Films

The Walk | Zemeckis, Joseph Gordon-Levitt | Sep. 30, 2015 in IMAX 3D | Wide Release on Oct. 9

Hmm.

The whole terrible accent and painfully awkward narration, the movie was bordering on self-parody thanks to Levitt.

I actually really liked the tone and think it really worked for this film because of the character. Philipe Petit had a very flowery and exaggerated style of speaking and I think JGL nailed that. I see why the narration can maybe considered cheesy by some, but I really did think that the spirited and whimsical tone was appropriate to this story which both celebrated artistry and depicted a fantastical way of life.

Hmm.

The whole terrible accent and painfully awkward narration, the movie was bordering on self-parody thanks to Levitt.

He wasn't doing a French accent though, he was doing Philippe Petit's accent, and watching "Man on Wire" immediately after The Walk, JGL pretty much nailed that weird accent that Petit had. The narration should have just cut out once Petit gets on the wire though, everything after that point was just superfluous.

Just realised I didn't put anything about this last night. Loved it, I agree with the sentiments about the 3D, really needs to be seen on the biggest screen possible. Personally doing the scenes when he was up on the wire terrifying, because with the mix of 3D, IMAX and a fear of heights it made for some seriously effective work.

Edited by Schumacher FTW
  • Like 1

The narration hurts it severely (to the point where I breathed a sigh of relief every time he shut the fuck up for a minute), and there's no way it needs to be two hours long, but yeah, I'd say it has the greatest native 3D photography in any mainstream film so far. A film of contradictions, but it deserves to be seen for that alone. If you're even a tiny bit interested in it, do NOT wait for home video. 

• Like 2

I'm definitely never having the chance to see it in IMAX. My only options are to drive (or convince my parents to drive me) 2 hours to see it in a regular theatre 3D or wait until its On Demand.

The nearest cinema to you is 2 hours away?  :blink:

The narration hurts it severely (to the point where I breathed a sigh of relief every time he shut the fuck up for a minute), and there's no way it needs to be two hours long, but yeah, I'd say it has the greatest native 3D photography in any mainstream film so far. A film of contradictions, but it deserves to be seen for that alone. If you're even a tiny bit interested in it, do NOT wait for home video.

It was actually converted - the technology has come a LONG way.

• Like 1

Was it? I checked the Wiki pages for both 3D and IMAX releases, neither specifies that it was shot in 2D.

I was surprised as well. I will try to find the clip later, but Zemeckis said at one of The Walk panels that when doing live action 3D "conversion is the only way to go" and added "except if you are doing water and then you shoot those elements separately." I've seen both amazing and horrible conversions and both amazing and horrible native 3D. It is more about conceiving, planning, shooting, and constructing shots with 3D in mind imo.

I can't wait until people see The Walk for the first time on dvd and go "What's the big deal?". That's the problem with these must see on the big screen movies like Gravity and The Walk. They just don't hold up. :P

Do you see people seeing The Empire Strikes Back and going "What's the big deal"?

I can't wait until people see The Walk for the first time on dvd and go "What's the big deal?". That's the problem with these must see on the big screen movies like Gravity and The Walk. They just don't hold up. :P

Do you see people seeing The Empire Strikes Back and going "What's the big deal"?

They're meant to be seen on the big screen in 3D. That doesn't make them bad movies. It's the same thing as saying "well, without sound it's not very good." 

Edited by tonytr87

I have mostly overcome my fear of heights... but the trailer was already not a pleasant experience. 

Never understood people who didn't want to watch movies such as Harry Potter or LotR becaus eof their fear of snakes and spiders... but I do get it now. Even though I am generally interested, I really do not want to watch it for the height-reason.

You're going to use The Empire Strikes Back as an example? 

Star Wars had one good movie. 

That's the problem with assholes, each one of them has an opinion, oh wait. 

This tit for tat bullshit that goes around should just stop. Whatever example you bring up, can be refuted by someone else. There's also nothing connecting any of those movies you mentioned. 

Anyway, only saw the post because I was not logged in. Carry on.