CJohn

Wednesday Numbers | Apes 2 - 6.64M (Spatula) | All Numbers in the First Post | NO DERAILMENTS

Wed $268,098

-13.2% / -22.5%

$324,989,710 / 48

$176,835

-13.4% / -42.8%

$224,275,891 / 48

$787,826

-19.7% / -13%

$224,486,306 / 48

Congrats to Maleficent for over taking Oz at the same points in their runs. The legs on this beast are amazing, I know it's summer but the dailies are triple and more than quadruple Alice and Oz, respectively.

Edited by A Song of Iceroll and Fire
  • Like 6

If Fox is planning anything to get DOFP an extra 1-2m, they'd better do it sooner rather than later. Or the X-Films could look like this at the top of their domestic list:

1. X-Men: The Last Stand 234.36m

2. X-Men: Days of Future Past 233.36m

I know for a fact Rupert Murdoch has at least one mil set aside which he uses as kindling for his ridiculously ginormous fireplace.

• Like 3

And now it begins the bloodbath. The first victim was DUFE. From here until the end of August we have like 3 new wide releases per week. 

• Like 1

HTTYD2's daily grosses are almost 2x those of KFP2 at the same time in its run. Yes, it had Memorial Day and some good weekday legs, but as soon as Cars 2 released it dropped like a rock. Four straight weekend-to-weekend/week-to-week drops of o/u 50%, three straight weeks where it lost half its theaters.The Wednesday TF3 released, KFP2 was down 65% from the previous Wednesday. It lost 1,250 theaters (I'm sure Paramount had something to do with this) and dropped 60% on 4th of July weekend. Other than the 4th itself, it didn't have a single day where it was down less than 35% week-to-week from June 24 until July 21. By then it was only in 250 theaters.Actually, KFP2 is IMO still more shocking than HTTYD2 no matter what, because of how much its admissions dropped compared to KFP1. HTTYD1's unadjusted gross is a little higher than KFP1's, but it had that huge 3D share. KFP1 adjusts to $20m more, and it had no 3D. KFP2 dropped $50m (or ~$75m adjusted) with 3 years of inflation, plus the addition of 3D (and probably a higher share than Dragon 2's anemic 32%). Even with a shorter gap between films, KFP2 still lost more of its predecessor's audience than HTTYD2 will.Doesn't really make HTTYD2's performance look much better, but it DOES make KFP2's look even weaker.

Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 3

Not bad for Apes.  Not good for Apes.....just normal.  First weekday numbers don't mean anything,  There is a pattern and it is followed all the time.  You should know this keyser.....you've been following box office for long enough.

it does mean something. big drop on wednesday and we can definitely predict its 2nd weekend. I was hoping it will show some sign of really good legs. I guess not. 

• Like 1

Isn't that a very good theatre count drop for HTTYD2? I thought it would go below 2,000 with the new releases, Planes first and foremost.

That's what I was saying. As I said before, on KFP2's sixth weekend it was down to 1,250. It lost 947 when Cars 2 opened, and another 1,246 when TF3 dropped 5 days later. So in the space of a week it lost almost 60% of its locations. Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 1