big hit even if "not for everyone".

What is the audience of this movie?. Are you asking this in 2023?. People seeing memes of this movie everywere, people reading Barbie in the poster and going to the screen like when they read Super Mario 🤣. As audiences nowadays are that complicated. 

100M + weekend is coming like water just for the hype and huge virality this movie has. 

Edited by vale9001

All this "who is this movie FOR?!" handwringing is genuinely confusing me. No one should be surprised in the slightest that the final trailer landed right in time to be attached with The Little Mermaid this weekend (being a PG rated Disney movie means studios have to be selective about what movies they want promoted in front of them).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cappoedameron said:

Yeah seems like they're definitely going the more meta/mature route which will probably scare off the kids and families for sure. 

Yeah one of the reviews I read seemed exact like the industry WOM I heard ahead of time about the themes.

I was at the Barbie family screening in LA yesterday.  It was for kids 9-14. I took my 11-year-old nephew. I wasn't a huge fan of the film, and my nephew didn't like it at all. It was just a strange film, and I left not really knowing who the film was really for.

”It is pretty much the film that everyone expected Greta to make. I hate the word “woke”, but it will be thrown around a lot during the release of this film.”

The whole film felt very disjointed, and the pacing was off. As I said, there is some of the meta-commentary that I thought was clever, but most of the insights were obvious and expected, and I just didn't think the film and set pieces were funny enough. I can see this having more of a cult following down the line or some ride-or-die fans, but I think most audiences will reject it. Funny enough, the thing that this film reminded me the most of was “Speed Racer”. Obviously a completely different tone and story, but a subversive take on IP that some people think is genius but was rejected by audiences. If I had to make a guess based on the cut I saw, the movie will make $50-65 million domestically, maybe less, depending on marketing and reviews.”

https://www.worldofreel.com/blog/2023/5/zht6swtu1idu3wb758w3jbgyvf28sw

4 minutes ago, excel1 said:

"Who is this movie targeting?!"

...Who did AUSTIN POWERS target? 

Younger comedy fans in the 90s and fans of old school spy movies that it was satirizing. Also Austin Powers wasn’t based on a kids doll brand so I don’t see the comparison?

2 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

Also i remember people here complaining about elvis being "too crazy" and what audience it can find?. Then it was a big hit even if "not for everyone".

What is the audience of this movie?. Are you asking this in 2023?. People seeing memes of this movie everywere, people reading Barbie in the poster and going to the screen like when they read Super Mario 🤣. As audience nowadays are that complicated. 

100M + weekend is coming like water just for the hype and huge virality this movie has. 

Baz’s style played into the hype that Elvis gave off when he was at his peak, so the film managed to keep the older crowd that grew up with him while attracting a new and younger audience. Mario did something similar, which is why the approach that Barbie us taking towards wanting to appeal to both people who love and hate Barbie is odd. Also, memes do not equal success. 

i want to clarify again: normal people don't say after a screening things like "this movie was a woke disaster".

If it's true people  using this kind of language we well know can say something like that just  cause there is "a black and an asian barbie". So who cares?. They're fuming about the little mermaid right now, still making money. 

Edited by vale9001
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, AMC Theaters Enjoyer said:

Younger comedy fans in the 90s and fans of old school spy movies that it was satirizing. Also Austin Powers wasn’t based on a kids doll brand so I don’t see the comparison?

Baz’s style played into the hype that Elvis gave off when he was at his peak, so the film managed to keep the older crowd that grew up with him while attracting a new and younger audience. Mario did something similar, which is why the approach that Barbie us taking towards wanting to appeal to both people who love and hate Barbie is odd. Also, memes do not equal success. 

it's 2023, memes + famous brands equal success. Sad or not. 

I’m male and never played with a Barbie doll, and yet that is a great trailer. Feels more like the target audience is “people who want to laugh”, so I don’t know why we’re even questioning it. It’s a self aware comedy.

That said, I feel like kids won’t like it at all, definitely feels squarely aimed at teens and adults. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Where the crawdads sing has the highest female turnup % at 74% last summer. I guess Barbie will hit that mark with bigger gross. If WB play the game right and the movie is at least decent, Barbie could be the biggest cinematic event for female in post-pandemic era. 

Zero chance of that happening. BARBIE has a much universal appeal. Of course, huge female crowd will show up, but I wouldn't box it into "just a female" film. They nailed the marketing so far. So may this continue.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

All this "who is this movie FOR?!" handwringing is genuinely confusing me. 

me too. Even in the previous iteration before Greta this was supposed to be an Amy Schumer vehicle, and that one I bet wasn't aimed at pree-teens that still play with barbies. Mattel's angle from the start was to make it for people who are nostalgic about Barbie but also have a more cynical view of what it represents.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, AMC Theaters Enjoyer said:

Barbie doesn't need to be based on 1960s spy satire to appeal to the same audience as Powers. Barbie is a high concept comedy satire ala Austin Power, Anchorman, etc - it's the same audience. 

• Like 1