A Marvel Fanboy

The Disney Thread | Happy 90th to Donald Duck!

8 minutes ago, Sckathian said:

There’s literally zero point breaking streaming into domestic and non-domestic. It’s not like movies where you get a different cut. You are the platform holder, D+ is struggling here.

Disney Plus, StarzPlay, HBO Max, Peacock, and Discovery+ are very different apps internationally. 

Only Prime Video, Paramount, and Netflix have a degree of parity with their US counterparts.

Edited by AJG

merchandising drop is due to recent bad publicity on Florida end? Any disney related post on fintwit side I am seeing "Go Woke Go Broke" posts to make it super annoying. They cannot even stay quiet and ignore at this point. I wonder what will happen to the legal fight with Desatan. I will become a Disney Stan if they can win against that POS. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

merchandising drop is due to recent bad publicity on Florida end? Any disney related post on fintwit side I am seeing "Go Woke Go Broke" posts to make it super annoying. They cannot even stay quiet and ignore at this point. I wonder what will happen to the legal fight with Desatan. I will become a Disney Stan if they can win against that POS. 

There were no major pushes with their big key franchises: Star Wars, Spider-Man, Frozen and Avengers.

The new $70 Star Wars game hasn't been taken into account. They have a new $70 Spider-Man game coming up, and a  new Spider-Man movie with 75 different Spider-Men.

I don't think that many people are really bothered about a land dispute in Florida.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, AJG said:

There were no major pushes with their big key franchises: Star Wars, Spider-Man, Frozen and Avengers.

The new $70 Star Wars game hasn't been taken into account. They have a new $70 Spider-Man game coming up, and a  new Spider-Man movie with 75 different Spider-Men.

I don't think that many people are really bothered about a land dispute in Florida.

I guess there is little demand for Ant-man or Kang merchandise :-) May be Q2 with Guardians, Mermaid, Elemental, Indy and Spiderverse will help big time. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AJG said:

Kinda curious on how Frozen is still taken into account not because it isn't big (it's huge) but unlike the others it won't really have any major push untill Frozen 3 outside of the typical holiday season unless I'm missing something. Also does they mean the MCU overall when quoting Avengers? 

1 minute ago, keysersoze123 said:

I guess there is little demand for Ant-man or Kang merchandise 🙂 May be Q2 with Guardians, Mermaid, Elemental, Indy and Spiderverse will help big time. 

When it comes to Marvel only SpiderMan, Avengers, and occasionally Guardians matter. SpiderMan outsells most Marvel characters combined a couple times over.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Mickiland16 said:

Kinda curious on how Frozen is still taken into account not because it isn't big (it's huge) but unlike the others it won't really have any major push untill Frozen 3 outside of the typical holiday season unless I'm missing something. Also does they mean the MCU overall when quoting Avengers? 

There’s always a new product line featuring Frozen characters. Think of it closer to a traditional toy franchise, where new products can get launched regularly without a movie or cartoon accompanying it.

As for The Avengers: nobody knows. These people are not transparent when it comes to these breakdowns. WB once counted anything that was just remotely connected to the Batman franchise as “Batman”. I’m sure they’ll be counting sales of Sheldon Coopers T-Shirt under “The Flash”.

young-sheldon-flash-shirt-easter-egg-5x2

• Like 1

Spider-Man merchandise sales are huge, even in years when there isn't any Spider-Man movies, I remember reading that WB wanted to try and close the gap with Batman merchandise sales which I think is one of their top sellers. 

3 hours ago, Sckathian said:

Subscriber loss is expected but they still have no announcements to change that. They continue with their failing Star Wars/Marvel strategy whilst they undermine their kids films. Disney + is not a good offering and has just proven to be an error on their part.

The subscriber loss is due to losing sports rights in India. Saying Star Wars and Marvel are failure is hyperbole, both are huge revenue generator which they're not going to part with anytime soon. 

3 hours ago, AJG said:

Disney Plus, StarzPlay, HBO Max, Peacock, and Discovery+ are very different apps internationally. 

Only Prime Video, Paramount, and Netflix have a degree of parity with their US counterparts.

Heck we don't have hbo max in Canada. 

3 hours ago, dudalb said:

Iger announced that HULU would be merged with Disney + by the end of the year. Comes as no surprise.

That is NOT what was announced.  What was announced is that folks who subscribe to **BOTH** Hulu and D+ will be able to access those services via a single app.  

Disney has *NOT* committed to buying out the Comcast stake yet.  Now this is a major sign that it will, but it hasn't yet done it.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1

D+ loses 4 million subs due to Indian exodus (life somewhat mimics art if you watch succession) 

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2023/may/11/disney-loses-4m-subscribers-amid-exodus-in-indian-market

Incidentally I signed up to it recently - there’s obviously some good stuff on there but fuck me the UI is awful. Easily the worst I’ve used for big uk-available streaming apps.

Edited by Hatebox

Ever since Paramount+ completely blew their chance at a new name by going with "Paramount+ With Showtime", and Warner dropping the ball with "Max", I get the sense Disney are going to completely flub it by ignoring the obviously superior name "Disney+Hulu", by going with something stupid like "Dislu", or "Streamee".

More like Disney Minus with all that shedding.

Its so obvious that they really really dont want to give Comcast all that billions  for their stake of Hulu but I trust Comcast will ensure that they do just that.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Hatebox said:

D+ loses 4 million subs due to Indian exodus (life somewhat mimics art if you watch succession) 

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2023/may/11/disney-loses-4m-subscribers-amid-exodus-in-indian-market

Incidentally I signed up to it recently - there’s obviously some good stuff on there but fuck me the UI is awful. Easily the worst I’ve used for big uk-available streaming apps.

Cue all the idiots who think this is because “GO WOKE GO BROKE!!!”