CaptainJackSparrow

Sonic the Hedgehog | Paramount | Feb 14 2020 | Visionary Auteur Tim Miller to produce | See Sonic's new plastic surgery on page 58

5 hours ago, John Marston said:

this movie is in trouble because it was going to rely on business from Asia, and with the Coronavirus  issues there, it likely can't do what it's full potential was. 

Eh, China, from what I heard really isn’t in to Sonic. And, it’s not really going to do great in Japan or South Korea either. Really, it will have to rely on Latin America (which I hear really loves the character) and Europe.

Despite being made by a Japanese company, Sonic the Hedgehog has never been that popular in the East. He’s a character who was made specifically to be as appealing to a Western audience as possible. That’s why he has the Mickey Mouse gloves, the Michael Jackson shoes, the too cool for school attitude, and an archenemy who looks like Theodore Roosevelt. There’s no reason Paramount should expect this movie to do especially well overseas. 

Edited by WittyUsername
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Despite being made by a Japanese company, Sonic the Hedgehog has never been that popular in the East. He’s a character who was made specifically to be as appealing to a Western audience as possible. That’s why he has the Mickey Mouse gloves, the Michael Jackson shoes, the too cool for school attitude, and an archenemy who looks like Theodore Roosevelt. There’s no reason Paramount should expect this movie to do especially well overseas. 

We’ll see if that’s the case in Latin America and European markets.

4 hours ago, Movies4Life said:

We’ll see if that’s the case in Latin America and European markets.

IIRC the Sega Mega Drive was more popular than the SNES in Europe. 

I dont think that means anything today. This movie looks like "Just 4 Kidz" kinda deal like Trolls, and Dora the Explorer.

2 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

If this movie doesn’t do well, something tells me we’re going to hear a lot of “this movie should’ve taken place on Sonic’s home planet” takes.

Oh I’m not saying it for that reason

I just wanna see Sonic and the other characters interact in their home world with the original soundtrack playing and whatnot. 

25 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I hope it does well so it can introduce characters like Tails and Knuckles in a sequel. You could easily have Metal Sonic as the villain if they didn’t want to reuse Eggman

If they do a sequel, Tails, Knuckles, and Metal Sonic are the way to go. Assuming the movie takes place entirely on Sonic’s world, I suppose they could also bring in Amy, just so they could have a female character in the film. 

I'm going to be honest, I'm more excited to see Jim Carrey doing another hammy performance in this than I am to see the actual movie itself :lol: It's the same situation as with Birds of Prey to be honest: an actor I really like just hamming it up in the villain role is what's got me most excited.