Fancyarcher

Disney's A Wrinkle in Time | 9th March, 2018 | Frozen's Jennifer Lee writing, Ava DuVernay directing. 45% on RT

2 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Tracking in the mid-30s and an embargo that lifts one day before the movie is out.

I said weeks ago that this will be undertracked like 90% of family films and reviews don't really matter for this kind of movie, unless they're abysmal. Ask Alice, Maleficent, Oz, etc. Why am I supposed to be convinced this is bombing again? 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

I said weeks ago that this will be undertracked like 90% of family films and reviews don't really matter for this kind of movie, unless they're abysmal. Ask Alice, Maleficent, Oz, etc. Why am I supposed to be convinced this is bombing again? 

This isn’t as well known as those three properties you mentioned. 

13 hours ago, Jay Hollywood said:

Mehhhh, Seems slightly over cut. the moving shot at 21 seconds is forced, unneeded, makes it feel clunky. Scene needs a longer shot or a wide angle. Guessing the scene will start or end with one, but still. 

Are we commenting on the shots in a clip now just because of who the director is?

:rolleyes:

13 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

Those movies were arriving with infinitely more built-in brand recognition and hype than this is. This seems more akin to something like Tomorrowland.

• Like 2

Clips are almost always chopped up, they are almost never really a full scene. I don't think that the film looks good but come on, lets not pretend that we don't all know that.

Yeah, I don't get the comparison to Alice on the box office front. Was Alice ever tracking to do 35mil? Was Oz? I remember when Tomorrowland's tracking was doubted.

Edited by Zakiyyah6

Anyway if this film really is bad or mediocre ava is still doing a great job at marketing it and trying to ride off the Black Panther hype. But this would never get the same support that Black Panther or even Hidden Figures did from the black community anyway. 

• Like 1

The trailers and marketing seem more focused than Tomorrowland. TL though looked larger in scope and promised to be more of an event earlier on which it was at almost twice the budget.

Embargo lifting on the day before release - especially for a Disney film though is not promising.  If it does TL numbers it would probably eventually break even or make a profit because of the budget and the long life of  children/family films for Disney. 

Still, it would be bad news for Ana.  I wonder how much she's kicking herself for not accepting Black Panther instead.

• Like 2

Point of reference:

Tomorrowland adjusted is 35/102.  Not much of a difference between 33/93, but enough to push it over the 100m line

If I were to guess, I'll go with 40/120.  A bit above Tomorrowland but not a huge breakout hit.

Do hope I'm wrong though.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Yeah, I don't get the comparison to Alice on the box office front. Was Alice ever tracking to do 35mil? Was Oz? I remember when Tomorrowland's tracking was doubted.

Alice 2 was tracking to do $55-60M over the four-day weekend, but it kept going down over the weekend.

As for that review embargo... YEESH... I can't remember the last time Disney lifted a review embargo that close to release (not including Star Wars since Disney always puts that off to the very end). Cars 3 (68%) and Pirates 5 (29%) both had theirs lifted the Monday before release, so I'm wondering if this even hits 20% RT... Damn.

Edited by PNF2187

1 hour ago, TalismanRing said:

The trailers and marketing seem more focused than Tomorrowland. TL though looked larger in scope and promised to be more of an event earlier on which it was at almost twice the budget.

Embargo lifting on the day before release - especially for a Disney film though is not promising.  If it does TL numbers it would probably eventually break even or make a profit because of the budget and the long life of  children/family films for Disney. 

Still, it would be bad news for Ana.  I wonder how much she's kicking herself for not accepting Black Panther instead.

If the film really is bad it might be a good thing she didn't accept Black Panther. We'll see though it might be too early to say. I personally LOVED Selma and love her show Queen Sugar. Maybe she is better for smaller projects. 

Edited by ban1o

16 minutes ago, ban1o said:

If the film really is bad it might be a good thing she didn't accept Black Panther. We'll see though it might be too early to say. I personally LOVED Selma and love her show Queen Sugar. Maybe she is better for smaller projects. 

Might be, though Marvel has a huge well honed infrastructure to support a director and well Feige.

Just can’t seem to get myself excited for this. The trailer played in front of BP and I was like, MEH! Something about it just seems bland. I hope I’m wrong and it’s actually good and does well. Ava clearly has talent and even if it doesn’t do well she’ll be fine, I’m sure. 

Well, the incoherent trailers were certainly a red flag. While coherent, easy-to-grasp trailers don't necessarily guarantee a good movie, incoherent trailers tend to guarantee a mess of a movie, because if the pros cutting the trailers aren't finding a core narrative, it most likely isn't there.

Plus, the whole affair seems so culturally specific to (North) America that it's hard to see it resonating much with overseas audiences. In fact, cruel as it may sound, for overseas it's hard to envision anything other than major bombage for this movie.

• Like 1