A Marvel Fanboy

The Disney Thread | Iger will be with us until 2026

10 minutes ago, John Marston said:

but the studio heads  who make all the bad decisions stay 

Not really , Just takes longer, and they have nice Golden Parachutes the workers do not.

But if a studio loses money or has really low profits over a period of time,, the stockholders and the Board of Directors will rebel, and that is when  Studio execs find themselves "at liberty",

Holllywood has, compared with other industries, a very high rate of executive turnover.

9 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

Bullshit tbh considering Pixar’s whole struggle to be successful in recent years has been stupid execs devaluing the brand and greenlighting crap like Lightyear. They could probably have great box office clout rn with the push WDAS got for movies like Luca and Turning Red. 

I disagree. People complain about high budgets them bemoan layoffs. Pixar is too expensive and need to outsource more of their work. Or die.

Also amazing to see some online still blame Chapek for this.

Edited by Sckathian
  • Like 3

When people complain about high budgets they're typically doing it from a place of simplistic armchair box office analysis, not from thoughtful consideration of where that money actually goes. And studios like Illumination and Sony have much different circumstances that I would prefer Disney not try to emulate unless absolutely necessary.

But if that article is to be believed, the issue was mainly the ramped up production pipeline based on rosy streaming ROI expectations that didn't end up happening. I do think Chapek is definitely to blame for that. Elemental brought some of the studio's cache back but they still probably weren't going to be able to maintain the kind of pace Disney had expected of them, which is further supported by Elio getting delayed to next summer and taking the place of whatever was supposed to be coming out then. That slowing of pace down does sadly mean people getting laid off.

Edited by AniNate

7 hours ago, Sckathian said:

I disagree. People complain about high budgets them bemoan layoffs. Pixar is too expensive and need to outsource more of their work. Or die.

As many have said before, Pixar is not "too expensive". Their budgets encompass the cost of the studio.  It would be like if Disney reported the budget of The Marvels was the cost to run Disney during production.

13 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

This...isn't unprecedented. Star Wars Infinities was basically exactly that idea.

Plus if they wanted classic characters back that'd be an easier way to do them for sure.

I hope they adapt Yoda doing a colony drop on Corusant using the Death Star

• Haha 1
  • Astonished 1

2 hours ago, SpiderByte said:

This...isn't unprecedented. Star Wars Infinities was basically exactly that idea.

Plus if they wanted classic characters back that'd be an easier way to do them for sure.

Sure this is nice but keep on rolling out seasons of Visions

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Sckathian said:

I'd rather they die than start outsourcing work.

5 hours ago, SpiderByte said:

It makes sense. The original cartoons draws were the characters. Star Wars TV is slowly becoming a live action Big Finish and that’s fine by me.

I personally would be interested in What If being a brand for different series though. Like, I don’t care for one offs - give me a limited series.

5 hours ago, Sckathian said:

It makes sense. The original cartoons draws were the characters. Star Wars TV is slowly becoming a live action Big Finish and that’s fine by me.

I personally would be interested in What If being a brand for different series though. Like, I don’t care for one offs - give me a limited series.

I'm assuming thisd be animated like What If is.

19 hours ago, SpiderByte said:

I will be seated for a "What if Padme survived and went into hiding / led the Resistance / or even turned to the dark side herself."

Or 'What if Finn's story arc was allowed to properly be planned and play out on the big screen."

14 minutes ago, Morieris said:

I will be seated for a "What if Padme survived and went into hiding / led the Resistance / or even turned to the dark side herself."

Or 'What if Finn's story arc was allowed to properly be planned and play out on the big screen."

If I was gonna go prequel, original, and sequel, I want the "what if Jar Jar was actually a Sith", "what if Lando stayed a coward and didn't save Leia" and "what if Finn really died a hero"...

Edited by TwoMisfits