CJohn

Frozen II | Nov 22 2019 | 2nd Most Profitable Movie of 2019. Disney does it again! | Documentary series coming to D+ June 26

22 hours ago, cannastop said:

I don't think it's fair to compare 5-day openings to 3-day openings.

Shrek 2 opened on a Wednesday. The 128m 5-day pull it had adjusts to about 183m, now. And will probably be a little higher in 2.5 years when Frozen 2 opens. 190-200m-ish?

That's probably the upper bound of what we could expect Frozen 2 to hit. I think it's possible, if rather unlikely. Everything would have to swing its way hype-wise to deliver that.

(If it does pull such an opening, it's probably cruising past FD for biggest animated film, too.)

One possible wrench is Wicked, which opens just prior to Christmas that year. Part of Frozen's zeitgeist was how it tapped into many similar feelings for Wicked. Not specifically the fanbase, per se, though there was overlap. More that it came across as a spiritual successor. We'll have to see what the marketing for Wicked is like, but I expect Universal will be pushing it pretty hard, which may remove Frozen 2's ability to leverage those same feelings.

• Like 1

An untitled Fox/Marvel movie now opens same day as it. I think everyone and their mother know Frozen 2 will be the bigger movie but what effect will the two of them have on each other?

Edited by YourMother

An untitled Fox/Marvel movie now opens same day as it. I think everyone and their mother know Frozen 2 will be the bigger movie but what effect will the two of them have on each other?

Frozen opened against Homefront, Black Nativity, and Oldboy.

Frozen ended up doing fine.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

Frozen opened against Homefront, Black Nativity, and Oldboy.

Frozen ended up doing fine.

This is a superhero movie though. We don't know what it is yet but still could take some dollars. However it won't stop Frozen 2 from doing $400M+, but what effect will they have on each other.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, YourMother said:

This is a superhero movie though. We don't know what it is yet but still could take some dollars. However it won't stop Frozen 2 from doing $400M+, but what effect will they have on each other.

The only franchise that could have a negative effect on Frozen is Star Wars... and I'm not actually even sure about that. Whatever the competition, Frozen isn't going to be affected. The superhero film probably won't be, either. Frozen and Catching Fire didn't have any negative association from their close release dates, and an X-Men offshoot is going to skew even further away from Frozen's primary demographic than CF did.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Yandereprime101189 said:

Unless they somehow make Deadpool 3 by that time or the film turns out to be a X-23 spin-off, Frozen 2 will be absolutely fine (and even if it was one of those two films, it would still do fine). It was a cultural behemoth, and the sequel will likely be huge.

There's nothing that Fox can release that could hurt Frozen 2. Deadpool isn't direct competition, and the other X-Men aren't big enough to affect the Disney movie.

• Like 2

Ah I remember watching the Frozen/Catching Fire runs alongside each other, it was truly a sight to behold, Fire and Ice ruling the box office together, as they both went on to be the highest grossing films of the year WW and DOM respectively. What's even better is that if you count from Frozen's wide release, they were literally released on the same day. The only coexisting runs that come close that I can think of are JW and IO, which released back to back weekends. 

• Like 4