CaptainJackSparrow

Straight Outta Compton | August 14, 2015

Yes, Albany has high gang activity in some parts and in other surrounding cities...I wouldn't play the movie in areas such as this. The town of Colonie was voted one of the safest towns in America a few years back. This could get ugly.

Edited by Bishop54
  • Like 1

What is wrong with Dre and his minions, really ?

On the 1999's Dre album, the word bitch is repeated 784 times ...

Bitch this, bitch that, bitches, motherucking bitch ...

Is there a complex socio cultural subtext in these lyrics that eludes me ?

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 1

The same "complex socio cultural subtext" that enthralls metal bands to say "fuck" 784 times while performing their songs, have you ever listened to Children Of Bodom and Slipknot live? And don't start me on glam metal bands and their progressive views on women portrayed in their songs in the eighties...Axl Rose and Mötley Crüe anyone?

Edited by MADash Rendar
  • Like 2

The same "complex socio cultural subtext" that enthralls metal bands to say "fuck" 784 times while performing their songs, have you ever listened to Children Of Bodom and Slipknot live? And don't start me on glam metal bands and their progressive views on women portrayed in their songs in the eighties...Axl Rose and Mötley Crüe anyone?

I consider Steel Panther to be the equals of Charles Beaudleaire & Arhtur Rimbaud.

Bukkake Tears is a personal favorite among their monumental achievements as songwriters and composers.

Yes, Albany has high gang activity in some parts and in other surrounding cities...I wouldn't play the movie in areas such as this. The town of Colonie was voted one of the safest towns in America a few years back. This could get ugly.

You people are trying your best to have this movie be in the vein of The Dark Knight Rises, Lone Survivor and Train Wreck. That article is egregious. Two people got in a dispute away in the parking lot, but a witness who was in the theater watching Straight Outta Compton at the time said that he did not hear anything. (Yes, that is how the movie gets implicated in the article.) The absurd depths at which people go to propagate an agenda are risible. 

Edited by PenguinHyphy
  • Like 9

You people are trying your best to have this movie be in the vein of The Dark Knight Rises, Lone Survivor and Train Wreck. That article is egregious. Two people got in a dispute away in the parking lot, but a witness who was in the theater watching Straight Outta Compton at the time said that he did not hear anything. (Yes, that is how the movie gets implicated in the article.) The absurd depths at which people go to propagate an agenda are risible. 

No one said it was in the theater. It was in the parking lot, which is compact enough and close to the mall.

I've only seen Eazy E in a few early nwa rap music videos and few news clips, but man did it seem like Jason Mitchell nailed that character. It was definitely way better then Notorious. I'd go as far to say the movie was better then Ray as well. I'm surprised they didn't mention anything about the Dee Barnes thing that happened. Guy that played tupac in the cameo was crazy too. I'd thought Tupac had been resurrected or survived his shooting.

I've only seen Eazy E in a few early nwa rap music videos and few news clips, but man did it seem like Jason Mitchell nailed that character. It was definitely way better then Notorious. I'd go as far to say the movie was better then Ray as well. I'm surprised they didn't mention anything about the Dee Barnes thing that happened. Guy that played tupac in the cameo was crazy too. I'd thought Tupac had been resurrected or survived his shooting.

I only heard about Eazy E through watching an episode of My Super Sweet Sixteen that starred his daughter back when I was in middle school. The guy who played him really did a great job and the writers really fleshed out his character. He needs to be in awards discussion because his performance is the best supporting performance that I have seen so far this year. I have seen Ray in a while, but Straight Outta Compton is certainly better than Walk the Line and that James Brown movie from last year. 

• Like 1

Most of you are too young to remember but when Boyz in the Hood was released it sparked a wave of violence

http://www.apnewsarchive.com/1991/One-Killed-Many-Injured-in-Shootings-at-Boyz-N-the-Hood-Film-Premieres/id-1b952b45eb06e133d9ca982ce11d4c98

Or maybe those places had violence already and the movie premiere highlighted an already existing problem.

I can already see the 'press' praying for a shooting or some violence just so they can continue their 'blacks are violent' rhetoric.

• Like 7

I don't see a problem with what theaters are doing. 

The news  I saw only states "some Los Angeles theaters," not every theater,  and from what I read about Compton, that's not an unreasonable response. Furthermore, if theaters, which are privately owned, elect to have weapons screening at a particular film, as private actors they have every right to do so. If they want to contract to a local law enforcement agency to do that, they have every right to do so. 

If local law enforcement feels that due to the strong connection between the movie's subject and local gangs, that they should be at an increased readiness status, that's only prudent.

The news  I saw only states "some Los Angeles theaters," not every theater,  and from what I read about Compton, that's not an unreasonable response. Furthermore, if theaters, which are privately owned, elect to have weapons screening at a particular film, as private actors they have every right to do so. If they want to contract to a local law enforcement agency to do that, they have every right to do so. 

If local law enforcement feels that due to the strong connection between the movie's subject and local gangs, that they should be at an increased readiness status, that's only prudent.

You are missing the point.

No one has said a theater doesn't have the right to beef up security if they choose to. The issue is the propaganda from the press already emphasizing violence and its connection with the movie.  It's the consistent negative expectations when it comes to anything related with black people. Its a bigger issue and ties directly into the police brutality cases and #blacklivesmatter movement. It's the reason why Sandra Bland's and Tamir Rice's can, and will, still happen. Black = violent in the mainstream media and they are waiting to run the closest related violent act just to carry on that stupid rhetoric.

• Like 9

Dr. Dre, Eazy E and Ice Cube were not even in any gangs. Gangs are only shown twice in the film: once in the beginning with a message about not joining a gang and then united during the LA riots.    

Edited by PenguinHyphy
  • Like 1

Most of you are too young to remember but when Boyz in the Hood was released it sparked a wave of violence

http://www.apnewsarchive.com/1991/One-Killed-Many-Injured-in-Shootings-at-Boyz-N-the-Hood-Film-Premieres/id-1b952b45eb06e133d9ca982ce11d4c98

there was also New Jack City that same year Chicago and Los Angeles were among the place that had the shootings.

Possibly.

Or maybe he had writers block.

• Like 2

The problem with women is not exactly of a bygone era. Interesting how the casting call breakdown for women extras manages to be racist - in 2014.   It's an insult to black women especially dark skinned black women.

SAG OR NON UNION CASTING NOTICE FOR FEMALES-ALL ETHNICITIES- from the late 80's. Shoots on "Straight Outta Compton". Shoot date TBD. We are pulling photos for the director of featured extras. VERY IMPORTANT – You MUST live in the Los Angeles area (Orange County is fine too) to work on this show. DO NOT SUBMIT if you live out of the area. Nobody is going to be flying into LA to do extra work on this show - and don't tell me you are willing to fly in.

SAG OR NON UNION FEMALES - PLEASE SEE BELOW FOR SPECIFIC BREAKDOWN. DO NOT EMAIL IN FOR MORE THAN ONE CATEGORY:

A GIRLS:
These are the hottest of the hottest.
Models.
MUST have real hair - no extensions
, very classy looking, great bodies. You can be black, white, asian, hispanic, mid eastern, or mixed race too. Age 18-30. Please email a current color photo, your name, Union status, height/weight, age, city in which you live and phone number to: SandeAlessiCasting@gmail.com subject line should read: A GIRLS

B GIRLS:
These are fine girls, long natural hair
, really nice bodies. Small waists, nice hips.
You should be light-skinned.
Beyonce is a prototype here. Age 18-30. Please email a current color photo, your name, Union status, height/weight, age, city in which you live and phone number to: SandeAlessiCasting@gmail.com subject line should read: B GIRLS

C GIRLS:
These are African American girls, medium to light skinned with a weave.
Age 18-30. Please email a current color photo, your name, Union status, height/weight, age, city in which you live and phone number to: SandeAlessiCasting@gmail.com subject line should read: C GIRLS

D GIRLS:
These are African American girls. Poor, not in good shape. Medium to dark skin tone.
Character types. Age 18-30. Please email a current color photo, your name, Union status, height/weight, age, city in which you live and phone number to: SandeAlessiCasting@gmail.com subject line should read: D GIRLS