CaptainJackSparrow

Straight Outta Compton | August 14, 2015

Terrific article. I liked the movie immensely but i know its a movie. Im far from an NWA expert but i know enough of their history to know that the movie is sanitized. Too bad. NWA should be brave enough to own up to their transgressions too.

I don't think the film would've made 60M on OW if there was a 20 minute interlude featuring the various assaults on females by Dr. Dre. For starters, the film would be 3 hours long. Maybe there will be deleted scenes on the blu ray? :ph34r:

I don't think the film would've made 60M on OW if there was a 20 minute interlude featuring the various assaults on females by Dr. Dre. For starters, the film would be 3 hours long. Maybe there will be deleted scenes on the blu ray? :ph34r:

Ive skimmed through the movie online. I seriously have no idea where the fuck they would have placed all this.

F Gary Gray did say he has a 3.5 hour cut that features more about "the women in their lives" that he wants to release on blu ray. No idea if it will feature any of the things mentioned in the article (probably not), but I guess it's possible. Either way, it's not like it's surprising aspects like that were left out. Like Eddy said, the movie was already pretty long for mainstream audiences, and when you're the producer of a film, you have the option to possibly leave out some stuff you're not exactly proud of. That's the way a lot of biopics work. Take all "based on a true story" movies with a slight grain of salt that some things may have been altered for various reasons.

I think the Dee Barnes incident could've made a good addition to the plot in terms of a "rags to riches" story arc like Gopher mentioned in the RTM thread. But yeah, Dr. Dre is a producer on this thing so I wasn't expecting that to show up in this film.

Edited by Alpha
  • Like 1

When told that Dr. Dre also executive produced the film, she replied, "Why would Dre put me in it? If they start from where they start from," she added, "I was just a quiet girlfriend who got beat up and told to sit down and shut up."

Michel'le, who's currently in the public eye as one of the stars of TV One's reality series R&B Divas: Los Angeles, detailed the abuse in a recent interview with The Breakfast Club. "When he gave me my very first black eye, we laid in the bed and cried," she said on the morning show. "He was crying and I was crying because I was in shock, hurt and in pain. I don’t know why he was crying, but he said 'I’m really sorry.' That was the only time he ever said he was really sorry. And he said, 'I’ll never hit you in that eye again, okay?'" She said in the interview that he kept that promise, but hit her in other places — "I have scars that are just amazing," she told the show.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/dr-dres-michelle-i-was-816079

• Like 1

i like to think that the public wouldn't support this if they knew of Dre's crimes. I also think that selling headphones is too important to certain people to be put at risk by something as trivial as the truth

i like to think that the public wouldn't support this if they knew of Dre's crimes. I also think that selling headphones is too important to certain people to be put at risk by something as trivial as the truth

You'd think that even if they had touched on his domestic abuse issues people would boycott this movie and his music? Like people stopped buying Chris Brown's shitty music after assaulting Rihanna? The godfather of soul, James Brown, nobody boycotted his biopic Get On Up for this accounted fact. Unfortunately, most fans draw a line between the artist and the man, unless it's a child molester.

Some are even morbidly fascinated and turned on, the "bad boy" syndrome, they'll gloss it as rock star trouble between the bad boy and his "bitchy" GF's as part of the myth. Jimmy Page kidnapped a 14 years girl to abuse her in his limo and force her to be his GF for 3 years despite being underage. Pam Anderson was Tommy Lee's punching ball, the guy is still selling out tours with Motley Crue. John Lennon was a self confessed woman beater and abuser, he didn't stop being idolized and his records (Beatles and solo) still sell millions, I doubt an eventual Lennon biopic would be boycotted by his fans if the matters were to be touched upon. They'll deem the portrait of his darkest aspects as "humanizing". Hell, Eminem is a former wife beater, the guy is still touted the most popular rapper on earth.

Edited by MADash Rendar
  • Like 3

I listened to some music on Beats headphones the other day. The sound quality was truly awful. Dre is a marketing genius.

I got a free pair of Beats Studios from work.

Honestly I think they're pretty good. But then again I love that bass. All my music suits the headphones quite well.

• Like 1

The public did know about this but the reality is they just didn't care about it.

When it happened it got a lot attention but lets face it a lot of people at the time simply did not care about what was going on in the world of Hip hop in 1992 and as far as the Mainstream media was concerned Dre was already seen as a violent thug long before he ever did anything to Dee barns.

In their eyes what Dre did was neither surprising nor did they they think it was worthy of mainstream coverage.            

The Dee barns incident was not some grand secret that Dr Dre has been trying to hide from the public like Bill Cosby. 

Its well known incident that even Dre himself has talked about up over the years ( he recently spoke about it in Rolling Stone)

In the 2000 hit song "Guilty conscious"

Eminem said this to Dre lol

You gonna take advice from somebody who slapped Dee Barnes?

The other issue is that Dre himself has too much of low profile for this to ever really catch on in the Mainstream media

1. He rarely gives interviews and he disappears from the public spotlight for many years after he drops an album.

2. He never had a "Good guy image" that the media could tarnish and Im convinced that Dre is leaving the public spotlight for good after his final album and Straight Outta Compton ( smart move on his part )

Im glad that this issue is being raised but It really does feel like this is 20 years too late

Edited by roxas11
  • Like 4

The public did know about this but the reality is they just didn't care about it.

The way the story was hot yesterday and died today pretty much confirms this.

Everyone and their mother knew this already. Same goes for Mark Whalberg being a racist thug 20 years ago, nobody really cares.

Im glad that this issue is being raised but It really does feel like this is 20 years too late

Exactly.

• Like 1