CJohn

The Purge: Election Year | July 1, 2016

The Purge is seriously the first time in my life in which I have not felt any sympathy for a movie's purported protagonists. I truly wanted all the members of the Sandin family to die.

The second movie is much better than the first.

• Like 5

The first purge is awful but I think the majority of moviegoers realize that the Purge was a great idea for a movie and just horribly executed to give the second film a chance and it succeed. The second film is a lot better then the first film and I hope they continue after the events of the second. 

• Like 2

And the first film obviously isn't as "hated" as people said it was.

The sequel outgrossed it.

The first died very fast even for a horror movie. The Purge concept was not used well in it, the second actually used it to good effect and led to word of mouth enabling it to out gross the first despite opening much lower. The 3rd can open on par with the first for sure if promoted well.

The first died very fast even for a horror movie. The Purge concept was not used well in it, the second actually used it to good effect and led to word of mouth enabling it to out gross the first despite opening much lower. The 3rd can open on par with the first for sure if promoted well.

They need to embrace the direction of the second film.

I kinda like the first, but the home invasion thing is just a disservice to a fun concept. The second just...did it right.

Finally got to see Purge 2. As much as I enjoyed the first this one was much better. I hope they try to flesh out that "citizens aren't doing enough killing, so the government randomly selects buildings to kill people in" idea. I knew that was the case as soon as I saw the gear they were wearing, but I think it'd be a great thing to focus on for the 3rd Purge.

Edited by Mattrek Loves Del Toro

I loved the second film in spite of how ham fisted the political allegories were. Although Grillo was awesome, I truly wish that the third film didn't focus on him. I feel that the premise of the series truly lends itself to having a different set if characters on each movie, just so we see all the sociopolitical angles explored properly. In my opinion, this is really a premise that would work with a hypothetical “more of the same” concept but in a way that explores characters. I think the characters in the second movie were better fleshed out than in the first. In any case, I look forward to more films in this series.

I loved the second film in spite of how ham fisted the political allegories were. Although Grillo was awesome, I truly wish that the third film didn't focus on him. I feel that the premise of the series truly lends itself to having a different set if characters on each movie, just so we see all the sociopolitical angles explored properly. In my opinion, this is really a premise that would work with a hypothetical “more of the same” concept but in a way that explores characters. I think the characters in the second movie were better fleshed out than in the first. In any case, I look forward to more films in this series.

Also the characters in Purge 2 had higher IQ points.

The daughter's boyfriend in the first was beyond stupid, among others.

• Like 1

Also the characters in Purge 2 had higher IQ points.

The daughter's boyfriend in the first was beyond stupid, among others.

True! :)

I was seriously hoping that the film had one of those bleak endings in which everyone dies.

I think the kids were particularly cringe-worthy.

The biggest suprise is the fact it even got to 3 movies

I'm not surprised whatsoever.

The first film had its problems, but it was marketed really well.

The second is pretty damn awesome.

And it's a fun concept. And they're fucking cheap to make.

No surprise whatsoever.

• Like 1