Olive

Weekend Est: 22JUMP 60.0M| HTTYD2 50.0M|Male 19.0M|EOT 16.1M|Fault 15.7M|DOFP 9.5M

But they had to. It takes a long time to produce an animation film. I think marketing was the problem.

It could also be the show. I remember cleaning a 3D theater one day and some kids were telling their parents how they wanted to see HTTYD2, the parents questioned them why because they could just watch it on TV. The kids still wanted to see it regardless but I wonder if that was more than an isolated incident.

Edited by OmegaSupreme

Maleficent got the chunk of the summer first apparently.  #1 of the summer is anyones guess.  Lets see how the politics in the country are during July.  Guardians of the Galaxy and RISE of the Apes may crack 250 each.

GotG??? NoooooooooooApes. Maybe

Terrible but expected for Dragon, I never got why people were hyping it so much.

Because the original was universally beloved and had fantastic legs.

Dreamworks just keeps dropping the ball over and over. And trading Paramount for FOX where they now have to fight for good release dates with Blue Sky isn't helping. They're playing second fiddle to Pixar and Disney again. Hell, Illumination is in a better place right now.

• Like 2

My first thoughts on this are that mom and dad left the kids at home Friday and went to see Jump Street Friday night. They will return with the kids through the summer to see Dragon. I think some of us underestimated just how much of a rush out there would be for 22. People have been excited about this movie and it's been the no.1 choice for many clearly this weekend. As disappointing as the Dragon number is, this is a marathon, not a sprint. There's no film coming for its audience. It's got a nice open field to rake in solid numbers through the rest of the season.

• Like 2

Maleficent got the chunk of the summer first apparently.  #1 of the summer is anyones guess.  Lets see how the politics in the country are during July.  Guardians of the Galaxy and RISE of the Apes may crack 250 each.

As a Marvelite and a whatever Disney fans are called I think there is next to no chance of GotG breaking 250M it looks amazing but CA2 was amazing and established and it had a month to itself and it served a hungry demographic yet it only made 255M.I think TF4 will win the summer :( and THG:MJ1 will win the year :) .predictions for some reasonTHG:MJ1

TF4

CA2

Rise of the Apes

BH6

Dragons 2 may be too scary for younger children maybe..???

i don't think that's it. i can tell you that i've pretty much never seen HTTYD on my tumblr, in comparison to movies like Frozen, Tangled, DM, and even Wreck-It Ralph. despite being an awesome movie for some reason it didn't manage to maintain people's attention afterwards. if i had to guess, it's because the characters aren't that compelling, most of them being two-dimensional, and Hiccup's lack of charisma being pretty much a plot point.

• Like 1