CJohn

Frozen II | Nov 22 2019 | 2nd Most Profitable Movie of 2019. Disney does it again! | Documentary series coming to D+ June 26

On 12/28/2018 at 9:31 AM, AndyLL said:

Anna has powers also and she has brought eternal Autumn to Arendelle.

Based on the few picture we've seen, I think this is true, to some extent. Anna seen wearing Autumn coloured clothes as well as a couple leaves lying around...

Turns out this is going to be part 2 of a 4 part series of films!!!

Frozen -> Leafy -> Heatwave -> Flowery

No idea who will have the power to bring eternal Summer and and Spring. /s

• Like 2

23 hours ago, feasby007 said:

Based on the few picture we've seen, I think this is true, to some extent. Anna seen wearing Autumn coloured clothes as well as a couple leaves lying around...

Turns out this is going to be part 2 of a 4 part series of films!!!

Frozen -> Leafy -> Heatwave -> Flowery

No idea who will have the power to bring eternal Summer and and Spring. /s

Summer, Olaf of course!!

Ugh, how the hell did this movie manage to get so lucky yet again with everything moving away now? Zero competition for it the entire month of November and most of December, and arguably no true direct competition for it during its run. Much like the first benefited massively from zero direct competition in its run. Why can't this ever happen for something like Moana or Coco or Spider-verse?

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Ugh, how the hell did this movie manage to get so lucky yet again with everything moving away now? Zero competition for it the entire month of November and most of December, and arguably no true direct competition for it during its run. Much like the first benefited massively from zero direct competition in its run. Why can't this ever happen for something like Moana or Coco or Spider-verse?

The thing to remember is that Sonic the Hedgehog is expected by most people to open to more than Avatar's entire run, so it could still see a bit of a dent.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Uhh, it opened right after the film that still holds the November OW weekend record: THE HUNGER GAMES: CATCHING FIRE.

THOR: THE DARK World also opened 2 weeks before that.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, JB33 said:

Uhh, it opened right after the film that still holds the November OW weekend record: THE HUNGER GAMES: CATCHING FIRE.

THOR: THE DARK World also opened 2 weeks before that.

I believe Movieman meant direct competition as in Animated or family films (specifically PG rated ones)

Edited by YourMother the Edgelord

4 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

I believe Movieman meant direct competition as in Animated or family films (specifically PG rated ones)

I figured, but then COCO didn't really have any either. I don't see a movie like WONDER as direct competition. Direct competition for animated films is ultimately other animated films. I mean, hell, COCO was the only film to open wide over Thanksgiving weekend after a severely underperforming JUSTICE LEAGUE! It had every opportunity to be bigger. 

At the end of the day, FROZEN absolutely blew up and his a massive brand worldwide. So I don't know what the problem is, or see the need to compare it to COCO or MOANA.

I do agree that FROZEN 2 has zero competition this year. I just took issue with his comment about the 1st one. Novembers the last several years have generally shared the same kind of mould or structure so the annual Disney animated Thanksgiving weekend releases generally are on the same footing.

Edited by JB33
  • Like 2

Just now, JB33 said:

I figured, but then COCO didn't really have any either. I don't see a movie like WONDER as direct competition. Direct competition for animated films is ultimately other animated films. I mean, hell, COCO was the only film to open wide over Thanksgiving weekend after a severely underperforming JUSTICE LEAGUE. It had every opportunity to be bigger. 

At the end of the day, FROZEN absolutely blew up and his a massive brand worldwide. So I don't know what the problem is, or see the need to compare it to COCO or MOANA.

Coco had Wonder, Ferdinand and The Greatest Showman and The Star to a lesser extent and Daddy’s Home 2 and Jumanji both of which seem more family skewing than either JL or Thor Ragnarok.

5 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Coco had Wonder, Ferdinand and The Greatest Showman and The Star to a lesser extent and Daddy’s Home 2 and Jumanji both of which seem more family skewing than either JL or Thor Ragnarok.

THE STAR, okay, even though thats was pretty insignificant. The rest are December releases. 1) I thought he was talking about direct competition in the same month. 2) If you're going to cite December releases then FROZEN 2 will have competition as well, with EPISODE IX (Star Wars is just as much a family property as something like Jumanji), the JUMANJI sequel, CATS (a musical, just like THE GREATEST SHOWMAN) etc.

I get what you're saying, I just don't really see the issue here. Decembers are packed with family competition every year. Frozen isn't getting any special favours. Just my opinion, of course.

And again, FROZEN 2, like FROZEN, is going to be big regardless. It's a massive brand. Movies like COCO and MOANA couldn't compete with it anyway so it's pointless to compare.

Edited by JB33
  • Like 2

I agree December competition looks comparable to Coco as far as films that could take away audiences. SW: Episode IX and Jumanji 3 might combine for another $1 billion domestic again. Cats could be another musical crowdpleaser like TGS, albeit on a slightly smaller scale. True there isn't another animated film this time, but it's not like Ferdinand made much either ($84 million domestic).