CJohn

Frozen II | Nov 22 2019 | 2nd Most Profitable Movie of 2019. Disney does it again! | Documentary series coming to D+ June 26

5 hours ago, damnitgeorge08 said:

Here comes the movie that can challenge star wars in money-makng.

5 hours ago, cannastop said:

Not really.

I assume @damnitgeorge08 meant total revenue and not just BO.

A year or so ago Iger said Frozen moved into the top 5 of Disney Franchises.

Mickey, Princesses, Pooh, Cars, Frozen, Toy Story.

Star Wars sells a ton of toys but Frozen sells a ton of everything.

• Like 2

This film will likely break the record set by Shrek 2, for the highest animated sequel opening. With inflation, Shrek 2 opened to a whopping $153 million.

Considering that Frozen 2 is a Thanksgiving release (Wednesday-Sunday), I think it could gross $170M+ during the five-day period.

• Like 2

Just now, cheesypoofs said:

Ohh, okay. I agree with that then. I thought those were your Frozen 2 numbers. I was gonna say, I just don't see Frozen 2 going much over 400m lol

Same, it'll have a big 5 Day ($140M-$150M), but finish around ~$450M, depending on competition.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, cheesypoofs said:

Ohh, okay. I agree with that then. I thought those were your Frozen 2 numbers. I was gonna say, I just don't see Frozen 2 going much over 400m lol

6 hours ago, YourMother said:

Same, it'll have a big 5 Day ($140M-$150M), but finish around ~$450M, depending on competition.

150/450 is an 5D/DOM result that's similar to Moana, which is still quite good for legs, but rather shorter than we saw with Frozen. Still, right now, without knowing anything other than the assemblage of the talent from the first film, that's probably a good guess for legs. It should get past 450m pretty easily, though how far depends on how big that opening is. It should crush the Thanksgiving record (opening or otherwise) pretty handily. I wouldn't count out its chances of beating FD for the biggest animated film record, though it probably won't get the animated OW record. (If it does the latter, hoo boy, it's going to be huge.)

Some interesting things about the release date pick, though. With it and the other reshuffles, Disney seems to have decided that a single movie a year is the most they should do for WDAS, while also firmly sticking to the Thanksgiving release. I'm not sure what it says about the development of WiR2 (which got bumped back several months) and Gigantic (bumped back 2 years), but it's possible it doesn't have anything to do with that at all, but rather a desire to even out the production schedules across all films (The Zoo/Moana tandem may not have made for a happy studio) while also branding the Turkey frame as a WDAS tradition.

I do find it interesting that they've pulled a Wrinkle in Time forward a month to WiR's old release date, though. The previous one was okay, but in that post-Easter frame, it was a bit of a dead zone. That move may speak a bit of studio confidence in the film, which is nice considering it's Jennifer Lee's first full script after Frozen.

• Like 3

On 4/26/2017 at 0:40 PM, mcjwserenity said:

This film will likely break the record set by Shrek 2, for the highest animated sequel opening. With inflation, Shrek 2 opened to a whopping $153 million.

Considering that Frozen 2 is a Thanksgiving release (Wednesday-Sunday), I think it could gross $170M+ during the five-day period.

I don't think it's fair to compare 5-day openings to 3-day openings.