CJohn

Frozen II | Nov 22 2019 | 2nd Most Profitable Movie of 2019. Disney does it again! | Documentary series coming to D+ June 26

Obviously, from a website called "Revenge of the Fans," it should be taken with a grain of salt...but....

I revealed on last Friday’s 69th Edition of The Fanboy Podcast that I’d heard from a couple of very reliable sources that the team behind Frozen 2 are going to pull the trigger by establishing that Elsa is gay in the sequel to the 2013 smash hit, which is currently turning heads on Broadway with a successful stage adaptation. This came after Skyler Schuler of The DisInsider dropped some choice hints.

The exact details remain scarce, and could even evolve a bit now that they’ve added new writer Allison Schroeder to the mix, but there’s talk that they’ll introduce a love interest for Elsa. While I can’t say with certainty who’s playing her, I find it more than a little coincidental that Westworld‘s Evan Rachel Wood has joined the cast. The actress made a splash in the LGBTQ community a couple of years back by coming out as bisexual.

It’s unclear why Schroeder was brought in, but she has a relationship with Disney already thanks to her recent work on Christopher Robin. Prior to that, she co-wrote the screenplay to the historical drama Hidden Figures– a film lauded for its empowerment of women and minorities. Could she have been brought on to help make this bold choice even clearer, or was she perhaps brought in to soften its edges and make it more subtle? At this point, no one knows.

Also from the article, but dives a bit into the story, so spoilers...

Spoiler

Also of note about the current script is that it seems to flashback quite a bit. The current cast of characters in the script includes younger versions of sisters Elsa and Anna, but also- and most notably- their mother, the Queen of Arendelle, who died alongside the King early on in the first movie! That role is another possibility for Evan Rachel Wood, since she’s listed as being between 30 and 40 years of age, and Wood is currently 30.

31 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Figured since there was nothing on that weekend. I bet one of the October releases moves to Thanksgiving now.

Also helps as I imagine after the five day it’d be frontloaded so that helps legs.

Technically Frozen opened on Friday November 22, 2013. Though that was a small preview and the big opening was on Wednesday Nov 27. 

I think it's an interesting move. they get a standard 3-day-opening-weekend  and immediately after they get the thanksgiving week with it's 5-day-week-end.

It seems to me F2 can open on 140M or more, and get a 2nd weekend of around 100M (5-day) if it's very well received. 

What's most impressive is that Disney will have the top 6 or 7 OW's and top 6 or 7 domestic AND WW box office hits of 2019.

Top 5 without question (Lion King, Avengers 4, SW9, TS4, F2) and now that WW1984 has moved, #'s 6 and 7 are likely (Aladdin and Captain Marvel) depending on where SpideyFFH fits in. Oh, and there's also Dumbo too. GEEZ!!!!!

• Like 1