CaptainJackSparrow

Straight Outta Compton | August 14, 2015

This is currently trending on Twitter. Dunno why. Most tweets are a variant of "Wanna see Straight Outta Compton"

It has been heavily marketed during tonight's RAW. 

This is currently trending on Twitter. Dunno why. Most tweets are a variant of "Wanna see Straight Outta Compton".

Edited, looks likes a screening of the movie somewhere tonight.

it's playing during Love & Hip Hop ATL on VH1

Yeah, the marketing is already pretty much in full swing. This is gonna play like F7 is SoCal as well.

They'll probably never say as much, but I bet Universal wants a $50 million OW.

Why would the think it would come close to that?  Find me another biopic about any musical group that opened anywhere close to that. In fact, I'm willing to bet that no film about musicians has opened to more than about 20 mill.  

• Like 1

Why would the think it would come close to that?  Find me another biopic about any musical group that opened anywhere close to that. In fact, I'm willing to bet that no film about musicians has opened to more than about 20 mill.  

Looked it up. pretty much. (http://www.boxofficemojo.com/genres/chart/?id=musicbio.htm&sort=opengross&order=DESC&p=.htm) I think this could open to like 30 or something though.

• Like 2

Why would the think it would come close to that? Find me another biopic about any musical group that opened anywhere close to that. In fact, I'm willing to bet that no film about musicians has opened to more than about 20 mill.

With all the racial tensions with police in America right now this is the right movie at the right time to make huge bucks. 100m+ is coming, bank on it.

• Like 2

Fixed.

$100 million+ OW?  

The best I think Compton can do OW is 8 Mile's OW adjusted. So $65-70 million OW is best case scenario for this IMO. Maybe $75-80 million since Universal's had a great year so far and 2015 has been host to multiple insane breakouts  :P

$100 million+ OW would just be ridiculous, though... Even with a 2.3x-2.4x, that would be at least $230-240 million DOM finish! I'd love to see that happen, though, because August looks like it'll be quite sleepy without a breakout. 

Edited by mahnamahna

Wow mahhayamama, I know you tend to be bullish, on everything, but you're reaching insane territory with this. 

I didn't say $65-70 million OW was my predict  :lol: I just compared it to 8 Mile's OW adjusted , and said that's really the absolute best it can do OW. I know anything over $20 million is a great result for this. 

I'm thinking $40-45 million OW personally. Maybe $30-35 million if F4 or UNCLE break out somehow. I wouldn't be shocked or upset by $18 million, but I also wouldn't be super-surprised by $58 million, either.