CJohn

Kong: Skull Island | March 10, 2017 | Tom Hiddleston, Brie Larson, John Goodman | Crosses 500M WW

The Brachiosaurus stampede down the mountain feels like the scene goes on for 30 minutes...way too bloated of a movie. Also the CGI is very poor. 

I think they ran out of time with the cgi and it should and yes that scene  goes on forever.  That should have been edited down to a couple of minutes and the bug scene should have been tossed.  The NYC scenes could easily be edited though they're the ones I liked the most, most of the monster fight scenes on the island went on too long and would have had more tension and impact if better edited and that entire Jamie Bell subplot should have been tossed.

King Kong was definitely bloated. I'm fine with the Hobbit film sthough

Hobbit was even worse,with all the crap that Jackson pulled out of his butt and added to the Tolkien story.And it stick out like a sore thumb. Almost all that is good about The Hobbit is where Jackson sticks pretty close to Tolkien. It where he "improves" the story that the films goes off the rails big time.

With the Hobbit, Jackson thought he knew better then Tolkien. That is why the Hobbit is so inferior to LOTR.

• Like 1

I think they ran out of time with the cgi and it should and yes that scene goes on forever. That should have been edited down to a couple of minutes and the bug scene should have been tossed. The NYC scenes could easily be edited though they're the ones I liked the most, most of the monster fight scenes on the island went on too long and would have had more tension and impact if better edited and that entire Jamie Bell subplot should have been tossed.

Agreed on the Jamie Bell subplot. Didn't work.

As for the CG in the stampede?

I don't quite agree. Often times, CG doesn't work not because the technical merits aren't there...but because the directorial vision is just too over the top that no amount of technical knownow can make it work. No matter how photorealistic, those people running through the legs was going to look silly.

That's on PJ.

If you want to see an entire film devoted to this idea...see Van Helsing. Some great effects work wasted on some really bad visual design.

And...as much as I can point out KK 2005 flaws...I still really like it.

Edited by kowhite
  • Like 3

Straight Outta Compton' Star Jason Mitchell Lands 'Kong: Skull Island' Role

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/straight-outta-compton-star-jason-817671

Jason Mitchell, the young actor making a breakout with his portrayal of rapper Eazy-E in Straight Outta Compton, is in negotiations to join the cast of Legendary’s Kong: Skull Island.

The move will reunite him with Corey Hawkins, his Compton co-star (he played Dr. Dre) who is already cast in the monster movie. Tom Hiddleston, Brie Larson and Toby Kebbell are also already on the manifest of the ship that takes a crew of explorers to the mysterious, creature-laden isle that is also the home of Kong, the king of the apes.

Insiders say that Mitchell will play an easy going pilot.

Edited by Box Office Hit

http://deadline.com/2015/09/king-kong-godzilla-legendary-monster-movie-warner-bros-1201521004/

In a movie move that portends a clash of giant monsters, Legendary Pictures’ Thomas Tull is moving his untitled Skull Island King Kong film to Warner Bros.

This is being done to unite the property with Legendary’s other giant franchise,
Godzilla. In what would be a pretty epic pairing, the Godzilla sequel that is in the works will be followed by a movie that pits the giant ape versus the giant fire breathing reptile.

I’m told this is happening very quickly with moves going all the way to Japan, where Godzilla rights holder Toho is based. Legendary, which moved from Warner Bros to Universal, had developed the 
Skull Island film at the latter studio. It is unclear at the moment what Universal’s position will be, but I heard the studio move is being done because it is just easier to have all the pieces under one roof, something that Marvel Studios has done with superheroes like The Hulk. King Kongis in the public domain, while Legendary got the Godzilla rights from Toho.

• Like 6

If King Kong is public domain couldn't Legendary just keep the Kong movie at Universal, and just do Kong VS Godzilla over at WB?

All they would have to do is make some changes to King Kong's design, I dont know why Skull Island and Godzilla need to be explicitly linked.

If King Kong is public domain couldn't Legendary just keep the Kong movie at Universal, and just do Kong VS Godzilla over at WB?

All they would have to do is make some changes to King Kong's design, I dont know why Skull Island and Godzilla need to be explicitly linked.

The King Kong rights issue is not as simple as the article makes it out to be, best to merge the 2 movies than risk legal fallout

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_Kong#Legal_rights

• Like 1

This is where the money is at. There hasn't been one shared universe movie that hasn't done incredibly well...unless u want to throw Prometheus in there...even Freddy vs Jason did huge business.

Kong vs Godzilla will be huge.

• Like 1