A Marvel Fanboy

The Disney Thread | Happy 90th to Donald Duck!

I was under the impression Lightyear and Strange World haven't exactly been juggernauts on streaming either, though, yes, maybe they might've done slightly better in theaters pre covid.

In hindsight Turning Red could've been the November release and Strange World could've been bumped to this March if Covid was still a legit concern last year. I'm pretty sure Turning Red would've fared better as a counterprogramming choice.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, kayumanggi said:

I would normally ignore this, but I'm in a bit of a mood today.

I could not disagree with Liam Neeson more than I do.  This is the exact attitude that Disney/Lucasfilm ***NEEDS*** to get away from if it wants a healthy stable franchise centered on good storytelling.

It comes in several flavors, but it's all basically the same thing.

Star Wars needs to be "special".

Star Wars needs to be "epic".

Star Wars needs to be "rare"/"spaced out".

No it fucking doesn't.  Star Wars simply needs to be "good".

Just tell good stories.  If some are more all encompassing than others or more toward the epic end of the scale?  GREAT!

But any attitude that would robs us of something like Andor or The Mandalorian needs to be dismissed out of hand.  By extension any attitude which starts one down the road to TROS is one that perhaps should be re-examined.

(not that I dislike TROS — I personally like it quite a bit — but I also know that its current place in fandom is... controversial)

The idea that Star Wars must be special/epic/whatever is the first step on a series of decisions (especially on the producer end) that lead to all sorts of problematic outcomes, including nearly impossible to meet expectations.  I joke about "hype leads to the Dark Side", but I really do think that excessive hype/expectations is a dangerous place that leads to bad outcomes all too often. 

I would put it as:  Hype leads to Expectations.  Expectations leads to Disappointment.  Disappointment leads to Anger.  Anger leads to suffering.

(say what one will, but that Yoda guy had a way with words)

This is one reason, among a few, which is why I personally wish Lucasfilm would stop being so obsessed with releasing films in December and consider other portions of the calendar.  It's a reason why I personally want Lucasfilm to stop chasing after $250m+ "epic" stories with sky high expectations and just focus on whatever story feels right, be it mid range budget or high.  Not everything needs to be a 250m budget behemoth that if it doesn't clear 1.25b, it's branded Biggest Flop EVAR.

Ultimately, as more than one person has put it, all of this is just demanding that Star Wars make you feel like a six year old kid again.  Well that's easier said than done.  Much much easier.  

I have a lot more I could say about this (and in fact have in the past), but I realize I'm getting kinda ranty today, so I'll leave it aside.  For now.  😉 

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 4
  • Heart 1
  • Thanks 1

Even if it their business strategy has led to stuff like Mandalorian and Andor, ideally Disney would just devote resources to those projects and reallocate the money spent on mediocrities to more interesting and original ones. I know that's easier said than done too, but maybe their whole content slate would stand out more if it were more diverse. I couldn't even really get interested in Andor until long after the fact just because I'm so jaded by the Star Wars onslaught.

What I want to see in general is just a lot more personally conceived projects as opposed to franchise greenlights that appeal to investors. I can't say whether or not that's a better business strategy but it's definitely a better artistic one.

Edited by AniNate

Was looking for something else, but stumbled across this:

Gee, this tune doesn't sound at all familiar to my ears. No siree Bob.  Not in the slightest.

(as always, rumors and gossip and even off-the-cuff comments from folks in production are one thing — it ain't real until the company in question blasts out a PR about it)

((and even then, good chance it never gets made, as seen by things happening at Marvel's sister studio))

Edited by Porthos
  • Haha 2
  • Astonished 1

https://www.thewrap.com/pete-docter-interview-pixar-lightyear-toy-story-5/

“When asked if Aphton Corbin, one of Docter’s key collaborators on “Sou,” and the director of the super charming short film “Twenty Something” (now on Disney+), was working on anything he gave a sly “Maybe.” “She’s playing around and we’ll see,” Docter said. “Once we have news that’s fit to print, you’ll be the first to hear it.””

Its totally going to be a 2026 movie, @Morieris we are not only going to get the first black Pixar director but a sister who can cook.

• Like 3
  • Astonished 1

1 hour ago, YM! said:

https://www.thewrap.com/pete-docter-interview-pixar-lightyear-toy-story-5/

“When asked if Aphton Corbin, one of Docter’s key collaborators on “Sou,” and the director of the super charming short film “Twenty Something” (now on Disney+), was working on anything he gave a sly “Maybe.” “She’s playing around and we’ll see,” Docter said. “Once we have news that’s fit to print, you’ll be the first to hear it.””

It’s totally going to be a 2026 movie, @Morieris we are not only going to get the first black Pixar director but a sister who can cook.

Honestly, thinking the slate will be:

Toy Story 5 - June 2025 - Going to guess this is Fee’s mystery project

Apthon’s Movie - Spring 2026 (Docter hinted her project specifically instead of any other artist)

Domee’s 2nd Film - Summer 2026 (Got a huge feeling Shi will be the Docter of the new artists in that she will be the one making the biggies)

Lester will be 2027, Sullivan and Enrico’s will be 2028. 

• Like 1

I thought Fee's movie was supposed to be an original, if it's even still happening

In any event I hope TS5 isn't until 2026 at least. Want Pixar to at least keep to their promise of an original every year. Trying not to put too much stock in the filmmakers who have rumored projects going as those can get cancelled, but I do hope Sullivan's sees the light of day as hers remains the best Sparkshort imo. Docter only mentioned Corbin because he was specifically asked about her so I'm not sure if it's really that far in the pipeline yet. 

Edited by AniNate

The net Budget of Disney's Star Wars movies and Andor as per Disney

The Force Awakens: $446.6M

Rogue One $232.4M

The Last Jedi $300M

Solo $270.8M

The Rise of Skywalker $416M

Andor $194.8M

Source Forbes

https://www.forbes.com/sites/carolinereid/2023/02/26/star-wars-the-force-awakens-becomes-the-most-expensive-movie-in-history/?sh=66a1283b8053

• Like 2
  • Astonished 2
  • ...wtf 1

57 minutes ago, Willowra said:

The net Budget of Disney's Star Wars movies and Andor as per Disney

The Force Awakens: $446.6M

Rogue One $232.4M

The Last Jedi $300M

Solo $270.8M

The Rise of Skywalker $416M

Andor $194.8M

Source Forbes

https://www.forbes.com/sites/carolinereid/2023/02/26/star-wars-the-force-awakens-becomes-the-most-expensive-movie-in-history/?sh=66a1283b8053

Insanity. Someone at Disney should check Abrams on stealing tons of money if they even care at this point, he's always been a very shady guy.

Also in the article 2 Avengers movies cost 1.2B to make and so one of them have to be the most expensive movie ever made. Considering Titanic cost 200m back in 90s, I am not surprised by these numbers. Very Fx heavy with stars make them very expensive. 

Edited by keysersoze123
  • Like 1

So the question then is: Does New Zealand have similar reporting laws as I personally would expect A2 to blow TFA out of the water, no pun intended, when it comes to the cost formula listed in the article (budget = EVERYTHING spent, including post release).

• Like 1

16 hours ago, excel1 said:

How did the films get so expensive while special effects have largely gotten worse...?

On the whole, special effects are better than ever.  Much much better. It's just that you notice it more when they're rushed/out of place.  

As for TFA, a certain director bought the myth of "practical is better than cgi" and went absolutely nuts on physical sets while running up a huge tab on the virtual side of the ledger.  Even someone more restrained like Rian Johnson had to be reeled in when it came to large expansive physical sets.

As for your shot at cgi, the tech is great currently — so great that production companies feel they can rush a product to the market and it'll still be "acceptable".  Penny wise, pound foolish at its 'finest'.

If vfx houses weren't so massively overworked and if directors/production crews better communicated what the hell they wanted ***AND*** cgi wasn't seen as the Ultimate Get Out of Jail Free Card with the "we'll fix it in post" mentality, then a yuuuuuuuuge amount of the complaints about cgi would disappear. 

• Like 2