Fancyarcher

Disney's A Wrinkle in Time | 9th March, 2018 | Frozen's Jennifer Lee writing, Ava DuVernay directing. 45% on RT

Still this film is not clicking with me ... don't know what or how, but there's something missing with it, though it has all the elements for a big blockbuster numbers: black+woman directing, Frozen+woman writing, leading role, black cast+american celebrity (Oprah) ... but still... i feel this is Tomorrowland 2.0: Dragland.

Hope i'm wrong and it makes tons of money though. 

11 hours ago, Fancyarcher said:

The book's popularity is pretty North American specific. It wouldn't surprise me if the film didn't do "great" numbers OS. 

Until last year, I'd not heard of it which isn't necessarily a handicap for audiences but Disney will need to market it well OS

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Until last year, I'd not heard of it which isn't necessarily a handicap for audiences but Disney will need to market it well OS

I could see it doing well enough in English language markets, and not so much elsewhere. They're probably going to play up the fantasy aspect a lot in the marketing. 

Edited by Fancyarcher
  • Like 1

http://deadline.com/2018/02/a-wrinkle-in-time-ava-duvernay-crowdfunding-screenings-underprivileged-kids-1202301068/

Similar to the crowd-funding #BlackPantherChallenge which raised thousands of dollars for children to see Disney/Marvel’s Black Panther for free, Color of Change and AMC Theatres are teaming for Give A Child The Universe initiative which will give underprivileged kids the opportunity to see Ava DuVernay’s A Wrinkle in Time for free starting on March 9, the pic’s release date.

Starting today, Give A Child The Universe encourages individual and group benefactors to purchase and donate tickets to the movie, enabling children to see A Wrinkle in Time at a matinee showing at their local AMC Theatres location. Using the donations, Color of Change will distribute tickets to a network of local partners, schools and community-based organizations, allowing children to enjoy this highly anticipated title regardless of economic challenges.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, meriodejaneiro said:

Still this film is not clicking with me ... don't know what or how, but there's something missing with it, though it has all the elements for a big blockbuster numbers: black+woman directing, Frozen+woman writing, leading role, black cast+american celebrity (Oprah) ... but still... i feel this is Tomorrowland 2.0: Dragland.

Hope i'm wrong and it makes tons of money though. 

It has what for big blockbuster numbers?

9 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

What?  Valerian's reviews came out far earlier than just a day and 10 hours from release.

Full 10 days yes.

First reviews:

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/valerian_and_the_city_of_a_thousand_planets/reviews/?page=13&sort=

July 10, 2017

First release:

USA 21 July 2017
Czech Republic

20 July 2017

If I remember is graph a lot of numbers did seem strange, like shifting from social media to reviews embargo or something like that to augment is correlation and make a nicer graph

For example wonder woman:

Embargo*: Wednesday, May 18, 10:00 p.m. ET
Public release: Thursday, June 1, 7 p.m. ET

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

@CJohn looks like the Portuguese release is getting cancelled because it's shit :jeb!: I don't think Disney has ever kept an embargo that late in recent years; even the SW embargoes were lifted before then.

Do you think your "BP #1  four weekends in a row"  still has a chance? BP is dropping more than expected this weekend